ADVERTISEMENT

Cal (Golden Bears) is not in LA

StubbornPenny

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2009
I keep seeing people on here saying Brown chose the beach and the babes over UK. A lot of people on this board have never been to California! North California is not the sunny beach California. It's pretty much windy and 64 degrees constantly, everyone wears layers, and it's incredibly hilly. The beaches there are more cliff/stone type beaches, and if you do find a sand beach, the water is really cold. It's a 5-6 hour drive to LA and it's scene.

Actually people here would like it. Once you get to the outskirts of the bay area, it's a lot of super redneck shanty towns and country type folk, but also with random wineries and occasionally, a grow operation.

Reactions: brianpoe
I keep seeing people on here saying Brown chose the beach and the babes over UK. A lot of people on this board have never been to California! North California is not the sunny beach California. It's pretty much windy and 64 degrees constantly, everyone wears layers, and it's incredibly hilly. The beaches there are more cliff/stone type beaches, and if you do find a sand beach, the water is really cold. It's a 5-6 hour drive to LA and it's scene.

Actually people here would like it. Once you get to the outskirts of the bay area, it's a lot of super redneck shanty towns and country type folk, but also with random wineries and occasionally, a grow operation.
Alot of people think the whole state of California is sun and beaches, but that's basically just Socal.

I agree, it's been funny to watch the reaction.

Berkeley is a boring, pretty cold and windy nerd town.

SoCal Beautiful weather and beaches. NoCal cool and windy overcast a lot with the marine layer in the mornings. Climate seems to change around Sacramento. I love SoCal especially as a car guy since it is the land of hot rods. Northern Cal is beautiful especially around Carmel and Big Sur but too cool and cloudy for me.

Once you get to the outskirts of the bay area, it's a lot of super redneck shanty towns and country type folk, but also with random wineries and occasionally, a grow operation.

I'm not sure where these "super redneck shanty towns" are. The "Bay Area" is geographically huge and is one of the most desirable (and expensive) places to live in the country. Also, Berkley is one of the best public colleges in the country. I have no idea why Brown went to Cal, but if he went there b/c he wants to live in the San Francisco area and go to school at Cal, those would be very good reasons to do so.

cant agree with this ^^^^^^^ we lived in westwood for 5 years while the wife got her doctorate at UCLA. would love to be back there, and wish we would have never come back to KY. I do like northern calif. though. just totally different then SOCAL. But SOCAL has everything, just an awesome place

I agree with, SoCal is much better than NoCal. I like the Northern Part of the state, but Love SoCal; I would move there in a second and I am looking at options to do that. Great place, everything to do, perfect weather, great beaches, great Restaurants tons of Classic Cars and Hot Rods. Headed back in a few weeks, looking forward to dinner at Dukes in Malibu.

Reactions: brianpoe
There's a (formerly) famous standard called "The Lady Is a Tramp" which is a catalog of the things a woman does which run against the grain of acceptable opinion. It has the line "Can't stand California/It's cold and it's damp/That's why the lady is a tramp."

It isn't only Northern California that's cold and damp. If the Santa Ana isn't blowing Southern California is cold and damp too.

I'm not sure where these "super redneck shanty towns" are..

I can't say EXACTLY, but we drove north on the PCH out of San Fran, hitting all the weird beach villages and wineries, and we ran into a lot of one strip, wooden building towns, selling all kinds of weird stuff. It was like driving in Maine and Kentucky at the same time. But in California.

"The coldest winter I've spent was a summer in San Francisco"

I have lived in Monterey twice, each time for a year, and it's basically the same. Don't have to go all the way to SoCal though. Santa Cruz has pretty nice beaches.

Lived in Southern California for 20 years. If you don't live very close to any beach, then traveling time in almost always heavy traffic will be anywhere between an hour and a half to several hours. By the time you get there you usually are so tired of driving bumper-to-bumper, you can't fully enjoy the water and the waves. There is also the matter of finding a place to park your vehicle when you get there. Limited number of parking spaces, and sometimes you will have to park several blocks away and walk.
To live anywhere close to the beach is very expensive.
Oxnard we avoided because the beach had balls of tar that stuck to your shoes or feet and was messy and hard to clean.
The further North you go along the coastline the windier it gets. Ventura is nice little city with somewhat cleaner beach, but the winds are strong.
Further north you come to Santa Barbara, The city is nice, but to live there you have to pay high rent or be able to purchase a very expensive property.
Some of the towns along the Pacific coast highway are nice, but usually reserved for the rich who can afford to live there.
San Jose, Oakland and San Francisco are next but each has a few things you might call advantage and other things like in Oakland's case a negative because of its high crime rate.
We chose to leave the state after my wife and I retired, for several reasons which I won't go into that.

The only thing they have is Blondie's Pizza. So many Asians and liberals at Cal. It's NOT a basketball school at all.

"Damn Cuonzo, you didn't tell me that the closest city to here is Oakland. They ain't got s**t in Oakland." -Jaylen Brown in 4 months.

Reactions: JFCats22
it's windy as crap. the views from berkeley hills are fantastic, and it's a nice college town. but tremors ugh. it's also dominated by a big interchange near by and the worst roads ever. downtown oakland is actually a happening spot now. but everywhere between there and berkeley is pretty rough. the same going north too. i know cause i lived in richmond for a while.

basically you have a melting pot of people. that part is exciting. some of the homeless people have phd's lol. that's berkeley though. not a regional sports pride like the southeast. but you have all of the giants, a's, raiders, and warriors 5 miles away, niners just a couple more. huge pro sports city obviously. maybe the teenager wanted to feel grown up. for better or worse. there's so much going on he will have a limited college experience in the classic sense. which is probably what he wanted.

the beach and the babes and the weather is la for sure. but in sports, entertainment, cuisine, topography, charm, i like it better up north. jmho

So Cal is many things. Cold and damp aren't on the list.

Nonsense. Over the past 20 years we've visited my in-laws there many times and almost every time we've had to buy warmer clothing. And we only visit in the summer months. One year we had to buy sweatshirts when we went to Sea World in San Diego. The Central Valley is hot and dry and obviously so is the Mojave, but the ocean current off California is cold water. Is Pismo Beach SoCal? That was the coldest summer temps I've ever endured. Water dripped from our tent roof just from the fog.

I'm not sure where these "super redneck shanty towns" are. The "Bay Area" is geographically huge and is one of the most desirable (and expensive) places to live in the country. Also, Berkley is one of the best public colleges in the country. I have no idea why Brown went to Cal, but if he went there b/c he wants to live in the San Francisco area and go to school at Cal, those would be very good reasons to do so.

the bay area is one of the crappiest places to live. there is literally no work life balance for people here and it's hugely expensive. so cal is wayyy better to live in. and it has beaches where you can actually swim without a wetsuit

Nonsense. Over the past 20 years we've visited my in-laws there many times and almost every time we've had to buy warmer clothing. And we only visit in the summer months. One year we had to buy sweatshirts when we went to Sea World in San Diego. The Central Valley is hot and dry and obviously so is the Mojave, but the ocean current off California is cold water. Is Pismo Beach SoCal? That was the coldest summer temps I've ever endured. Water dripped from our tent roof just from the fog.

Where in So Cal are you going? Pismo is in San Luis Obispo county, ie, nowhere near So Cal.

San Diego is definitely cooler than LA, but still nothing compares to the climates up north.

Where in So Cal are you going? Pismo is in San Luis Obispo county, ie, nowhere near So Cal.

San Diego is definitely cooler than LA, but still nothing compares to the climates up north.

Because of the mountains that dot SoCal there are a blue million micro-climates. My in-laws live in the Inland Empire which should be hotter than snot, but except for the time the AC failed during a Santa Ana, it's been cooler than Kentucky. We just got back from a visit. It was 32 degrees the last morning up in mountains. In the past we tended to camp, but now our aged bodies can't do it. When we stayed on Pismo Beach, the fog kept us miserable while sunshine smiled on the ridge behind the beach. San Luis Obisbo was snooty and impossible but our day trip there was at least sunny. There are pictures of us in coats in Monterrey. Carlsbad Beach was so cold that even my daughter gave up swimming after a few minutes. When we tried to swim at Silverwood I thought my heart was going to stop it was so cold. We've had warm days. Just a few years ago we did the Graumann's Chinese day trip. We're in tee shirts. And our over-night to Santa Barbara was fantastic. But the humidity bounces around like crazy. If it's sunny with low humidity the desert air doesn't hold the heat. Here in Kentucky the heat of the day is around 5. In SoCal, I've noticed it getting noticeably cooler around 1. But when the wind's off that damn cold Pacific and the humidity rises the cold damp gets in your bones.

But the north is worse. 2 years ago, I had to buy a thermal bikers shirt for our quick visit to San Francisco. In July.

I have lived in Monterey twice, each time for a year, and it's basically the same. Don't have to go all the way to SoCal though. Santa Cruz has pretty nice beaches.
Love Santa Cruz. Was in the Navy and we anchored out once near Monterey in Carmel. Clint Eastwood was Mayor at the time.

To U9K ... why didn't you attribute "your" saying to its original proclaimant -- Mark Twain?

the bay area is one of the crappiest places to live. there is literally no work life balance for people here and it's hugely expensive. so cal is wayyy better to live in. and it has beaches where you can actually swim without a wetsuit

Yep. The wetsuit you have to have up north is ridiculous. Down here in SoCal, during the winter months the thickest wetsuit you'll need is 3/2 while in NorCal it is freezing all the time and you'll need a 5/4 or 4/3 and you have to worry about Great Whites.

I've been to both and have lived in SoCal for quite some time. They're both a lot of fun but I prefer SoCal. The weather and beaches are much better.

Reactions: CGblue
To U9K ... why didn't you attribute "your" saying to its original proclaimant -- Mark Twain?

Maybe because it isn't his. Twain attracts witty quotes the way Winston Churchill does. My favorite Twain quote is "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." which was actually from another wit Edgar Wilson Nye.

Snopes.com has a whole raft of quotes that Twain has been credited for. http://www.snopes.com/quotes/twain.asp

Pretty sure most of us know that. Was it Mark Twain who once said summer in San Francisco was the coldest winter he ever spent? That was my experience one of the many times I've been out there. It was July, and it was kind of like May in Boulder, Cloudy, rainy, and in the 50's.

There are probably 10 climate zones around San Francisco Bay Area. You have to dress in layers. It can be foggy and cool near the Presidio and sunny and warm in San Jose. Berkeley is generally cool, but not as cool/foggy as the ocean side of San Francisco. Alcatraz is ridiculously windy and cold. San Rafael is warm in the day cool at night. Palo Alto is generally nice all the time. It really is a fascinating place.

Southern California is much warmer, though the areas near the beach are generally cooler than inland due to the breezes, especially at night. It rarely rains outside of January/February though.

Spent 4 years in LA AND currently live about 15 minutes from Cal. So Cal way better. Especially for someone who grew up in kentucky. Barbecues. Bathing suits are what a summer is made of. Except here. It's winter in the summer and the women are pretty much an average of 6. the city is ok but if you don't own some tech company that extremely over evaluated, you can't live there. I can't imagine why anyone would tho. East bay is 20 degrees warmer an way better looking. Did Mention we are running out of water here. Like a year away from being bone dry and no one seems to even acknowledge it. It's the strangest thing.
When I heard he chose cal, I just can't imagine why. What an idiot. Cal will still suck.

Spent 4 years in LA AND currently live about 15 minutes from Cal. So Cal way better. Especially for someone who grew up in kentucky. Barbecues. Bathing suits are what a summer is made of. Except here. It's winter in the summer and the women are pretty much an average of 6. the city is ok but if you don't own some tech company that extremely over evaluated, you can't live there. I can't imagine why anyone would tho. East bay is 20 degrees warmer an way better looking. Did Mention we are running out of water here. Like a year away from being bone dry and no one seems to even acknowledge it. It's the strangest thing.
When I heard he chose cal, I just can't imagine why. What an idiot. Cal will still suck.

Our introduction to Southern California began innocently enough. We booked a flight that would get us into LAX before the rush hour. Except the afternoon rush hour in Southern California begins about 15 minutes after the morning rush hour ends. It took us longer to drive from LAX to Alta Loma than the connecting flight from Chicago took to get us to California. There's more of everything in California except time. (And now water.) We were just there last week and while I babysat with the kid, the women went to get the fixins for dinner from the local Vons. If we lived in Portland (the Louisville West End neighborhood) I could have gone shopping in J-Town (the Louisville East End suburb) in the same amount of time. The kid was a newborn when they left for the grocery. He had learned to read by the time they got back.

So, I guess I'm agreeing that if the kid went to Cal for the weather he made a mistake. I bet he had other reasons.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT