ADVERTISEMENT

Bleacher Report says Boom is a dark horse for being All-American

jnewc2

Senior
Nov 22, 2006
The website picked which players in the SEC they thought were some dark horse candidates to become All-Americans this season. Here's what they had to say about picking Boom:

"Kentucky running back Stanley "Boom" Williams is already known as one of the most electric players in the SEC, and now he might be getting more of a shot to shine as an every-down running back who's more than just a big-play guy.

"He's so talented, he always wanted to just make a big play every play, wasn't really satisfied with getting what was there, wouldn't just stick his foot in the ground and get the tough yards," running backs coach Chad Scott said this spring according to Kyle Tucker of the Courier-Journal. "Now he's understanding that, and because he's understanding that, the defense softens up a little bit and he's in position."

If that happens, look out.

Williams has already proved his worth as one of the best kickoff returners in the SEC after he averaged 26.89 yards per return a year ago. If he adds workhorse to his resume in addition to what's already on there, he has a chance to make some All-American noise as a running back and returner.
"

Reactions: AndyPopCat
Little was better, before injuries. He was never as explosive as Boom, but he was better in every other facet.

I think you're memory might be escaping you a little on that one. Little was a good player, but he wasn't really near the level of Artose.

Artose was the SEC offensive player of the year in '01-'02. (ahead of guys like David Greene). He averaged 117 yds a game in '01 (the only guy in the SEC to even average over 100 yds/game rushing). He had 1,414 rushing yards in the '01 season with 13 TD's, and had more carries than any RB in the SEC. He was 5'11, 230-pounds..that's a beast of a running back.

Healthy or not, Little never really came close to equaling what kind of running back Artose was. The most yards Little had was 1,123 in a season. Little wasn't even drafted in the NFL, he was a free-agent. Artose was a 4th-round pick and a starting running back in the league. Even if Little would've stayed completely healthy he wasn't close to being an SEC offensive player of the year type-candidate. Artose literally put an entire team on his back and carried them to a 7-5 record.

Little was a really solid player overall (who played under a better coach with more/better playmakers around him than Pinner) but he wasn't on the level of Artose. I would take Pinner in his prime over Little in his every day of the week and not think twice.

Boom is definitely a great back. If not for how loaded the SEC is at RB, I think he would have a very, very good chance of being All-Conference at RB(even then, he's still got a shot). He'll be fun to watch over the next 2-3 years.

I suggest we let Boom play more than his freshman year before we start anointing him as the next greatest RB in UK history. He is no doubt a great talent but I suggest we simply let the man show us what he can do without the pedestal.

I think you're memory might be escaping you a little on that one. Little was a good player, but he wasn't really near the level of Artose.

Artose was the SEC offensive player of the year in '01-'02. (ahead of guys like David Greene). He averaged 117 yds a game in '01 (the only guy in the SEC to even average over 100 yds/game rushing). He had 1,414 rushing yards in the '01 season with 13 TD's, and had more carries than any RB in the SEC. He was 5'11, 230-pounds..that's a beast of a running back.

Healthy or not, Little never really came close to equaling what kind of running back Artose was. The most yards Little had was 1,123 in a season. Little wasn't even drafted in the NFL, he was a free-agent. Artose was a 4th-round pick and a starting running back in the league. Even if Little would've stayed completely healthy he wasn't close to being an SEC offensive player of the year type-candidate. Artose literally put an entire team on his back and carried them to a 7-5 record.

Little was a really solid player overall (who played under a better coach with more/better playmakers around him than Pinner) but he wasn't on the level of Artose. I would take Pinner in his prime over Little in his every day of the week and not think twice.

I dont know why youre comparing Little to Pinner. The post I replied to said SINCE ARTOSE. Which meant, Artose was not included in the discussion.

Don't agree with that at all. Regardless of who was better Little as clearly in Pinner's class. A strong argument could be made for Little being the better of the two. Pinner had one good year and his stats were bloated a bit because Morris built the entire offense around him. There was next zero passing offense that year and the next best runner was a QB. Pinner was certainly good but your stats bloat a bit when virtually every snap goes to one player.

Little played in a system that was designed for Andre Woodson and was far more pass heavy. Plus Little had 4 really good backs on the roster with him sharing carries. Additionally Pinner only had one 1000+ year while Little went over 1000 every year except his true freshmen year. Little's best year was his soph year where he had 1494 yards from scrimmage which compares very favorably to Pinner's best year of 1678. Pinner had more TDs in that year but again the entire system was funneled through him. Little shared carries and Woodson often threw the ball in for scores.

Keep in mind during Little's most active year he still touched the ball 100 fewer times that Pinner did in '02. Little might not have won player of the year but he was first team all SEC and did so as both a RB and punt returner. His soph year he was 5th in the country in all purpose yards. Little was a lot better than you are crediting him for. He was a lot better than just solid.

Don't agree with that at all. Regardless of who was better Little as clearly in Pinner's class. A strong argument could be made for Little being the better of the two. Pinner had one good year and his stats were bloated a bit because Morris built the entire offense around him. There was next zero passing offense that year and the next best runner was a QB. Pinner was certainly good but your stats bloat a bit when virtually every snap goes to one player.

Little played in a system that was designed for Andre Woodson and was far more pass heavy. Plus Little had 4 really good backs on the roster with him sharing carries. Additionally Pinner only had one 1000+ year while Little went over 1000 every year except his true freshmen year. Little's best year was his soph year where he had 1494 yards from scrimmage which compares very favorably to Pinner's best year of 1678. Pinner had more TDs in that year but again the entire system was funneled through him. Little shared carries and Woodson often threw the ball in for scores.

Keep in mind during Little's most active year he still touched the ball 100 fewer times that Pinner did in '02. Little might not have won player of the year but he was first team all SEC and did so as both a RB and punt returner. His soph year he was 5th in the country in all purpose yards. Little was a lot better than you are crediting him for. He was a lot better than just solid.

Most on this board shortchange Little. I think its because they only remember the injured version, not the healthy version. The healthy version was one of the best ballcarriers ever to wear the blue and white. He was THAT good. Trying to tackle him 1 on 1 was fruitless. He could do it all, run, catch, block, return punts and kicks. And he did it all on much fewer touches than most players who put up similar stats.

Why do people refuse to give him the credit he obviously deserves?

I would be interested in seeing Little's receiving stats or total yardage stat. Little was a different kind of back then Pinner. Little could slide into the slot or even wide and was more than a capable receiver, plus he was really fast. Little was perhaps one of the most versatile backs we have had here.

Little was a speed demon but leaned more towards a pure scat back type. I think boom is more explosive and while he is somewhat of a scat back, he is much more well rounded and more powerful than little. I just think he will have better durability. Lets hope so anyway. Little was very very good in his career, almost great, boom has the potential to be great , one of the all time greats at uk. Right up there with artose, higgs, etc. imo

Agreed. Little was VERY good. The previous poster is short-changing him. He was incredibly talented and a great receiver too. He seemed to float on the field with the way he ran.

Derrick Locke was also very good mainly because he had world-class speed.

People forget just how AWFUL UK's O-Line usually has been the past 20 years. Some of our RBs could have been all-americans if they had a decent O-Line to run behind.

UKErik has pointed out many times that we haven't had hardly ANY O-Lineman drafted to the NFL. Is it any wonder we haven't had any all-american RBs??

Locke, Little, Smith, Boom, Pinner, etc. have run behind inadequate O-Lines vs superior defenses in the SEC.

Now, I am salivating to see our future O-Line the next few years. We are finally recruiting O-Line talent that I haven't seen at UK after watching for 30 years.

For the records:
1,000 yd seasons
Rank Year Name Att Yds Avg TD
1 1995 Moe Williams 294 1,600 5.4 17
2 2002 Artose Pinner 283 1,414 5.0 13
3 1987 Mark Higgs 193 1,278 6.6 10
4 1973 Sonny Collins 224 1,213 5.4 13
5 1975 Sonny Collins 248 1,150 4.6 5
6 1984 George Adams 253 1,085 4.3 13
7 2005 Rafael Little 197 1,045 5.3 9
8 2007 Rafael Little 190 1,013 5.3 3

2,000 yard career
Rank Name Att Yds Avg TD
1 Collins 777 3,835 4.9 26
2 Williams 618 3,333 5.4 26
3 R Little 580 2,996 5.2 16
4 Higgs 532 2,892 5.4 25
5 Adams 638 2,648 4.2 25
6 D Locke 518 2,618 5.1 21
7 A Pinner 438 2,105 4.8 17

In 2002, Lorenzen's statline:
183-327 2,267 24 TD, 5 INT

Little was really, really, good. One of my favorites actually. But I still think Boom is going to be on a different level. It's amazing the things he did is a true freshman. Kid is a talent unlike many we have seen here at UK.

I'll be waiting for ppl that have nothing at all to say to leave and never come back
You do realize Bleacher report is written by fans, and not actual sports writers don't you? WE all have high hopes for Boom, but to put stock in Bleacher report predictions is like expecting to get a good steak from Mcdonalds.

The thing about Little to remember is that he ALWAYS made the first tackler miss. That's why he was so special. Again, because our O-Line has never been great, he had to make the first tackler miss to gain significant yards on many occasions.

The ability to make that first guy miss.

He's saying that Little was better than Boom, not Artose.... I disagree with that, but Boom has only played one year, so we'll see....

true that boom has not proven much yet when compared to guys that played 4 years but i would say that he showed more as a true freshman than any back since moe. and he probably has shown more as a true freshman than any back not named moe has shown in their first 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT