ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor's Shawn Oakman is a BEAST!

and just for giggle heres nico firios doing 24" box jump with 135# external weight.... his sr year of highschool.

Well, if you notice, he gets those 70 lb weights going first....that really helps his momentum. It would be a more interesting story if they were ankle weights.

And on Firios' jumps, you'll notice he really doesn't jump any higher than the height of the hanging weights, so he's not carrying them any distance at all on his jump. Physics & gravity win every time!

Spica Orbit

Well, if you notice, he gets those 70 lb weights going first....that really helps his momentum. It would be a more interesting story if they were ankle weights.

And on Firios' jumps, you'll notice he really doesn't jump any higher than the height of the hanging weights, so he's not carrying them any distance at all on his jump. Physics & gravity win every time!

Spica Orbit
so your gonna post of video of you doing that then? lol

if you'll watch, a lot of the weight nico has is on a harness around his neck and chest.

Spica Orbit
I was debating a coworker about this momentum issue yesterday when this video was going around. There is no way the momentum of the weights can help him because the same force responsible for generating the velocity of the weights (ie, the hip extension) is responsible for generating the velocity of the jump. So the weights are making him work harder during the initial jump.

Beyond that, the weights don't receive enough momentum to counteract gravity for very long. You can clearly see the dumbbells beginning to fall before Oakman lands on top of the box.

In Firios's case he has to dip with the weights to begin his jump, so his initial hip drive has to counteract the extra weight and its downward momentum. Then once he lands he has to essentially come of the bottom of a squat with the extra weight.

Just to test this, we went to the gym at lunch yesterday and can confirm even a small amount of weight makes box jumps significantly more difficult. Especially with repeated reps as Firios is performing.

Oakman's jump is just amazing. The amount of force that he is developing to reach a 40" box is substantial.

Firios's is obviously harder than just a normal box jump without the weight, but watch closely. If Firios jumps straight vertical and tucks his legs, he'll be able to clear the box top. So, he's basically just tucking his legs and squatting up while on top of the box. Still very hard, but it's not nearly as hard as Oakman's feat.

Even if rocking the weights helps him jump, that motion aids in explosion, just as thrusting your arms would in a tackle. For football purposes, I would encourage putting your entire body into that jump.

if you'll watch, a lot of the weight nico has is on a harness around his neck and chest.
---
Yep, I saw that & no I won't be posting a video of me doing it, since 4 bulging & 2 ruptured discs limits me slightly! I looked at the article on Oakman & apparently, the dumbells are 35 pounds each for a total of 70, not 70 lbs each. All I'm saying is it's not like strapping whatever weight they're using on their ankles & then jumping. They're both using techniques that aid in what they're doing.

Spica Orbit

No doubt both of these are impressive feats, but there is quite a bit of technique involved too. One kid his feet end up about 3-4 inches above where his knees are while standing on the floor. The reality is the technique both are using requires them to only actually be able to get a few inches off the ground, 10-15 depending on their flexibility, because the squating position used to get their feet high enough is covering much more space than their jump is. Getting that technique down with the timing is more important than explosiveness. I have seen several kids able to jump on a 40 inch box with a weight vest who had no where near a 40 inch verticle. Verticles are always the same either. I had a 6 foot high jumper in track, who set a national HS record at the time of 7'4" and went on to compete in the Olympics, no medal but not many get there. Anyway, one would think his verticle had to be crazy, but it was 34 inches. He could touch the top of backboard, dunk from the foul line all of those things. But he measured his verticle standing directly under the sticks and going up with both feet, no steps at all. In his mind, taking one step, or even having one leg back and bringing it up to get some momentum going wasn't a verticle jump. Me and every other coach I knew thought he could jump out of the gym, but I wasn't argueing with him. All these guys coming in with 40-45 inch verticles and he would have his elbow above their fingertips.

ADVERTISEMENT