ADVERTISEMENT

Bo Ryan retiring

May 18, 2015
I am hearing persistent rumours( supposedly starting from a daughter) that due to health reasons Ryan will announce he is retiring maybe as soon as today.
I hope this isn't true......

I am hearing persistent rumours( supposedly starting from a daughter) that due to health reasons Ryan will announce he is retiring maybe as soon as today.
I hope this isn't true......

My original home state is Wisconsin and I do cheer for them in the Big 10 but I am not sad to see Bo retire due to his abrasiveness. We can get a good coach who doesn't have that baggage.

They have popped up in tweets and on boards around the Internet, including the Wisky scout board.
BO just finished a camp, in which he was front and center.
Again really hope it's not true, but pretty persistent info popping up.

Having a rent a player like Sam Dekker finally threw him over the edge. Sorry, I won't be sad to see him go. He's very hypocritical despite being an excellent coach.

Reactions: brianpoe
Hope his health isn't life threatening, but yeah, I also will not be sad to see him retire. He really likes to bend the facts to criticize others and advance a narrative.

You hear that trolls? YOU ARE BO RYAN WITHOUT THE COACHING RECORD.

Having a rent a player like Sam Dekker finally threw him over the edge. Sorry, I won't be sad to see him go. He's very hypocritical despite being an excellent coach.
Will he allow himself out of his commitment to coach his church team or will he enforce all the clauses on himself?

Reactions: kats23
Said he is retiring to focus full time on stealing Christmas

Excellent coach imo.....beat our arses with less talent....and maybe a little help from zebras.

These rumors have been flying around since February. Ryan himself denied it in a May interview with Andy Katz. That is not to say it isn't true, but the OP should at least contain a question mark at this point.

No he shouldn't.

As an MSU fan I have went from hating Bo to coming to have a grudging admiration for him. He is an outstanding coach.
I can respect him hanging around another year. It seems calculated to me to insure his assistant gets the job when he steps down. Leaving now would significantly lessen the chances of that happening.
Bo is aware his ship sailed( in the last 10 minutes against Duke) of ever having a legit title chance again.

He is a great coach but an even bigger hypocrite...I love all the people in the media and on other boards that say he does things the right way. They fail to mention that he and Wisconsin had the lowest graduation rate of any tournament teams list year.

I'd love to see Pearl back in the Big Ten. Don't want him to leave the SEC, but he would really ruffle some feathers there.

I'd love to see Pearl back in the Big Ten. Don't want him to leave the SEC, but he would really ruffle some feathers there.
I had a brain cramp....more like an aneurysm....I had already forgot he was at Auburn last year. Geesh......!! Yeah, he's not going to Wisconsin.... muh bad.

At least Forde got one thing right. End of an era of slow down ballhttp://sports.yahoo.com/news/bo-rya...ol-era-194131526.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma
he Badgers have been a famously deliberate (sometimes outright dawdling) team under Ryan. They chronically rank in the 300s in tempo rankings. Yet Ryan has found players who embrace that style and flourish within it, while endlessly frustrating impatient opponents.

Last edited:
At least Forde got one thing right. End of an era of slow down ballhttp://sports.yahoo.com/news/bo-rya...ol-era-194131526.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma
he Badgers have been a famously deliberate (sometimes outright dawdling) team under Ryan. They chronically rank in the 300s in tempo rankings. Yet Ryan has found players who embrace that style and flourish within it, while endlessly frustrating impatient opponents.

Not if Tony Bennett has something to say about it.

Not if Tony Bennett has something to say about it.

True. But not quite as bad. Maybe just maybe with the shot clock changing and Bo retiring, a cbb game following a Wisconsin or big 10 game will start on time and not be in ESPN news

I still wonder how Virginia fans can cheer for the shot clock winding down to 3 seconds every. single. possession.

I think it's so stupid how some people act like it's cheating or something to play a slow pace. Depending on your talent level, that's arguably your best chance to win. Freakin' deal with it. I actually like watching Virginia play, and I liked watching Wisconsin play. I think it's a sign that someone has a very bad attention span and/or doesn't appreciate the game of basketball if they say they can't stand watching Virginia or Wisconsin play. They play solid, fundamentally sound basketball.

I'd rather a game be 65-60 and fundamentally well-played than 85-80 and sloppy. It's stupid to assume that faster automatically equals better, and that every team should be forced to play one style. Bo Ryan is definitely an ass but I don't see how anyone can criticize his (or Tony Bennett's) coaching ability. And Bennett would probably be at the top of the list to replace Ryan if the position doesn't go to a current assistant. Pretty sure Bennett has Wisconsin ties...

Bennett's dad coached at Wisky before Bo.
It appears that the right hand man will get the job.
Nick....... Sound comments......

ADVERTISEMENT