ADVERTISEMENT

Bell, Miggins, Jackson, Gosier, Livingston

mrschwump

All-American
Nov 4, 2006
OK guys, it's August....any of these missing football players been spotted yet?

The team reports this coming week. All will be known by then.

They must enroll before they can be on the team. When must they be enrolled to play this season?

8th I believe but just going off memory could be 5th or 6th.. which only helps with time frame and not date.

How many of these guys, counting Provitt, were replacements for the guys who decommitted?

Unofficially speaking only Provitt was a replacement. I forget who he replaced but he was an upgrade. The others were not replacements for decommits.

I remember Provitt being a replacement and I sure hope he can make it here after JUCO, I think he has the potential to be an all SEC player.

I remember Provitt being a replacement and I sure hope he can make it here after JUCO, I think he has the potential to be an all SEC player.

While you might think Provitt was a replacement due to the timing of his commitment and Hamilton's flip to tO$U, that's not necessarily the case. He and Provitt didn't/wouldn't play the same position at UK so it wasn't a straight up replacement. Besides, Provitt was a lean to UK for 8 or 9 months prior to finally commiting as the coaches were waiting to see if they thought he would qualify. They finally rolled the dice and it didn't work out at this point in time but we look for him to be here in a year and a half.

technically they were all replacements but miggins and as stated by rv, provitt. the coaches ended up really liking a few of them but they weren't even looking until we had the spots open. miggins was being recruited for a while too... i just dont think we thought we'd get him til dang near signing day.

I'm starting grad school this fall and it might be later than undergrad, but August 18th is when classes open for registration for me.

We are seeing why that these players were around for UK to get after having several players decommitt. Evidently several had shaky academics. Lets hope some of them make it. IMO Miggins is the most interesting of the bunch and probably could help this season.

The truth is a few not making it might not be a real bad thing as it would open slots for more recruits this year and UK seems to be in on some very good recruits.

Great news on Miggins. He and Provitt were the ones that I most wanted to qualify. It is too bad that Provitt didn't. Hopefully he can come on board after JUCO. Miggins might even get into the two deep this year. It would also be good news if Bell makes it since he plays a need position. Defensive positions IMO right now are the most critical for the Cats future They lose a lot of seniors off the defense this season.

Didn't Stoops say last week there was still no word on Provitt?

No. Provitt is going to play in JUCO to get his courses in order. He said it himself, the college announced it, so on and so forth.

No. Provitt is going to play in JUCO to get his courses in order. He said it himself, the college announced it, so on and so forth.

That's what I understood too re Provitt. However, on the KSR page recapping a Stoops appearance last week it said "still no word on the eligibility of Courtnet Love and Javon Provitt but Stoops hoped to know something by Media Day." Let me point out the Tyler girl was the one who reported it and it probably meant only Love. She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. However, since I'm not a good "linker" she's probably much sharper than I am. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting comment that flew off into the horizon.

That's what I understood too re Provitt. However, on the KSR page recapping a Stoops appearance last week it said "still no word on the eligibility of Courtnet Love and Javon Provitt but Stoops hoped to know something by Media Day." Let me point out the Tyler girl was the one who reported it and it probably meant only Love. She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. However, since I'm not a good "linker" she's probably much sharper than I am. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting comment that flew off into the horizon.

Pardon the cheap shot, but as I've said before, KSR is not exactly the go-to source for UK Football news.

Miggins will end up being a solid player for us. We've never had depth like this on our O and D lines!

Bell is on his way as well. The only ones left to report are Gossier and Livingston.

JMO but she probably meant Love and Hart the other transfer.. But that's just a guess and to me would make a little more sense

If we only miss on 2 or 3 it will not be too bad since IMO most of these later recruits were chancy academically and that is why they were still available.

Another thing is that UK will be able to sign more recruits this year if a few don't make it and they seem to be in on some quality recruits so it isn't all bad.

Thanks Gomez

Excellent news - we need both of these guys this year for depth. I hope Gosier and Livingston make it too but they are not nearly as crucial.

As for Hart and Love hey they only submitted their paperwork in February. You folks need to learn to have more patients. :D

Miggins is slated for the big DE I believe but he could slide over to DE (not nose). He was 6'5" 285 lbs at last report. That is a pretty big fellow. He is just two weeks at the training table from 300.

Encouraging. It'll be interesting to see how they use these 2 although Miggins is a little under sized for a SEC DT.

He also played DE in JUCO.
Worst case scenario, stick him at inside linebacker, bet he could stop some runs lol.

Miggins is expected to contribute right away according to the talk when they signed him. He has an excellent chance to end up starting eventually this year if he lives up to his reputation.

Miggins is a juco. If he wasn't gonna be in the 2 deep and play meaningful snaps there'd be no point in recruiting him. I fully expect him to play a lot.

I am sure him being a JUCO was recruited to play right away but he must prove he deserves to play right away in fall camp. He is getting a late start having missed spring camp and the summer conditioning period at UK. He is going to be like CJ Johnson who came in late last year and likely struggle with the finer points of the defense.

Despite the fact that JUCOs are recruited for immediate playing time I have always thought that it would be better if they could be redshirted a year to get the systems down before being thrown to the wolves. It sure helped Lewis.

Last edited:
I am sure they would red shirt them if possible. Sometimes they come with two to play two and sometimes the need is too great.

The thing about miggins I heard during recruiting is that he was a little more skilled than most juco Dline so I don't think he'll have the learning curve that cj Johnson had

Last edited:
Bell and Miggins make a pretty good DL much better...depth and skill.

Pass rush just improved by default

Miggins will end up being a solid player for us. We've never had depth like this on our O and D lines!
We learned last year with Flannigan that juco transfers are lost in September if they miss spring practice. This shouldn't hurt Leavitt next year because he plans to come to school in January and practice in April. But it will delay Miggins and Bell earning snaps in September. We have enough returning players on our defensive line to handle things while Miggins and Bell get acquainted with the system. They should help a lot in 2016, but my expectations for them in 2015 are fairly low until they have had time to learn.

We learned last year with Flannigan that juco transfers are lost in September if they miss spring practice...

Seems like a pretty broad stroke you've painted there. No two folks are the same, ergo no two football players are the same, in ability, acumen, measurables or any other way you wish to measure them.

That's not to downplay the leg up kids get while getting that spring practice and summer with the team but to discount out of hand the ability to contribute for August enrollees seems a bit reckless to me.

Seems like a pretty broad stroke you've painted there. No two folks are the same, ergo no two football players are the same, in ability, acumen, measurables or any other way you wish to measure them.

That's not to downplay the leg up kids get while getting that spring practice and summer with the team but to discount out of hand the ability to contribute for August enrollees seems a bit reckless to me.
agreed, plus you have to account for talent around the player and what he's asked to do. Z probably struggled a little more his first year because teams could focus on him and bud and go 1 on 1 with the dt's. bama, aub, or florida can bring in a juco and kinda hide their faults because of all the talent around that player. whole lot of juco's go pro after just 1 year in d1. its not the norm but it happens every year.

I agree that it is a broad stroke. No 2 players are the same. Miggins might not follow the same learning curve Flannigan followed. But when I look back at all the juco players at Kentucky, it has generally been true that players who came in January and practiced in April contributed earlier than players who missed April practices and got to Lexington in August. I doubt you would disagree. I am not saying Miggins can't be an exception. But my expectation for Miggins is a learning curve in September and October, followed by improvement in November and more impact in 2016. If he learns faster, so much the better. Playing time is zero sum. There is a competition, and I think the returning players are good enough to make Miggins work hard for playing time.

ADVERTISEMENT