ADVERTISEMENT

Bring back the party deck!

8titles

Senior
Dec 2, 2004
KY Proud needs some atmosphere. Not a bunch of block bleachers students have to pay for and then pay $9 a beer at either. They need the same setup that they had at the Cliff and much like many other schools where they can congregate and have fun and cheer the team on.

Agree 100%.

My suggestion is we all know Mitch doesn’t like dealing with the alcohol. He’s got a full staff of assistants he can delegate it to including football and basketball.

Weather hasn’t helped this year, but man the atmosphere and crowds have been bad to say the least. Hopefully that changes with the performance of the team and beer now but I’m skeptical.

Agree completely about the party deck and the atmosphere. That park is too nice and this team is too much fun for the same small, boring crowds as the last two years. It's the same reason I was mad about $9-$10 beers. We have to find ways to get people to come out. I heard a lot of 'that's the going rate at sporting events; deal with it' and 'just win and people will come'. For the former, that's not the point, and for the latter, I guess we'll see...

As I recall, last year they started to kind of takeover the right field part near the opposing bullpen. They were a small group, but they were there and interested in the game. Maybe when it gets warmer this will spark up again. Regardless, I highly doubt it will ever be anything like the Cliff. The fact of the matter is that the UK administration built KPP like a minor league park and in doing so, they designed away the ability for a student/party section to exist. I don't know if this was on purpose or they just didn't think about it during the process.

I think the only thing that they can do, at least in my head, is to essentially close off right field and build a separate entrance in the right field corner. Allow almost anything to go out there. They want coolers? Cool, bring 'em. Red solo cup it up. They want music and grills? F-it bring 'em. Let them throw the party out there and loosen the rules. This will never happen. In part because UK admin doesn't want it to happen and at least one concern would be that it could be dangerous for the opposing pitching staff who would be below the student section, and drunk students could do dumb things.

cant remember what game it was earlier in the year but the weather was awesome and there was a good crowd of students out in right field. wish we couldve built the ballpark in the same location as the cliff so it was right next to the dorms. it's not that far of a walk but was super convenient. There is a lot more space for tailgating outside the ballpark now but doesnt seem to be something thats caught on yet

They could very, very easily do it in left field from the foul pole to the video board batters eye.

DseLdr2WoAABQwm

Last edited:
They could very, very easily do it in left field from the foul pole to the video board.

DseLdr2WoAABQwm

Ohh, that is true. Could basically make that gate there in the corner a way for them to get in, and even allow some grilling and what not on that grass berm out there. Could work well if they did it right.

Reactions: 8titles
That would be a great project for a couple of assistant ADs. I think the players would enjoy it. Not sure about Ming or Mitch.

UL has been selling beer at their games for years and it’s $3. No problems.

I may be wrong, but I think The Cliff was not on UK property, that's why the kids went there and they could tailgate and drink. They could "build" something for the students but they wouldn't allow them to drink and get wild. Plus it's a little farther from campus.

I may be wrong, but I think The Cliff was not on UK property, that's why the kids went there and they could tailgate and drink. They could "build" something for the students but they wouldn't allow them to drink and get wild. Plus it's a little farther from campus.
The Cliff was definitely on campus. The original alcohol ban was also enacted way before they built KY Proud but has since been changed so that shouldn't be an issue. They always turned a blind eye to it at the Cliff so I don't see any harm in having it at Ky Proud given it's on campus and a very manageable walk from a significant number of the dorms. To me it's a no brainer. It would get the kids out of their rooms and give them something to do on a lot of weekdays that is inexpensive and fun. Never were many issues when it was at the Cliff either so it doesn't make sense not to have it now IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT