ADVERTISEMENT

Big Visit Today?...

My first reaction is to think Stoops and Hamdan expect to lose Saunders.

Do you think this is the situation? TIA
That is my first thought

And his measurables aren't eye opening 6'2 200 lbs. Offers from Mizzou, Indiana, Boston College, Virginia.....

This feels like a plan B from Stone leaving (and not eye opening at all if that is how we pan out).

Last edited:
Arm talent, winner, and another coach’s son. That last point is a real positive, I think, in many ways. Means the kid probably has a high field IQ. Means coaches like what they see in not only Stoops, but in Bush. This appears to be a talented kid who has not come close to reaching his potential. Good news!

Been made clear to all qbs we were recruiting that 2 would be in the 2025 class to restock the room
That may be the plan...but it's futile in this age of transfer portal. 2 QBs in a class is a waste of a spot unless you have one kid on board with being a more developmental and the other more immediate development.

Or both are high potential and one for sure will win the job and the other will bail.

That may be the plan...but it's futile in this age of transfer portal. 2 QBs in a class is a waste of a spot unless you have one kid on board with being a more developmental and the other more immediate development.

Or both are high potential and one for sure will win the job and the other will bail.
Yeah, this is what you do in the age of the portal. Hell it was what was done in CFB in the ancient time, Hal Mumme said it best. "Quarterbacks are born to transfer".

Only 1 guy plays, virtually zero backup rotation unlike the other 21 positions. You throw bodies at the problem of finding a good starting QB. The winner starts & begins building a resume for the NFL. Those who didn't portal. Then you bring in new bodies and do the cycle again.

We have Vandagriff for two seasons, assuming he stays and plays well. Not sure where Boley fits into the mix, if he will be willing to wait it out, but having Saunders, Boley and Ward competing after Vandagriff leaves is a good problem to have.

Yeah, this is what you do in the age of the portal. Hell it was what was done in CFB in the ancient time, Hal Mumme said it best. "Quarterbacks are born to transfer".

Only 1 guy plays, virtually zero backup rotation unlike the other 21 positions. You throw bodies at the problem of finding a good starting QB. The winner starts & begins building a resume for the NFL. Those who didn't portal. Then you bring in new bodies and do the cycle again.
And all of these guys could easily be recruited over as well if a really good transfer portal guy decides he likes UK.

Anyone who wants to leave can leave. That's how we got Vandagriff. Still, they have to keep recruiting. Can't stop recruiting good players just because some will transfer later.

We have Vandagriff for two seasons, assuming he stays and plays well. Not sure where Boley fits into the mix, if he will be willing to wait it out, but having Saunders, Boley and Ward competing after Vandagriff leaves is a good problem to have.

I think it's pretty clear. Unless boley really exceeds expectations, he won't see the field. Pretty clear we intend to go from bvg to stone

I think it's pretty clear. Unless boley really exceeds expectations, he won't see the field. Pretty clear we intend to go from bvg to stone
Haha, there is nothing clear about that plan or reality whatsoever. Esp with no Coen Stone has zero guarantee of sliding easily into the starting slot Sept 2026.

Best guy plays, it's won on the practice field in the locker room on the film.

Ask Drew Barker how he was the intended planned destiny QB for 2014, and Patrick Towels wouldn't ever see the field.

Haha, there is nothing clear about that plan or reality whatsoever. Esp with no Coen Stone has zero guarantee of sliding easily into the starting slot Sept 2026.

Best guy plays, it's won on the practice field in the locker room on the film.

Ask Drew Barker how he was the intended planned destiny QB for 2014, and Patrick Towels wouldn't ever see the field.

Of course the best guy plays. No doubt about that. But the moves tell you what they project to happen.

You mean the same towles who transferred to avoid losing his job to barker? That's a weird example

Not sure how you are getting there. "We intend?" Where is that coming from? Boley is already enrolled and will get a big head start later this month. With Liam Cien gone now, I'm not even sure yet that Saunders will sign here.

In Saunders' favor, he has been a record setting passer in PA at a much better level of competition than Lexington. But the head start favors Boley, not to mention Boley's ideal build and size. If Coach Hamdan is as good as billed, Boley will probably get into some SEC games before Saunders is out of hs.
That factor can't be underestimated. When the rubber hits the road, they practice and the coaches will decide. There is no "we intend".

Not sure how you are getting there. "We intend?" Where is that coming from? Boley is already enrolled and will get a big head start later this month. With Liam Cien gone now, I'm not even sure yet that Saunders will sign here.

In Saunders' favor, he has been a record setting passer in PA at a much better level of competition than Lexington. But the head start favors Boley, not to mention Boley's ideal build and size. If Coach Hamdan is as good as billed, Boley will probably get into some SEC games before Saunders is out of hs.
That factor can't be underestimated. When the rubber hits the road, they practice and the coaches will decide. There is no "we intend".
There is no guarantee they sign Stone. I do think Boley is a couple years from being ready. I would be shocked if he played a snap this year. Beau will be the QB2 most likely

There is no guarantee they sign Stone. I do think Boley is a couple years from being ready. I would be shocked if he played a snap this year. Beau will be the QB2 most likely
There is never a guarantee any player will sign with any school. Saunders is committed to UK and talking frequently with Coach Hamdan. He will visit again later this month. Based on a recent interview, it sure sounds to me like he still plans to sign with UK.

We never know for sure how a young player will play until it happens. When does the game slow down for them? Boley has a much higher upside than Allen. Of course Boley isn't ready. It is rare for any true freshman QB to be ready. But at least he will practice this spring. Sometimes things happen. UK has only three QBs. We all pray nothing happens to Vandagriff, but Coach Hamdan plans to use him in the running game. If, heaven forbid, Vandagriff were to suffer a significant injury to a knee, ankle, shoulder, or back, then it's Allen or Boley. People are free to agree or disagree, and I realize Beau is popular right now because he came home. But Beau hasn't played football in over a year. He wasn't able to win any snaps here before he left, and that was before the rust.

This is JMO, but UK's season would be toast with Beau as the starting QB for any significant number of starts. I'm sure others disagree, and that's what makes a discussion. But if faced with a choice between giving the job to a walkon senior or developing a high upside younger player, a lot of coaches make the decision for the future. I just hope it doesn't come to that because Vandagriff has a chance to be good here.

Last edited:
There is never a guarantee any player will sign with any school. Saunders is committed to UK and talking frequently with Coach Hamdan. He will visit again later this month. Based on a recent interview, it sure sounds to me like he still plans to sign with UK.

We never know for sure how a young player will play until it happens. When does the game slow down for them? Boley has a much higher upside than Allen. Of course Boley isn't ready. It is rare for any true freshman QB to be ready. But at least he will practice this spring. Sometimes things happen. UK has only three QBs. We all pray nothing happens to Vandagriff, but Coach Hamdan plans to use him in the running game. If, heaven forbid, Vandagriff were to suffer a significant injury to a knee, ankle, shoulder, or back, then it's Allen or Boley. People are free to agree or disagree, and I realize Beau is popular right now because he came home. But Beau hasn't played football in over a year. He wasn't able to win any snaps here before he left, and that was before the rust.

This is JMO, but UK's season would be toast with Beau as the starting QB for any significant number of starts. I'm sure others disagree, and that's what makes a discussion. But if faced with a choice between giving the job to a walkon senior or developing a high upside younger player, a lot of coaches make the decision for the future. I just hope it doesn't come to that because Vandagriff has a chance to be good here.
I think the season will be toast if either Allen or Boley have to be counted on for anything important.

I think I came over completely wrong. 1st I only said there was no guarantee that Stone signs to agree with what you had commented. I think there is a great chance he comes here. Rowland says at this time he is completely on board and the kid is recruiting other guys to come with him.

2nd I’m not a beau fan. I 100% agree the season is over if Beau is the QB and in that situation yes they would play Boley and it would be bad. At this point with Boley just coming out of a weird HS system and needing work on his mechanics, isn’t ready and would be behind Beau if they just needed a few snaps like when Leary got banged up against MSU. Hopefully that is all they ever need him

Reactions: footerball
Been made clear to all qbs we were recruiting that 2 would be in the 2025 class to restock the room
From an interview with Stone on TOS...

“They told me that they were gonna need two quarterbacks in my class anyways, so I already knew that coming in when I committed,” Saunders said. “But I’ve been a competitor my whole life so if you want to come be in the quarterback room I have no problem with it. I’m excited to get there and compete. I’ve heard about Brennen and he seems like a good guy so we’ll probably get along and I’m ready to just go compete wherever I go.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT