ADVERTISEMENT

Boxscore: Alkins (26), Simmons (19) , Fultz (16): Top 3 Scorers in Final Adidas Game

Interesting stats for the tournament. Kobi is playing better, though still not shooting well. Averaging 14.2 ppg and 6.6 apg with only 1.4 TO. 43% overall and 25% from three.

Fultz averaging 14.5, 6 reb, 5 ast, .75 TO, shooting 49% and 17% from three.

Alkins is tearing it up. 21.8ppg, 5.4rpg, 5.6 apg. 55% field, 35% three, 88% ft.

Fultz shot is too pretty to be shooting 17% from 3. I'd expect that stat to move up.

What did he shoot for the year?

17% at this weekends event.

during the summer he mostly played for under armor and shot 26% from three. but really those numbers were driven up a bit because he was hot the final weekend from three. it was 20%.

I think Fultz will be a PG one day for sure. Someone mentioned the D'angelo Russell comparison even a little D Wade. What is even better about Fultz is he is a late bloomer and I have seen where he may grow a couple more inches. I think if Cal took him now it wouldn't scare off Monk or another shooting guard because he will play some PG.

What did he shoot for the year?

Yeap
If you're talking Under Armour AAU events, he shot 19/71, and also struggled with FT's, hitting 54/90.

His shot is a legit question mark. He led the Under Armour events in scoring, and he stuffed the stat-sheet in a lot of other ways, but he was definitely high-volume, low-efficiency.

Alkins is not as good a shooter as what he showed last night, but he has displayed more consistency than Fultz. He played exclusively in Adidas events, and he hit 31/83 on threes and 62/75 FT's.

In almost all of these AAU things, 3 point shooting is worse than normal because there's little set offense run, and a lot of quick-trigger 3's. Even Devin Booker had some surprisingly poor percentages in the Nike EYBL. That said, at some point you have to prove you can hit jumpshots, and that's a question with a lot of these kids. Alkins and Fultz at least appear to have good form, so you hope that will translate once they get into a more structured setting. Simmons, not so much- his jump shot is pretty busted, and you feel like the best thing he could do would be to stop taking so many.

Reactions: Mike-D
If you're talking Under Armour AAU events, he shot 19/71, and also struggled with FT's, hitting 54/90.

His shot is a legit question mark. He led the Under Armour events in scoring, and he stuffed the stat-sheet in a lot of other ways, but he was definitely high-volume, low-efficiency.

Alkins is not as good a shooter as what he showed last night, but he has displayed more consistency than Fultz. He played exclusively in Adidas events, and he hit 31/83 on threes and 62/75 FT's.

In almost all of these AAU things, 3 point shooting is worse than normal because there's little set offense run, and a lot of quick-trigger 3's. Even Devin Booker had some surprisingly poor percentages in the Nike EYBL. That said, at some point you have to prove you can hit jumpshots, and that's a question with a lot of these kids. Alkins and Fultz at least appear to have good form, so you hope that will translate once they get into a more structured setting. Simmons, not so much- his jump shot is pretty busted, and you feel like the best thing he could do would be to stop taking so many.

which is why monk is #1.

Reactions: brianpoe
which is why monk is #1.
4620815-4399636688-25263.jpg

Reactions: Mike-D
someone else mentioned that although he's probably the most athletic guy on the floor at any given time, he's out of control a lot and just drives the lane and throws the ball at the rim, said they see some Archie Goodwin. That's the same player I thought of watching him.
Cal does not get enough credit for his scouting abilities, has clearly cooled on Simmons for this reason. No way you want him running a team. 3rd guard, sure. Reminded me of Tony Wroten.

Cal does not get enough credit for his scouting abilities, has clearly cooled on Simmons for this reason. No way you want him running a team. 3rd guard, sure. Reminded me of Tony Wroten.

i do think simmons is worth taking if he is a multi-year guy who can play behind someone and learn the trade. but if he is your starting point guard going into a season...i think it would be rocky.

Booker shot at UK about what he shot in aau...aside from his insane start this past year he wasnt a knock down shooter. Most guys don't get to college and become great shooter s,

Booker shot at UK about what he shot in aau...aside from his insane start this past year he wasnt a knock down shooter. Most guys don't get to college and become great shooter s,

Finished the year about 41%, which is terrific for a freshman, but yeah he was just insane in December and January. Cooled off considerably in February and March. I'm not sure if he's streaky or just hit the freshman wall.

FWIW, Lamb and Meeks are two guys who came to UK with reps as good shooters and turned out to be amazing shooters.

Reactions: brianpoe
Umm, Lamb maybe. He was considered a crafty scorer with a great midrange game, but needed some work on his three-point range. Dude went on to shoot 49% and 47% in his two years, so I'd say that qualifies.

Meeks was a slasher coming into college.

I quoted a post that said "most don't come to college and become great shooters." I simply named two recents who did. That's all. You can argue semantics if you'd like, but no one called either great 3-point shooters coming into college.

It doesn't matter how pretty your shot is if it doesn't go through the net. If Cal thinks Fultz is UK material, than sign him up and coach him up.

I still prefer, and think our primary option for the 2G, is Monk. That being said, I haven't yet paid much attention to this class due to the fact I'm still watching what happens with Humphries (sp?) and Wynyard for this coming up season.

Meeks shot is ass off at Norcross. Was their primary "shooter". Was he "going to go on and be top 5 shooter all time at UK" great? No. But I cringe when people say he wasn't a "shooter" in high school. That's what Norcross had him doing a lot of. He was a "shooter" in the same sense Jamal Murray is a shooter, James Young was a shooter, Aaron Harrison was supposed to be a shooter. He just developed a little better once he got to UK.

I remember his "needs improvement" or whatever category on his Rivals profile including "outside shooting". Thought it was stupid in 2006.
Meeks had a rep as a good mid-range guy in HS, but some people questioned if he had deep range. He also improved his mechanics while at UK. If you watched him in HS, he had a low release, almost a push from the shoulder type of thing. He brought that higher in college, and became deadly. Though that took a while- he shot 36.4% as a freshman. Respectable, but not an indication of what he would become.

I agree that a lot of guys who are solid from the mid-range can push that out a few feet and become real weapons from 3 (like Meeks and Lamb). In fact, I've argued that guys get off-course with their jump shot because they start trying 3's as soon as they're strong enough to get the ball to the rim, without developing any consistency from 12-18 feet. The guys who are consistent from mid-range almost always have a better foundation to expand upon than the guys who develop playing an either/or, drive or 3 style of game. That might be the most efficient way to play, but I don't think it's the most efficient way to learn how to play.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT