ADVERTISEMENT

Briscoe's position

Boozer93

Freshman
Mar 18, 2007
Admittedly I have only watched his All Star games and youtube.....but why do people see him playing the role of a 2 guard.

Have our coaches indicated in any way that he and Ullis will play in same backcourt. I know Cal will find a way to get him minutes for recruiting sake.

We also know that Bledsoe did it, but he was a super freak above the rim type athlete.

We know we want the best players on the court, but I just don't see Briscoe being effective without the ball in his hands...and if that is the case I don't see how he and Ullis fit together in the same back court.

I guess time will tell and Cal will figure it out,

GO CATS!!!

Because he's naturally a scoring guard. Recruiting analysts didn't see him as a very good facilitator until he got on the all-star circuit. Combo guard may be more descriptive of his style. Shooting guards don't have to play above the rim. Hell, they rarely ever do. Aaron Harrison wasn't athletic, and he was a 2 guard.
Briscoe is a terrific ball handler, he utilizes dribble penetration well and can score at the rim. He's big for the average college 2 guard (6'4, 220#), and he's shown that he can shoot the ball well and score a number of ways, or he can pass it if needed.
Expect him to play the 2.

Edit: Andrew Harrison played the 2 while Ulis ran the point many times.

Reactions: brianpoe
Imagine this:

Three guards that can handle exceptionally well, can pass exceptionally well, and can all shoot the ball very well on the floor at the same time.

On offense, they are virtually interchangeable.

Imagine they also all have subtle differences.

One is a pass first facilitator, who would rather get a teammate a shot than take the shot, even though he shoots a high percentage (Ulis).

One is a tough, physical kid who loves to get to the rim. He loves to go in and get fouled and does not shy from contact. He can also find the open man if the defense collapses (Briscoe).

The last one can score from anywhere on the floor. He can attack and finish at the rim. He can drain the long range shot. He can score in bunches and he can also create for others off the dribble (Murray).

This is what Cal is trying to put together for his backcourt. With Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray he has a pure PG and two combo guards in the truest sense of the term in that they call handle and pass like PGs and shoot and score like SGs.

This might be the perfect backcourt for Cal and his DDMO, if he pulls it off. In the DDMO, the more guys that can handle the ball, the better off you are.

Defensively, they should work well together:

Ulis(5'9, 155)- guards the 1 with lots of ball pressure.
Briscoe(6'4, 220)- can guard 1-3 spot, will likely be guarding the best perimeter scorer.
Murray(6'5, 205)- can guard the 1-3 spot.

I think this is going to be a really fun team to watch if we get Murray.

Ulis and Briscoe will work well together, but they are really going to be outstanding with Murray in there as well, IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brando Mac
Briscoe will play the 2 most of the time but will switch and play the 1 when needed. He is a great ball handler and can score. Will be fun watching him play this coming year.

I think there's way too much attention paid to a player's being "a 1" or "a 2" or "a 3", etc. If a kid can play, then he can play. It's just like Poythress. Calipari wasted him in many games trying to make him a "3", when Alex is, and will always be, an undersized "4". But let us not forget Chuck Hayes - at 6'6". Or Barkley at 6'5"+. Was either of them "a 3" ??? Alex will do fine in the NBA as an undersized "4", if people just let him be what he is and stop trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Same for Ulis and Briscoe. Each will be fine - at U.K. and thereafter.

I'm not worried in the slightest about Ulis and Briscoe playing in the same backcourt.

Just MHO, of course.

Reactions: Brando Mac
What does that mean "ball in his hands"? Any attacking threat is whose hands we want the ball in.

Admittedly I have only watched his All Star games and youtube.....but why do people see him playing the role of a 2 guard.

Have our coaches indicated in any way that he and Ullis will play in same backcourt. I know Cal will find a way to get him minutes for recruiting sake.

We also know that Bledsoe did it, but he was a super freak above the rim type athlete.

We know we want the best players on the court, but I just don't see Briscoe being effective without the ball in his hands...and if that is the case I don't see how he and Ullis fit together in the same back court.

I guess time will tell and Cal will figure it out,

GO CATS!!!

Not sure what ur talking about, their is only one ball and 10 players on the court.

Ideally you would want everybody on the floor to be able to do at least a little bit of everything. Unfortunately, most of the time, when someone has spent most of their career being the primary ball handler, they aren't good without the ball. Hopefully that isn't the case next year.

I think it's the kids that are volume scorers in high school that have the hardest time adjusting.

Briscoe was more of a facilitating combo guard than a volume guy.

Same with Murray. Hopefully that bodes well.

I think it's the kids that are volume scorers in high school that have the hardest time adjusting.

Briscoe was more of a facilitating combo guard than a volume guy.

Same with Murray. Hopefully that bodes well.

Like John Wall? Or Brandon Knight?

That's the genius of Cal...he knows what to do with 'volume' scorers

Because he's naturally a scoring guard. Recruiting analysts didn't see him as a very good facilitator until he got on the all-star circuit. Combo guard may be more descriptive of his style. Shooting guards don't have to play above the rim. Hell, they rarely ever do. Aaron Harrison wasn't athletic, and he was a 2 guard.
Briscoe is a terrific ball handler, he utilizes dribble penetration well and can score at the rim. He's big for the average college 2 guard (6'4, 220#), and he's shown that he can shoot the ball well and score a number of ways, or he can pass it if needed.
Expect him to play the 2.

Edit: Andrew Harrison played the 2 while Ulis ran the point many times.

Rhavicc I find your post informative and interesting. You have good stuff. In the quote above about Briscoe's height and weight I have found him commonly listed at 6'3" 200# from media outlets. So your stats are very close to what I have found. Your breakdown is spot on and I agree he plays the 2 also!

If we actually run the DDMO it won't really matter.

I think there are a lot of if's involved. Will any of the upper class man step up turn into gym rats be all that they can be. these things are all unknown to us at this time. From news reports we know that Lee, Ulis and Poythress are in the gym everyday. the 2015 recruits should be there the first week of June. IMO there are still to many unknowns..

Rhavicc I find your post informative and interesting. You have good stuff. In the quote above about Briscoe's height and weight I have found him commonly listed at 6'3" 200# from media outlets. So your stats are very close to what I have found. Your breakdown is spot on and I agree he plays the 2 also!

Last measurements I saw were the Nike Hoops Summit numbers:

6'3.5 with shoes.
218 lbs.

He can defend the 1-3 spots no problem.

We haven't run the dribble drive much in recent years. But I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we did this year, especially if we get Murray. Cal seems to adjust his style to his personel.

So if that's the case, it really doesn't matter who plays what guard spot. Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray would all be outside guys who can drive and either finish or dish to the open man. And yes I believe Briscoe can be VERY effective in that role.

Of course I'm not the coach so I don't know for sure what he'll have them do. But having three guards like that who can all shoot, pass, and handle the ball will give our offense a lot of options.

Thanks for the info. It's funny sometimes when a recruit gets hot that suddenly he grows 2 inches and gains 15 to 20 pounds. I'm very excited about Briscoe being a Cat. He is a thick young man in the upper torso, chest and shoulders. Can't wait to see him suit up!

Actually no. A leader/coach can be any position on the floor. You can be pg and/or a sg but to define them is dumb. Defining a player by a position is what basketball purists think

Unless of course you are Rajon Rondo and can't shoot and are a pass first/only point guard because he has to be. Celtics would have won the title with any average pg.
You ever watch Curry? He plays off the ball, and goes around screens like a 2 guard but also can play like a pg

Lastly, my original point was Briscoe can play the 1 or the 2 so he shouldn't be shoehorned into a particular position

Last edited:
He'll play the 2, but how awesome's my new avatar? Right? LOL. Cant wait for some loser card fan to come here and see it, then get their panties in a wad. HA HA. But yeah, Briscoe's gonna be great. We'll run a 3 guard with he, Ulis, and Murray. 3 Guards who can all create, shoot, handle the ball. and 2 are excellent passers. Cant wait.

Just for the sake of arguing over positions, lets say Ulis will start at 1a and Briscoe will start at 1b. If Murray comes, he can start at 1c.

A leader/coach can be any position on the floor. You can be pg and/or a sg but to define them is dumb. Defining a player by a position is what basketball purists think

Unless of course you are Rajon Rondo and can't shoot and are a pass first/only point guard because he has to be.

So your blanket statement about defining positions is "dumb" applies to all cases except those in which you grant an exception?

Who made you Basketball God?

ADVERTISEMENT