ADVERTISEMENT

Been a while since this poll. UNC and the NCAA. (please, no uninformed votes)

Will UNC suffer penalties acceptable to you. What is your answer based on?

• Total voters

.S&C.

All-American
Jul 8, 2014
If possible, please only vote if you've at least somewhat been keeping up with the ongoing investigation. So please no votes based on emotion.

Acceptable for me is 2005 and 2009 banners coming down, and 1993 should as well. However I believe they'd raze the campus before doing so no matter what the cost. They are so far gone over there that there is no saving them. There is no redemption to be had other than oblivion.

Too much out there. Things went on for too long. Biggest academic scandal in my lifetime, possibly ever.

Can't imagine the hammer not falling hard.

Reactions: Federal Cat
Acceptable for me is 2005 and 2009 banners coming down, and 1993 should as well. However I believe they'd raze the campus before doing so no matter what the cost. They are so far gone over there that there is no saving them. There is no redemption to be had other than oblivion.

I voted no as well, and one banner would be enough for me. I do believe they deserve much worse, but the NCAA has never stripped a champion, so to me that constitutes "good enough".

Too much out there. Things went on for too long. Biggest academic scandal in my lifetime, possibly ever.

Can't imagine the hammer not falling hard.

True, at what point does" too much out there" become, well, too much?

No because the governing body itself cannot be trusted and quite frankly I am confident they were involved in the initial attempt to help UNC cover it up . They are going to slay the ish out of every sport but the one that this scandal was started to serve in the first place . At least we are on a level playing field for the moment .

No fan has an informed opinion about what should happen to unc. No one outside the school and the ncaa even know what all the school is charged with. Remember, they didn't have to tell anyone a thing and all that anyone knows is what they released to the public.

John, everyone knows exactly what they are charged with by the NCAA:

• There was a lack of institutional control in failing to "sufficiently monitor" the interactions between the AFAM and the academic support departments, and athletes received "preferential access" to AFAM's irregular courses.

• Academic counselors "leveraged" relationships from fall 2002 to summer 2011 with AFAM faculty and staff to provide athletes with benefits such as suggesting assignments, turning in papers for them and recommending grades. In addition, 10 athletes exceeded UNC's 12-hour limit of independent study credits countable toward graduation between fall 2006 and summer 2011 due to misidentified "paper classes."

• Women's basketball counselor Jan Boxill provided improper assistance by sometimes adding content to athletes' papers and recommended a grade for submitted work in at least one case.

• Crowder, one of two AFAM staffers most directly linked to the irregularities, didn't cooperate with NCAA investigators.

• Former AFAM department chairman Julius Nyang'oro, the other staffer most directly linked to the irregular courses, also declined to cooperate.

What everyone doesn't know are all the details supporting those charges, but they know the charges themselves.

No because the governing body itself cannot be trusted and quite frankly I am confident they were involved in the initial attempt to help UNC cover it up . They are going to slay the ish out of every sport but the one that this scandal was started to serve in the first place . At least we are on a level playing field for the moment .
Ding ding ding, winner winner, chicken dinner;)

Anything less than at least two banners coming down will likely be the death knell for my interest in sports. The NCAA's short-sighted and selfish construction of "amateurism" has turned this whole culture into a joke, at least to me.

No one is looking out for the kids besides coach Cal (we're forever indebted to him far beyond his on the court success). If the NCAA proves yet again that they'll cast the well-being of thousands of often impoverished kids aside in self-interest, that's it for me. I've been close to stepping away from college athletics on principle despite being a life-long UK fan and former athlete. I have no pro teams that I care about, so that will be it for my interest in sports.

Personally I wouldn't care if everybody removed the facade that we give a shit about academics period, at least when it comes to what these athletes participate in. Of course that might be the death of college sports. Do I really care that they weren't taking legit classes? Not really. I guess for consistency but that would be the only reason to punish them to me.

I voted NO
I don't believe there is another program would come out and just brag that the NCAA with do nothing to them.

This is America, home of the uninformed voter....you are asking a lot.
PS, I didn't vote.

I just feel that unc was in such a elitist status before all of this happened that the NCAA feels like it would hurt collegiate sports if they would take them down, or even penalize them badly.

Personally I wouldn't care if everybody removed the facade that we give a shit about academics period, at least when it comes to what these athletes participate in. Of course that might be the death of college sports. Do I really care that they weren't taking legit classes? Not really. I guess for consistency but that would be the only reason to punish them to me.

What facade? These kids don't have to go to college or play at all for that matter. Most will never play professional sports either. If they choose to attend college then certain rules apply, they apply for Anthony Davis and Sam Malone. For the vast majority of college players they better be getting an education because they're gonna have to get a real job when they leave. If you are robbing them of that opportunity you have directly harmed their earning power. You should care, very much. As for UNC, for me they need to lose one banner, a couple of seasons of wins, reduced scholarships for 3 years and a post season ban for 3 years. Plus, pay an enormous fine. That isn't what they really deserve,but that would satisfy me.

I believe its unlikely that they will be punished in any significant way.
sigh.gif

I voted yes. Banners coming down aren't a big deal to me. It's like people saying Cal didn't go to the Final Four (not comparing the two "scandals", just the aftermath) at UMass and Memphis. We know he did, so the taking away of titles doesn't mean much to me. I think we will see reduction in scholarships and post-season ban. That would be acceptable and a much bigger hit to the program than removing a couple of banners.

It's not that simple and there were inherent advantages to what UNC was doing . It had to help them recruit when on a visit recruits learned from current players that grades were taken care of , whatever grade they needed would come via AFAM without doing a single thing . That left their players with nothing but basketball to be concerned with , never an eligibility concern at UNC .

UNC also got to promote their fraudulent graduation rates to parents , which of course we all know to be a lie but that had to impress mom and dad since no other school was producing those numbers . Least we not forget all the other bs UNC was involved in with free cars and more , you're right the academic angle in college is a facade but it was one everybody was trying to live up to except UNC .

Reactions: Poetax
What facade? These kids don't have to go to college or play at all for that matter. Most will never play professional sports either. If they choose to attend college then certain rules apply, they apply for Anthony Davis and Sam Malone. For the vast majority of college players they better be getting an education because they're gonna have to get a real job when they leave. If you are robbing them of that opportunity you have directly harmed their earning power. You should care, very much. As for UNC, for me they need to lose one banner, a couple of seasons of wins, reduced scholarships for 3 years and a post season ban for 3 years. Plus, pay an enormous fine. That isn't what they really deserve,but that would satisfy me.
I'm not saying we should not allow them to take classes. I'm saying I don't care if they are going to classes or getting a degree, and I'm sure most people don't. Most people only care if it keeps them from playing. Based on the rules, something should probably happen. I think those rules are out dated and don't represent what big time college sports are now. I think if you really believe they are the only program pushing the limits of what they are allowed to do, especially when it comes to getting kids eligible and keeping them that way, you're oblivious to how college sports are now.

I'm not saying we should not allow them to take classes. I'm saying I don't care if they are going to classes or getting a degree, and I'm sure most people don't. Most people only care if it keeps them from playing. Based on the rules, something should probably happen. I think those rules are out dated and don't represent what big time college sports are now. I think if you really believe they are the only program pushing the limits of what they are allowed to do, especially when it comes to getting kids eligible and keeping them that way, you're oblivious to how college sports are now.
The everyone is doing it argument. This one kind of gets old after a while. When UK got busted how many other schools were doing the exact same thing? When SMU got busted how many schools were doing the exact same thing? When Miami got busted how many schools were doing the exact same thing? Is this an excuse that got those schools off without punishment?

I understand your point that the façade of amateurism is gone but UNC*** got busted and now it is time for them to pay the piper. Unfortunately the piper is wearing a UNC*** jersey and has fifties sticking out of his g-string. If something happens it is because the piper fears losing his job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xception
I don't know if UNC will get everything that it truly deserves. However, from credible stuff I'm hearing from behind the scenes.... UNC is certainly worried. While they put a ton of dollars into a very public message.... they're very worried about what the NCAA is going to do. That is a fact.

Reactions: BurpinTurpin
I voted yes. Banners coming down aren't a big deal to me. It's like people saying Cal didn't go to the Final Four (not comparing the two "scandals", just the aftermath) at UMass and Memphis. We know he did, so the taking away of titles doesn't mean much to me. I think we will see reduction in scholarships and post-season ban. That would be acceptable and a much bigger hit to the program than removing a couple of banners.

I don't think UNC or their fans see it that way. Those banners are extremely important to them. You can't change the fact that those games occurred, but if the banners come down, it would be a permanent reminder of how they cheated to win those games.

A complete culture change is needed and they won't even admit that they have a problem. Take down banners and reality would set in immediately.

Scholarship reductions and post-season bans are also warranted, but that's just a bump in the road long-term. The magnitude of this scandal demands extraordinary measures.

JMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: .S&C.
UNC fans thought process is if they keep what they stole then it's not stolen , as long as they keep their ill-gotten gains then that is proof they were innocent all along . All of that bs they claimed to be is not who they are , they were more than happy to collect praise for being above all of that but when ish hits the fan look how they just want to get out of it . You don't hear them calling their school out for this mess , they are attacking anyone that is trying to bring light to this dark situation . Bottom line is that UNC is a big lie , it's a story that's been debunked .

Reactions: martinsm30
I voted no. I think UNC will be pretty harshly punished, but it won't be what they deserve. They deserve the death penalty, the school should have their accreditation revoked, and there should be a Federal Investigation into their entire school system- in fact, their state government and federal representatives should also be investigated, for they are clearly corrupt. People over there should go to jail for this. Anything less is unacceptable to me.

Again, I think you out touch with 99% of college athletes.

no...they are going to skate....for me, anything less than 05 & 09 coming down, , all wins vacated for the 18 years, along with 2-4 years of post season bans and 30 scholarships revoked is "they skate"....

truth be known, Dean started this........he knew, Gut knew, Doh knew, Roy knew.......

The university higher ups will watch it burn to the ground rather than take those banners down....

I voted NO and now think they will get out of this pretty much unscathed. If so it will change how I look at college sports and the NCAA, when they drop the ball on this one and they most assuredly will.

ADVERTISEMENT