ADVERTISEMENT

BR mentions UK in three different "trap" games

jnewc2

Senior
Nov 22, 2006
Bleacher Report made a list of the biggest trap game for every single Power-5 team, and Kentucky made the list three separate times (which has to be some kind of record) for Florida, Auburn & Tennessee. The lists went on to say that Eastern Kentucky is the game we should be weary about (which I'm not sure how I should feel about).

Some might look at it is a good thing that we're even thought possible of upsetting these teams, but to me I still think being labeled a "trap" means that you're viewed as a vastly inferior team that only has a chance of winning because the other team is overlooking you. It's pretty obvious we need wins to change that..hopefully we can get some this year, because I'm sick and tired of being looked down upon. We need wins this year to avoid being called a "trap" game. A "trap" is a slap in the face to this program..the only thing "trap" means is that you're a perceived "inferior" team that has a chance of beating a "superior" team due to being overlooked, scheduling distractions, etc.

Here are the trap games where we were mentioned:

"Tennessee's trap game:
Considering that the series has leaned so heavily in one team's favor—that being Tennessee, which has won 29 of the last 30 meetings against Kentucky—it's strange to think the Volunteers' visit to Lexington this year could have any real trap characteristics other than those that normally come with a border rivalry.

But as Wes Rucker of 247Sports has noted, there's something different about this year's game that could make a major difference: timing.

"A game that's traditionally played at or near the tail end of the season has suddenly shifted to late October," Rucker wrote, adding that it also comes a week after the Vols play at Alabama. They'll be worn out from that battle and have to head back out on the road to play a team just itching to pull off an upset."

"Kentucky's trap game:
There's bad blood between Kentucky and Eastern Kentucky, despite the teams having not faced each other on the field since 2009. But a Jan. 25 fight between players from both sides has put added interest on this midseason clash that's meant to serve as a glorified bye week for Kentucky but could prove to be a major trap.

Eastern Kentucky went 9-4 last season and beat an FBS team, Miami (Ohio), along the way. The Colonels show up on Kentucky's schedule right after the Wildcats will have faced three straight SEC opponents, including Florida and Missouri at home, and before a bye leading into a major clash with Auburn.

If not for the attention that the player brawl has brought to this game, Kentucky might end up completely overlooking its opponent at the absolute wrong time."

"Florida's trap game:
Jim McElwain's first SEC game will be on the road, against a team that hasn't finished above .500 since 2009. Piece of cake, right?

Considering last year's Florida team needed triple overtime to beat Kentucky at home, it won't be a walk in the park. And while it won't be the Wildcats' first game in their renovated stadium, it could be the first memorable victory there.

Florida's roster is very thin heading into 2015, making it seem like the Gators will be scratching and clawing to get to the requisite six victories. Kentucky has always been a guaranteed win, the streak sitting at 28, but assuming the 29th will automatically happen wouldn't be a smart move."

"Auburn's trap game:
Even with 12 days to prepare for it, there's no denying that the Thursday night game that Auburn has to play at Kentucky midway through the season is a troublesome one.

"A weeknight prime-time game on the road only adds motivation for the opponent," wrote Braden Gall of Athlon Sports, noting that Kentucky hasn't beaten Auburn in Lexington since 1966.

Kentucky's 5-1 start last season featured a landmark win over South Carolina, but it needed one more big victory to get into a bowl. Auburn could be just such a triumph, especially if the Tigers aren't giving full weight to this matchup when they go to Arkansas the following week."

Here's a link to the list (be prepared to do a lot of clicking): Link

Last edited:
Reactions: woodson991
Think it's hilarious in the Tennessee trap game description that Wes Rucker guy for UT's 247 site calls what Mark Stoops has done here at Kentucky "a poor man's version of what Butch Jones has done at Tennessee" and that one of the only reasons Kentucky has a chance is because Tennessee "will be bruised up from the Alabama game" and "Kentucky treats the Tennessee game like the Super Bowl every year" lol. You would think Tennessee was Alabama or LSU with the over-inflated view they have of themselves and their perpetually mediocre program.

When referring to the Kentucky game he says:

"A glance at that 2015 schedule shows one game that isn’t typically too much trouble for the Vols being a potential problem.

That game is Oct. 31 at … gasp … Kentucky."

My gosh..the nerve on this guy..who do they think they are? They won 7 games and finished 4th in the SEC East for crying out loud lol.

Tennessee hasn't won a major game in over a decade, yet their heads have swollen larger than a pumpkin. I can't imagine how big it would get if they actually did something somewhat significant. They honestly think that the Tennessee game is our "Super Bowl" every year even though they're usually a 5 or 6-win team that isn't even ranked. Heck, Tennessee didn't even have a single player taken in the NFL draft last year for the first time in half a century.

I can think of 4 or 5 games (at the least) every single year (against highly-ranked teams or UofL) that are much more significant and important to UK fans and the players and coaches. Tennessee fans are kidding themselves if they think they're our "Super Bowl every single year" like Wes Rucker of 247 proclaims.

I would love nothing more than to end this season with a win over Florida, Tennessee and Louisville. All are at home, and all are VERY possible. I want to beat those three teams so bad it's ridiculous at this point. UT and UofL need to be taken down about 10 pegs, and that Florida streak has to end this year..it just has to.

Think it's hilarious in the Tennessee trap game description that Wes Rucker guy for UT's 247 site calls what Mark Stoops has done here at Kentucky "a poor man's version of what Butch Jones has done at Tennessee" and that one of the only reasons Kentucky has a chance is because Tennessee "will be bruised up from the Alabama game" and "Kentucky treats the Tennessee game like the Super Bowl every year" lol. You would think Tennessee was Alabama or LSU with the over-inflated view they have of themselves and their perpetually mediocre program.

"A glance at that 2015 schedule shows one game that isn’t typically too much trouble for the Vols being a potential problem.

My gosh..the nerve on this guy..who do they think they are? They won 7 games and finished 4th in the SEC East for crying out loud lol.

Tennessee hasn't won a major game in over a decade, yet their heads have swollen larger than a pumpkin. I can't imagine how big it would get if they actually did something somewhat significant. They honestly think that the Tennessee game is our "Super Bowl" every year even though they're usually a 5 or 6-win team that isn't even ranked. Heck, Tennessee didn't even have a single player taken in the NFL draft last year for the first time in half a century.

I can think of 4 or 5 games (at the least) every single year (against highly-ranked teams or UofL) that are much more significant and important to UK fans and the players and coaches. Tennessee fans are kidding themselves if they think they're our "Super Bowl every single year" like Wes Rucker of 247 proclaims.

I would love nothing more than to end this season with a win over Florida, Tennessee and Louisville. All are at home, and all are VERY possible. I want to beat those three teams so bad it's ridiculous at this point. UT and UofL need to be taken down about 10 pegs, and that Florida streak has to end this year..it just has to.

Isn't Tennessee the 2nd winningest program all time in the SEC? They've been down on their luck since Fulmer was fired, but I'm pretty sure that Tennessee is about a year ahead of UK in their rebuild. They didn't have a single player drafted because nearly all their players are freshmen and sophomores (youngest team in the country) and the one that was a sure bet to be drafted was accused of sexual assault. I was at the game a few years ago when UK beat UT and UK fans did treat it like it was winning the Super Bowl, after 26 years who could blame them really?

I'm faaaaar more worried about the "Rajun Cajuns" than EKU........even though I think we easily sweep the 3 OOC lesser teams.

This. ULL has 4 straight 9 win season. I know they don't beat good Power 5 teams during those seasons. But, they have the whole offseason to plan and get several kitchen sinks ready to throw at UK. Kentucky needs to come out early and often and break ULL will right off the bat.

All I have to say about the Eastern Kentucky game is if UK can not hammer them by at least 4 TDs they are in real trouble for the remainder of the season. I am much more worried about injuries and the possibility of UK players being suspended for the next game for fighting than I am about whether UK can beat them soundly. We are talking about a FCS team.

I am not worried about UK being up for this game. I actually think they might be too fired up and get some stupid penalties and heaven forbid some players thrown out of the game and suspended for the next game which is a SEC game.

IMO the officials will be on top of the situation and quick on the whistle to control the game so I hope the coaching staff has the players prepared for the situation and they don't go macho and do stupid things. Let Eastern be the one with players ejected and suspended if they wish to be silly.

I expect that UK will get a huge dose of RB Mobley in this game so they better be prepared to defend the rush. He would like nothing better than to have a big game against the Cats.

The ULL game would scare the dickens out of me if I wasn't convinced the kids are going to be ready to gut any opponent who steps into their freshly painted house on Opening Day. I'd say you can expect the CATS to pull out all the stops, get them down early, and keep pushing them down in every way possible to the final horn. I think we really are about to see the first big step up with the team this year, and that starts with taking care of business with ULL. I don't see Coach Stoops going sensitive on everyone in the 2nd half, and he shouldn't.

Definitely need to take some MO to Columbia, because you know that is going to be a street fight after last year's contest and result.

I don't think the author understands the definition of a trap game. A trap game is when a weaker opponent is sandwiched in between two stronger opponents. None of these games meet that criteria, though Tennessee could be in a let-down situation coming off a game against rival Alabama. UK is Florida's SEC opener, and Auburn is coming off of a bye week (as are we). Both teams will be totally focused on Kentucky.

There are other valid reasons to make the case the Kentucky could win those games. Florida simply becasue they don't have a very good offense and they are undergoing a coaching change transition, and Auburn becasue Thursday night games heavily favor the home team.

EKU doesn't stand a chance, no way we overlook that game.
Screen-Shot-2015-04-14-at-6.07.03-PM-600x327.png

I don't think the author understands the definition of a trap game. A trap game is when a weaker opponent is sandwiched in between two stronger opponents. None of these games meet that criteria, though Tennessee could be in a let-down situation coming off a game against rival Alabama. UK is Florida's SEC opener, and Auburn is coming off of a bye week (as are we). Both teams will be totally focused on Kentucky.

There are other valid reasons to make the case the Kentucky could win those games. Florida simply becasue they don't have a very good offense and they are undergoing a coaching change transition, and Auburn becasue Thursday night games heavily favor the home team.

I don't believe that it has to be sandwiched in between two big games to be a trap... just has to be in a position where a team is either looking ahead or still reliving the glory/agony of a big game the week before...

...having said that, only one ..auburn.. should be listed as a trap...fla and ewwwT are not drastically better than us so it would not be considered a trap...just a toss up

This article is a good example of why you have to be suspicious of any BR stories. They have upped their game over the past year or two but still are mainly a glorified blog site. As vhcat noted, this guy just really wanted to write something about "trap games" without any real thought as to what is a "trap game".

A trap game is not simply a potential upset loss. It is an potential loss arising from some schedule situation that seemingly offers a decided underdog (let's say about 10+ points) an extra edge coming from the favored team "overlooking" a "lesser" opponent. This is most often seen as an "easy" game sandwiched between two tough ones. To critique his selections...

TN @ UK: Could be a trap for TN. Pre-season numbers suggest TN will be about a 10 favorite at Kentucky. TN coming in off a trip 'Bama with SC in Knoxville the following. SC might not be a strong team this year but it would still be a big game for a UT team trying to get back to the good old days. TN has certainly had enough historic success against the Cats to think they might overlook UK in this one.

KY vs EKU: This is ridiculous. I just cannot imagine UK losing this one or to Charlotte. If UK loses to EKU there are much bigger problems in Lexington than an overlooked opponent. EKU is sandwiched between home games with Mizzou and AU but the Cats have extra time to get ready for AU. Stick a FBS opponent in this spot and you might have a trap situation. I'm not sure there is a real trap game for UK but ULL might have a puncher's chance in the home opener. And UK fans have already penciled in a W at Vandy but Vandy always believes they can beat UK. Pre-season numbers make this look closer than what fans expect. Maybe not true trap game situations but a loss in either game would be a pretty devastating upset.

FL @ KY: Yes, FL has had their way with UK but this FL team may be hard to figure this early under a new staff. In fact, pre-season numbers (i.e., Steele +/- Poll) makes it look like a pick 'em game. IMO, that close of a spread would nullifies the "trap factor". Since we really don't know what to expect from the Gators this year it is pretty hard to identify a trap game. Cats could win this one but I can't call it a trap.

AU @ KY: Coming off EKU the Cats get extra prep time for a Thursday night game with the Tigers/War Eagles/Plainsmen. But so does AU. Pre-season numbers make AU look like a 13 point favorite. If AU wants to compete in the West Division free-for-all they need this one and I think the focus is there to get the win. And the Thursday night game gives a few extra days prep for AR the following week. Hard to see a trap game on the Tigers schedule but if an opener can be considered a possible trap game I would say the UofL game is their most likely trap. AU is an early 11.5 point favorite.

All, of course, JMO.

Peace

Not sure where your indignation comes from. UT has DOMINATED US, TAKEN OUR MANHOOD, AND KILLED OUR WOMEN AND CHILDREN for 30 years. Why wouldn't they be heady about matching up with us? We failed to beat their worst teams except for one fluke year when we beat them with a WR QB. Most of our best teams (2002, 1998, 2006, 2007) have still failed to beat Tennessee.

We need to win games. Then respect will follow.

Reactions: footballfanatic77
Not sure where your indignation comes from. UT has DOMINATED US, TAKEN OUR MANHOOD, AND KILLED OUR WOMEN AND CHILDREN for 30 years. Why wouldn't they be heady about matching up with us? We failed to beat their worst teams except for one fluke year when we beat them with a WR QB. Most of our best teams (2002, 1998, 2006, 2007) have still failed to beat Tennessee.

We need to win games. Then respect will follow.
Unfortunately I am afraid UT is going to be a very good team this year, over the last 3 years they have recruited better than anyone in the conference other than Bama, they return a boatload of starters from last year's team so they won't be near as young. If Dobbs figures out how to pass the ball effectively they will be very good, their backfield improved with the addition of Alvin Kamara, their DL will likely be very young. Their WRs might be the best group in the conference, Dobbs inability to be consistent throwing the ball held them back last year. Lots of people have picked UT and AU to play in the SEC championship game. We have UT the week after Bama, not a stretch in our schedule I am looking forward to because we seldom put together back to back good games. We have a 5 game streak against UT, I think its 5 but could be more or less, but almost every game has been close and we still have no idea who our qb will be and very likely will have a true frosh starting at one WR and a couple more playing a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT