ADVERTISEMENT

Best espresso/latte/cappuccino coffee machine?

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
I know I will probably get hammered for asking and will preface this by saying I am not a coffee drinker and know nothing about it. With that said my wife and daughter have become coffee drinkers over the last couple of years. I like to tease them that they drink fancy coffee. It isn't the straight black stuff like my dad would drink by the gallons, it's the stuff with frothy milk or cream and flavors.

Anyway they have a Keurig I bought a couple of years ago which will brew a normal K Cup which we would move to our camper. I wanted to get her a machine for Christmas that will do the other types of coffee for the house. Anyone have experience with the Nespresso or other types of coffee machines that do that kind of stuff?

You need a decent burr grinder first.

Then a semi-automatic, PID, dual- boiler, flow control rotary vane pump, directly plumbed machine… ECM, Profitec, Rocket have good ones.

Whole setup should cost you around $4k.

I bought a new coffee maker a few years ago, and. as I was looking for reviews I stumbled across this site. Several years ago a certification was established for a Gold Standard for drip coffee makers. They coffee makers are in several price ranges, so you could try and find something that fits your budget. I bought a Braun that was on the list, a new coffee grinder and started buying whole beans from a couple of local stores. The coffee is much better than what I was getting out of my old Mr. Coffee.

Reactions: anthonys735
I have the Nespresso. It’s not bad - I will use it every now and then it’s just a unique flavor and sometimes I just want regular coffee. Easy to use and not too crazy expensive and different pod flavors so not a bad choice imo. There are lots of machines - we looked at getting the Wolf coffee maker installed in our new house, there’s the Melie one as well but those are built in and 4K. They have counter top ones that are less expensive. Theres just a ton of options out there honestly.

Reactions: chroix
I bought a Breville Barista for my wife last Christmas. Integrated grinder works well and the price was tolerable VS similar competition (about $600 on sale).

It took about a month of fine tuning to figure it out exactly but my wife loves the thing and we use it daily.

Reactions: chroix
I know I will probably get hammered for asking and will preface this by saying I am not a coffee drinker and know nothing about it. With that said my wife and daughter have become coffee drinkers over the last couple of years. I like to tease them that they drink fancy coffee. It isn't the straight black stuff like my dad would drink by the gallons, it's the stuff with frothy milk or cream and flavors.

Anyway they have a Keurig I bought a couple of years ago which will brew a normal K Cup which we would move to our camper. I wanted to get her a machine for Christmas that will do the other types of coffee for the house. Anyone have experience with the Nespresso or other types of coffee machines that do that kind of stuff?
Espresso is straight black coffee. Just brewed in a different way.

There is really nothing fancy about it. It’s just different from percolating it.

Espresso is straight black coffee. Just brewed in a different way.

There is really nothing fancy about it. It’s just different from percolating it.
Are there affordable machines that does espresso, latte, cappuccinos and such that are good? As I said I don't drink coffee and don't really know the differences in the drinks but they like getting the fancy looking drinks from the expensive coffee houses and such.

We have the K-Cafe that we can use to make K-cup coffee or the occasional latte and specialty coffee shop drinks. It's certainly nothing fancy, but we usually just drink coffee at the house and if we're out and about, might get something nicer from Starbucks.

Coffee is one of those things I tried to get fancy with, and just never felt the trouble was worth it. K-cups taste just fine to me. I will occasionally make my own cold brew.

But sounds like the K-Cafe might be perfect for you. One device instead of various different machines taking up counter space.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Are there affordable machines that does espresso, latte, cappuccinos and such that are good? As I said I don't drink coffee and don't really know the differences in the drinks but they like getting the fancy looking drinks from the expensive coffee houses and such.

Couldn't tell ya brand names or anything. But the main thing is automatic vs manual. On a manual machine you'll have to grind the beans and tamp the grounds and all that yourself to make the coffee. And automatic you can just set the settings how you want and hit a button and it'll do all that for you.

Making the milk for a latte or cappuccino is fairly easy, just takes practice to do it right. The espresso machine will have a steam wand for that.

We used to have one. Now, we use one of those small aluminum things you sit on a stove burner. A percolator! I'm not a coffee drinker so I can't say, but I think the biggest difference in the flavor is in the roast of the bean. Then, for the educated palate, you get into the $$. Since my wife drinks espresso around once a month, the $$ didn't make sense. I think she also likes to drink from the tiny espresso cups.

shopping

I bought a new coffee maker a few years ago, and. as I was looking for reviews I stumbled across this site. Several years ago a certification was established for a Gold Standard for drip coffee makers. They coffee makers are in several price ranges, so you could try and find something that fits your budget. I bought a Braun that was on the list, a new coffee grinder and started buying whole beans from a couple of local stores. The coffee is much better than what I was getting out of my old Mr. Coffee.
The one I've used for years is on there. Bonavita 8-Cup Connoisseur BV1901TS

Not a big fan of my current burr grinder if anyone has a recommendation.

Get my coffee from trade subscription, which sends me a different roasters beans, from local places all over the country.

With a budget of about $300 you could pick up a Bonavita Coffee Maker, an OXO Burr Coffee Grinder and a Paris-Rhone Milk Frother. A fourth add on would be a scale. Weighing your coffee is the best way to decide if you are using the right amount, but most folks don't go this granular on making coffee. Plus, you may already have a kitchen scale that will work fine if you want to give it a try.

This isn't top of the line super high-end but it will get you really good coffee on a daily basis, and you can go crazy with fancy coffee drinks if you want. Pick up some bags of coffee beans and watch a couple of youtube videos on how to make a Latte and you are all set.

I still use an older farberware percolator with the crystal top cap. I still think it makes better coffee than any other I’ve tried.

Reactions: K86
I have a Gaggia Anime Super-Automatic which my wife and I love. Super -Automatic means you add beans and water and it does the rest. It is slightly above entry level at $600 from Whole Latte Love. It is my second Gaggia from WLL. I also have a Bonavita ($250) drip machine and Caprezzo conical burr grinder ($100) which I used between the two espresso machines. I don’t use the milk frother or steamer because it is too much time and cleanup. Double lugo and creamer every morning.

Last edited:
I think Ninja have a few that are affordable - guess it depends what you are looking for

If you are in to simplicity vs. control. $700. Again we are not into the milk drinks so we didn’t get this model with the carafe.

She would definitely want a simple one. She's usually scrambling to get out of the house of a morning and don't have time to spend with a complicated or time consuming process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wesley91581
She would definitely one simple. She's usually scrambling to get out of the house of a morning and don't have time to spend with a complicated or time consuming process.
Exactly if the instruction guide is a book they gonna say f-it and not use it

When my ex got into those she got a coffee maker then a separate espresso maker/milk frother on Amazon - guarantee you she uses the espresso maker 20x more than the milk froth part of it.

She has never ground the coffee beans before. I know that those are fairly cheap. Is it worth it from a flavor standpoint? Sorry for so many questions but like I said I don't drink coffee and she has just started and most of her experience is just brewing a K Cup or buying from Starbucks.

She would definitely want a simple one. She's usually scrambling to get out of the house of a morning and don't have time to spend with a complicated or time consuming process.
Super-Automatic would be the way to go. When our first one finally quit, my wife was the one who kept asking when were we going to get a new one. They are not for the purists or people that enjoy the ritual of the barista experience but it will give a great cup of freshly ground coffee (actually espresso) with the ease of a Keurig and blows the taste of a k-cup totally out of the water.

She has never ground the coffee beans before. I know that those are fairly cheap. Is it worth it from a flavor standpoint? Sorry for so many questions but like I said I don't drink coffee and she has just started and most of her experience is just brewing a K Cup or buying from Starbucks.

Whole bean from World Market (many options)...get a decent grinder for the house. Experiment w/ amount and such for the taste/strength. In terms of the other stuff...save the money and just get the fancy drinks out somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT