ADVERTISEMENT

Baffled at this season

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Preseason thoughts/hopes (based on coaches comments):
1. Leary is great, very accurate, high FB IQ. Nope. He has flashes of being very good. He gets way too many passes batted down. He does not see the field much/any better than Levis. Has stretches of horrible inaccuracy on even the short passes. Hasn't been the upgrade we were told about.
2. OL much improved. It is improved. But MO ran for >250 yards on UT and we couldn't pick up 1 yard in two tries. Better on pass pro but that bar was really low last year. Still get confused by stunts, jump the snap, whiff on blocks, dumb penalties. Improved but not MUCH improved.
3. DL is deep and very talented. Nope. Get gashed a lot. Put no pressure on the QB and rarely make TFL. Get pushed around way too often.
4. Receiving corps best ever at UK. Nope. BB is a net negative on this team - runs poor routes, runs his mouth too much, doesn't win many 50/50 balls, drops, fumbles. DK had a bad stretch but seems like he's about where he was last year which means little improvement. TR is underused - again. TEs are way underused - still. Best play was quick pass to Bates and we never ran it again. Kattus made nice catch but is also a holding call waiting to happen. Dingle is either targeted quite a bit or not at all.
5. Coaching staff better. Nope. Still undisciplined team. Way too many guys mouthing off instead of playing. Safeties biting on PA 10 games into the season. WRs blocking on running plays sporadically. Head scratching play calls at times from both coordinators (see no pressure on 3rd and 17 today). Overall passive approach to every situation and every game. OL still seems confused too often. Team does not look like they're prepared, especially early in games. Rare adjustments throughout the game.

Many of us thought the schedule set up for a 9+ win season if all the above were true. Instead a 6 or 7 win season looks more likely. Obviously regressed in comparison to elite SEC teams but also in comparison to teams we need to beat to take the next step: UT, MO. Very disappointing and utterly baffling how we play week in, week out and none of the problems seem to be getting solved.

That 3rd and 17 play pretty much summed up stoops tenure here. He’s just a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

If he had todays game to do all over again knowing what he knows now, he wouldn’t change a thing and that tells you all you need to know.

That 3rd and 17 play pretty much summed up stoops tenure here. He’s just a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

If he had todays game to do all over again knowing what he knows now, he wouldn’t change a thing and that tells you all you need to know.
How could he change anything? Listening to him in post game he is “sad” about how things go but he never offers anything in regards to what went wrong or how we could be better. He’s “disappointed” but doesn’t seem to be able to express why or what we could have done better.

1. Going into season i was sure UK DL would be hard to run at and the passing part was a question mark
2. On offense we had no idea if the Oline would be legit but ample belief Leary would be a better passer underneath if we kept him
Upright

As the season progresses….i have no idea what happened to the defensive front seven. No injuries most of the year…that group played like ass I have no answer as to why. Outise if they were never that good

How could he change anything? Listening to him in post game he is “sad” about how things go but he never offers anything in regards to what went wrong or how we could be better. He’s “disappointed” but doesn’t seem to be able to express why or what we could have done better.
I’m not sure he understands what is wrong.

1. Going into season i was sure UK DL would be hard to run at and the passing part was a question mark

As the season progresses….i have no idea what happened to the defensive front seven. No injuries most of the year…that group played like ass I have no answer as to why. Outise if they were never that good

Bingo, that is by far the biggest disappointment to me. Really thought our defense would be good, maybe even very good.

But they are hapless at pass rush, and really not that tough to run on either by good teams anyway. Secondary is not great (Hairston is very good though) but are made to look terrible at times because they get no help at all on pass rush, so every QB has all day to find a receiver. Against Georgia and Alabama, we got a total of zero sacks. NONE!! In two games, just pitiful.

Finally, Vandy, Miss State and Florida all got smoked yesterday. We have not beaten anyone with a pulse. Not feeling good about rest of the season.

Of the starters Walker is the best by far when he lines up at NT, he just isn't as effective outside. The others are a couple steps down from him and wouldn't start at many other SEC schools. Rumor is AU is looking for more DL and the cost of lumber is escalating. The better AU gets the more it will cost to build a house.

^Our safety play has been truly awful. First two TDs yesterday, the safety played the wrong receiver and the one who scored had the entire middle of the field wide open. Against UT, they bit on an enormous amount of PA fakes and, again, left the middle open. Buffano has been a disaster in coaching that group. Completely undisciplined and allow huge plays time and time again.

I’m not sure he understands what is wrong.
We're 11 years in and we play the exact same way today that we did when he first got here. No adjustments.

On offense, if our running game is not humming then we have no chance of being effective.

On defense we have to pray the other team is totally inept on offense because we will play base, zone, prevent defense the entire game and make no adjustments.

The stupid, undisciplined play, mouthing off when you're 4 scores down, late hits for no reason, etc. Our team has been a discombobulated mess for the better part of 11 years. We seem to never play a clean, efficient game. That's a lack of coaching.

2. On offense we had no idea if the Oline would be legit but ample belief Leary would be a better passer underneath if we kept him
Upright

I’m just as confused about Barion Brown. I thought he would be fantastic, but has hurt more than he helped in many games. Seems like we are contractually obligated to try and get him the ball, and end up wasting a lot of possessions because of it. Not to mention he started the game with two bad decisions on kick returns and a crushing fumble that led to a TD.

I’m just as confused about Barion Brown. I thought he would be fantastic, but has hurt more than he helped in many games. Seems like we are contractually obligated to try and get him the ball, and end up wasting a lot of possessions because of it. Not to mention he started the game with two bad decisions on kick returns and a crushing fumble that led to a TD.

Not putting the kid down, but he doesn't seem interested in improving his route running or working on improving his hands and wants to rely on his speed and just run past guys. He isn't the only guy like that, UGA has one too.

1. Leary is great, very accurate, high FB IQ. Nope. He has flashes of being very good. He gets way too many passes batted down. He does not see the field much/any better than Levis. Has stretches of horrible inaccuracy on even the short passes. Hasn't been the upgrade we were told about.
2. OL much improved. It is improved. But MO ran for >250 yards on UT and we couldn't pick up 1 yard in two tries. Better on pass pro but that bar was really low last year. Still get confused by stunts, jump the snap, whiff on blocks, dumb penalties. Improved but not MUCH improved.
3. DL is deep and very talented. Nope. Get gashed a lot. Put no pressure on the QB and rarely make TFL. Get pushed around way too often.
4. Receiving corps best ever at UK. Nope. BB is a net negative on this team - runs poor routes, runs his mouth too much, doesn't win many 50/50 balls, drops, fumbles. DK had a bad stretch but seems like he's about where he was last year which means little improvement. TR is underused - again. TEs are way underused - still. Best play was quick pass to Bates and we never ran it again. Kattus made nice catch but is also a holding call waiting to happen. Dingle is either targeted quite a bit or not at all.
5. Coaching staff better. Nope. Still undisciplined team. Way too many guys mouthing off instead of playing. Safeties biting on PA 10 games into the season. WRs blocking on running plays sporadically. Head scratching play calls at times from both coordinators (see no pressure on 3rd and 17 today). Overall passive approach to every situation and every game. OL still seems confused too often. Team does not look like they're prepared, especially early in games. Rare adjustments throughout the game.

Many of us thought the schedule set up for a 9+ win season if all the above were true. Instead a 6 or 7 win season looks more likely. Obviously regressed in comparison to elite SEC teams but also in comparison to teams we need to beat to take the next step: UT, MO. Very disappointing and utterly baffling how we play week in, week out and none of the problems seem to be

Many of us thought the schedule set up for a 9+ win season if all the above were true. Instead a 6 or 7 win season looks more likely. Obviously regressed in comparison to elite SEC teams but also in comparison to teams we need to beat to take the next step: UT, MO. Very disappointing and utterly baffling how we play week in, week out and none of the problems seem to be getting solved.
See HEAD COACH...EVERYTHING begins and ends with him and his philosophies!!!

Need to make 2-3 changes on defensive staff. Tell barion brown to take a hike. Witnessed his family at a catwalk, explains his lack of discipline on the field.

It's called pre-season hype. It's how they get people to shell out that ass ton of money they charge for season tics and parking. If they told the truth then no one would hand over their money. After this year I am done with the hype. Show me. Then I pay.

The truth is this team never had a shot at anything. Leary was a gamble and they lost. Outside of Geiger most of our safeties are freshmen or sophomores. Geiger is an injury magnet. That guy playing Saturday was a red shirt I think. idk. Point is the entire secondary is young.

The whole team is super thin, and young. Key, Brown, and Kattis are just sophomores. We have a ton of fresh and sophomore players backing up every position. We have no backup QB. Line is thin.

Not really sure if this is a product of Stoops whiffing in the portal, transfers out, or "the plan", but it definitely plays into us not being good.

Rest of season won't prove much anyways. Sc sucks so if we beat them so what. Everyone here (including me) has said Louisville sucks and hasn't beaten anyone or played anyone all season so if we beat them are they all of a sudden a good win?

8 and 4 would be solid but beating 7 awful to below average teams and an overrated UL isn't something to brag about either.

Reactions: catben
Not putting the kid down, but he doesn't seem interested in improving his route running or working on improving his hands and wants to rely on his speed and just run past guys. He isn't the only guy like that, UGA has one too.
He is like a lot of guys today. It's about trying like a bada$$ running your mouth. Just because you catch a pass for a first down and the end all be all. Just play some freaking football.

This is a spot on post and MS thinks he is the sharpest knife in the drawer...He is so in over his head and full of himself. Now at 9 million a year there is no pressure to change...

My Preseason expectations…

The defense was worse than I thought except one unit I’ll mention below.

The QB play was worse than I thought.

The WR and TE play was worse than I thought.

On bright side…

Sanders lived up to the hype.

The OL still isn’t great but did improve a lot.

The safeties were quite good this year. Even with injuries. Over the season most of the big pass plays were given up by the corners.

I’d not be upset if someone outbids UK’s NIL offer this off-season and he transfers. He’s got promise but I don’t want to overpay after seeing two years of output.

Yeah they do some of it every year but the staff was really doing it this year with leaking out how good they would be. They had espn talking about the whispers out of Lexington might be a year to challenge GA. Laughable in retrospect.

Agree 100%. I get the feeling he’s leaving after this year. It’s a shame as the kid has a ton of potential, just not a good receiver.

Rest of season won't prove much anyways. Sc sucks so if we beat them so what. Everyone here (including me) has said Louisville sucks and hasn't beaten anyone or played anyone all season so if we beat them are they all of a sudden a good win?

8 and 4 would be solid but beating 7 awful to below average teams and an overrated UL isn't something to brag about either.
8-4 at UK will never be an awful season. We play 6 or so teams every year with more on-paper talent than us. I know that doesn’t always translate, but it does matter. I think it’s a great sign that we can even talk about being upset at an 8-4 season.

8-4 at UK will never be an awful season. We play 6 or so teams every year with more on-paper talent than us. I know that doesn’t always translate, but it does matter. I think it’s a great sign that we can even talk about being upset at an 8-4 season.

Yeah, it's solid. The schedule set up nice to accomplish it.

Not sure how many more seasons are gonna do that and especially when it goes to 9 sec games.

There was only 1 baffle and they baffled everyone this year. That's Missouri. You almost have to chalk that up to a flook. Nobody saw that coming. Nothing over the past couple of seasons under Drinkwitz indicated that what they have done this year was possible. I mean they literally went from a pretty reliable W on UK fans preseason schedule to damn near playing in Atlanta.

UGA and Bama are losses. We're nowhere near that level. Those programs are just different. Their coaching staffs are built different. I mean Charlie Strong is an "Analyst"...dude has a winning record and 4 bowl wins as an HC, plus all his Florida hardware.

Ken Whisenhunt is a "Special Assistant"...15-20 years NFL coaching. Wasn't a great HC but put up some points as an OC and has a Superbowl ring.

Kevin Steele...check that dude's coaching resume and lineage...Nebraska/Osborne...FSU Bowden...

Kiby has Will Muschamp...maybe not an HC but great DC with the hardware and team defensive stats/rankings to prove it.

So already from a knowledge and experience standpoint we're in such a huge hole.

Then you throw the depth and talent gap on top of that.

UT is UT. Not Bama or UGA but overall better than us obviously. Pretty close good game. CMS played for FGs and defense down the stretch when he probably should have been a little bit more aggressive at home.

Beating UL will be the only saving grace for this team, and I don’t line our chances there. UL is fired up and confident and has a coach who seems like he gets them ready to play above their heads. South Carolina should be a win, but they’re trending up while we’re self-imploding.

Reactions: FirewithFire
For me at least, we are 1 game off of what I expected. I thought we would win one of Tenn/missouri. Maybe If we had the fanbase wouldn’t be freaking out over a blowout to bama. I was not counting on UL to be as good as they are but Kentucky can still get that game. I can live with 8 wins. Hope we get it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT