ADVERTISEMENT

Cal quote that has me worried.

Feb 16, 2014
On the importance of adding Jamal Murray and what kind of lineup flexibility he gives UK: “Well, you know I’ve played all kind of different times, whether it’s smaller teams, bigger teams, longer teams. He is a playmaking guard who can play 1 or 2 and can really score the ball. Great in pick and rolls. Can play with Tyler or you could play three guards at times if you chose to do that. But it’s hard to say you’re gonna do that when you have the bigs that we have in Skal, Marcus and Alex if he’s healthy, along with Charles and Mychal. All of the sudden you have Dom and you have Derek, you have a — we have a good team. I mean, we’re like, ‘Let’s start playing. Let’s throw it up.’ ”

All of us already assume we;re gonna have a 3-guard starting lineup, which is the best route to go with our roster, but his words make me think he'll do it situationally & we may see Poy at his worst position.

The offense has so much potential to be fun & efficient with PG trio of ours dominating the minutes. I'd seriously get annoyed if Cal continues to show his lack of offensive creativity by choosing to have 1 of the guards come off the bench.

This doesn't worry anyone a slight bit?

Mainly because its coach speak. Cal is motivating his guards to avoid entitlement... Wants to make sure everyone knows its not set in stone how the team will play and they have to earn it just like everyone else. Also, maybe a bit of confidence being tossed at POY and Lee? Build those guys up some...

No. What Cal says in June, does not necessarily mean what he will do, in November. He is simply saying he has lots of options. When he actually sees how he can put the best talent on the floor, he will make the correct decision.

You're right to be worried, 5iveStarRecruit. Wynyard will be the starting point guard next season. Be very worried.

Reactions: BassCat75
Look at last year, the Platoon system disappeared throughout the season, especially in the tourney. Cal will have the lineup in that gives us the best chance to win in March when it matters.

Reactions: susan2361
You're right to be worried, 5iveStarRecruit. Wynyard will be the starting point guard next season. Be very worried.

giphy.gif

Look at last year, the Platoon system disappeared throughout the season, especially in the tourney. Cal will have the lineup in that gives us the best chance to win in March when it matters.

There is still some thought that the shortening of the roster in March was the reason we lost; especially down the stretch against Wisconsin when he went away from his normal 3-guard approach with Ulis and the Twins. Second-guessing is one the great skills of the BBN. More to come!

I simply can't fathom starting Poythress, Lee, and Skal and having... Willis and Matthews as "big man" subs?

Cal has always played his best players.

When the tourney rolls around, his top six are going to play around 30 minutes every game.

That should be his six 5-star guys (Ulis, Briscoe, Murray, Poythress, Labissiere, and Lee).

Sometimes it will be three guards and two bigs. Sometimes it will be two guards and three bigs.

A lack of depth inside probably dictates that he will have to play three guards together a lot.

On the importance of adding Jamal Murray and what kind of lineup flexibility he gives UK: “Well, you know I’ve played all kind of different times, whether it’s smaller teams, bigger teams, longer teams. He is a playmaking guard who can play 1 or 2 and can really score the ball. Great in pick and rolls. Can play with Tyler or you could play three guards at times if you chose to do that. But it’s hard to say you’re gonna do that when you have the bigs that we have in Skal, Marcus and Alex if he’s healthy, along with Charles and Mychal. All of the sudden you have Dom and you have Derek, you have a — we have a good team. I mean, we’re like, ‘Let’s start playing. Let’s throw it up.’ ”

All of us already assume we;re gonna have a 3-guard starting lineup, which is the best route to go with our roster, but his words make me think he'll do it situationally & we may see Poy at his worst position.

The offense has so much potential to be fun & efficient with PG trio of ours dominating the minutes. I'd seriously get annoyed if Cal continues to show his lack of offensive creativity by choosing to have 1 of the guards come off the bench.

If Mulder and Matthews are bigs, then Lee and Willis are the ones that should be worried.

1) this is coach-talk. It would be stupid at this point, before spending any time on the court with this group as a team to say here is how we will play.
2) I would prefer my coach to be flexible and go with whatever group/style is going to perform the best rather than prematurely commit to one.
3) There will be times/opponents where going big will be better, and times/opponents where going small will be better.
4) I think we will play with 3-guards most of the time, but not all of the time, I'd say 35mpg we will (counting Mulder & Matthews as guards).

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Murray is a better overall player than Briscoe but if we need a beefy guard who can Impose his will then Briscoe is ur man.

I don't take much from that quote from Cal and especially when it's only June. He has to say some things like that to keep all players interested and focused heading into the season. But, I would bet that we will see the 3 guard offense, when all things are settled, no matter what he is saying right now. I'm thinking he will definitely go with the 5 best guys on the roster as his starters and the ones seeing the most minutes this season. The rest of the rotation will be interesting to see how it pans out.

This may be the silliest post of the year. Coach Cal is likely the best coach in the country and he is certainly the best recruiter. Why would any fan question his coaching decisions?

The only way I see it happening is if he is a big defensive liability and Cal sees no sign of it improving.

I'm not worried. Cal has got this and he will put the Cats in position to win a lot of games.

"All of the sudden you have Dom and you have Derek, you have a — we have a good team. I mean, we’re like, ‘Let’s start playing. Let’s throw it up.’ ”

I'm terrified... I mean who wants their coach elated to start the season based upon a extremely talented diverse roster, if only we had less good players....

There is still some thought that the shortening of the roster in March was the reason we lost; especially down the stretch against Wisconsin when he went away from his normal 3-guard approach with Ulis and the Twins. Second-guessing is one the great skills of the BBN. More to come!

I sure would have liked to seen more subbing in that game, we may have lost by 20 by subbing more but it also would have gave us the run we needed to put game out of reach.

ADVERTISEMENT