ADVERTISEMENT

Barbee has Apparently Taken Slice's Position

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
T.J. Walker@TWalkerRivals · 16h16 hours ago
Tony Barbee out recruiting in Indianapolis with John Calipari. That would mean he's been hired as the assistant coach to replace Slice

Reactions: BillionthUKFan
With all of the talk about BD going to the OKC, Barbee may be on the UF short list. He can coach, recruit and win with the talent Florida can bring in. Glad we get him atleast 1 more year. GBB

With all of the talk about BD going to the OKC, Barbee may be on the UF short list. He can coach, recruit and win with the talent Florida can bring in. Glad we get him atleast 1 more year. GBB

Are you high? He got fired at Auburn. Why the hell would Florida hire him?

Reactions: bigc45157

UF is going to aim their sights quite a bit higher than a guy who got fired from Auburn, chief.

Are you high? He got fired at Auburn. Why the hell would Florida hire him?
He won everywhere else before Auburn. Took teams to the tournament. Auburn is basketball hell. He went there because of the huge pay increase. He could not turn it around. Lets see how Pearl does down there. Florida gets better talent and Barbee could win there. GBB

Not exciting, but solid.

There are a lot of guys that are really good assistants that struggle as head coach in a power conference. Cal obviously feels comfortable with him and has earned the right to choose his own staff until proven otherwise.

He won everywhere else before Auburn. Took teams to the tournament. Auburn is basketball hell. He went there because of the huge pay increase. He could not turn it around. Lets see how Pearl does down there. Florida gets better talent and Barbee could win there. GBB
Jesus. If we hire Barbee we might as well shut the program down for the next half decade and restart when we are serious about competing again.

I do not see Barbee at Florida, but, those of you that do not think he can coach are way off base. I am glad he is on our bench.

Where else did Barbee coach as the head man other than Auburn? I thought he was an assistant at Memphis when he was hired at auburn.

I guess you could put it like that....or you could say he lost everywhere else after UTEP. :)

I think the wrong questions and issues are being posed on this thread. Does Barbee's travel to Indy actually mean he is Slice's replacement? If so, what did Slice bring to our program, and what does Barbee bring to our program in this same position? Does Barbee bring something that Slice didn't bring? My thought is that Barbee will get Slice's job because he was already standing in line in Lexington, and because he is Calipari's trusted friend. However, it is legitimate for Barbee to travel with Calipari to Indy in his current job, simply because Slice's assistant position is open. Calipari trusts Barbee for several reasons. Barbee played under Calipari at UMass, then coached under Calipari at Memphis. Barbee calls Calipari his mentor. Barbee's current position at Kentucky is listed as special assistant to the head coach. This means Barbee is already plugged into everything in the program. It makes sense for Barbee to slide up into Slice's position. Barbee's and Slice's coaching resumes are similar. Slice has a better reputation as a recruiter, but I believe Calipari himself is Kentucky's most important recruiter and Kenny Payne has become Kentucky's most influential recruiter among the assistants. For Barbee to be effective, he must function as a great evaluator of high school talent and a solid position coach for Kentucky's back court and wings.

I guess you could put it like that....or you could say he lost everywhere else after UTEP. :)
Billy Donovan won at Marshall. Barbee won at UTEP. BD went to Fl where he can get talent. Who has played at auburn since Charles B? Florida was just coming off a FF appearance with Lon Kruger and had a base. Where was Auburn at when Barbee took over?
All it takes to win is to get the elite kids to sign up. John Wooden did not win crap at ucla for many years. Sam Gilbert got him Kareem and Walton and suddenly he is the best coach ever. Dean Smith had more talent than anyone else and only won 2 championships. One legit and one bogus. As far as we can tell. Unc might of had a similar clustering scam going on before afam.
Barbee knows basketball just about as good or better than any coach in the game. He got the most he could with the players he was able to bring in at Auburn. He was not losing at Auburn because he could not coach but it was because he had no talent. All of these coaches know the plays, strategy, etc.
Billy D won 2 ships with noah, Harford, brewer, Humphrey, and T Green?. Most of the coaches in America could have won with that team. Kevin Ollie road Shabazz Napier to a title. How well did he do this year with out any of Calhouns kids? Tubby Smith won with Slick Ricks kids but has he done anything since?

You got to get the talent to win. Florida is good enough to get top kids in. What has Archie miller done to coach at UF? Shaka Smith? He inherited kids from Anthony Grant. I bet he doesn't do so hot at Texas.
Mark Gottried, Rick Barnes and Johnny Jones are the coaches who are losing with Talent.
Barbee is a solid coach. Recruits make a solid coach to an elite coach. GBB

I think the wrong questions and issues are being posed on this thread. Does Barbee's travel to Indy actually mean he is Slice's replacement?

I am with your line of thinking.

There is an NCAA rule about the number of recruiters that can be on the road (or something like that), but without Rohrssen, is it possible to have a temporary fill-in for the position until a new one is officially hired?

If Barbee is the new replacement, then why hasn't UK released anything about it? It's not like it would be a big secret or anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT