ADVERTISEMENT

Asheville Recs

B.B.d.K.

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2003
GYERO
www.junkyardwillie.com
Seems like a lot of people are traveling there these days as a nice getaway weekend.

...my parents are heading there, and trying to find somethings for them to do. They are computer illiterate, and I basically plan their trips for them.

Of course, The Biltmore House.

I'm also aware of the booming craft beer scene, etc...but they aren't big drinkers. They do enjoy a nice meal, though.

What other kinds of stuff would fill their time for a long weekend?

Thanks catpaw

I love Asheville. Biltmore is a must, of course.

Theres a chocolate bar/bistro downtown that's incredible. You have wicked weed and highlands as local breweries. Probably more now, since its been a few years since ive visited.

The orange peel is a great music venue.

Lobster trap and curate (tapas) were both excellent.

Chai Pani is an awesome Indian Restaurant, my favorite I have ever been to. Not your typical Indian dive either, its bright, almost trendy, and really great.

Tupelo Honey Cafe is great, and they could go out to the Grove Park Inn do a tour and grab a meal at one of their restaurants.

They have one of *thee* classiest McDonalds you'll ever see. TS. I didn't get to go in but I think I noticed a piano and maybe a fire place. It's unreal from the outside. Be a great place to try a new Artisan Chicken Sandwich as that sandwich is tailor made for that specific location. You don't want to miss out like I did and spend the rest of your life regretting it.

Originally posted by Mashburned:
They have one of *thee* classiest McDonalds you'll ever see. TS. I didn't get to go in but I think I noticed a piano and maybe a fire place. It's unreal from the outside. Be a great place to try a new Artisan Chicken Sandwich as that sandwich is tailor made for that specific location. You don't want to miss out like I did and spend the rest of your life regretting it.
That the one right across the street from the Biltmore entrance?
laugh.r191677.gif

Speaking of artisan Chicken Sambos, that new Jalapeno Fresco Spicy Chicken from Wendy's is
eek.r191677.gif
...throw in a side of Ghost Pepper Cheese fries, and Wendy's has suddenly entered the ring as a top contender for a sloppy hangover or drunk meal.

Was super impressed.

Salsa's on Patton. Generic name but we've had amazing food there. Come hungry.

Posana is ok too for "high class" burgers.

Wicked Weed - great beer awful food.

If they hike, hit up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Plenty of waterfalls in a casual distance from the road. Can get packed during season.

The Chocolate Lounge is awesome deserts.

Tupelo Honey is over played. Avoid.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Grove park is nice. I'm bitter because that trip is when I found out I was getting a divorce. Awesome location.

You can also rent bikes and crap like that at the biltmore. The azaleas will be in the next few weeks.

Some wine tasting there is nice. We hit that up some.

Mela is good Indian food.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Its about 30 minutes away, but Sliding Rock is a lot of fun, but might not be open until after memorial day.

Its a bit "campy" but its cool, you can spend a day hiking in the blue ridge then go down the slides. The trails are very easy to do.

Probably better stuff to do, but we have family in the blue ridge, and we go every few years. My favorite is sliding rock.

Sliding Rock

Grove Park Inn is an amazing older hotel and the patio is well known for the sunset views. I think a couple old blue hairs would certainly enjoy.

Originally posted by bbonds:

Originally posted by Mashburned:
That the one right across the street from the Biltmore entrance?
laugh.r191677.gif
Yes, and given the choice, I would have preferred to spend my time there instead of at that stupid old house.

To: BBdK:
re: Wendy's...shew.

Place fell so hard. Doesn't even cross my mind. Those spicy things in which you speak of sound truly awful. That place tries way too hard...kind of like you and your internet postings.

Regards,
Mashburned

Plant is one of my favorite restaurants there. It's a bit different as it is vegan, but it's wonderful for a change. They'd need to grab reservations, though.

Just went last weekend. Loved Wicked Weed. Be sure and go to Salsa for dinner. Food is amazing, well worth the wait.

Downtown is a great place to walk around. Lots of galleries and shops, great eateries. Breakfast is a big thing there too, so they should definitely check out some of the many places serving breakfast. Lots of street musicians too. If they come across the "Big NastyJazz Band" while they are out strolling the streets, they are in for a treat. Downtown is small enough that you can cover quite a lot of it on foot in a day.

Regarding the Grove Park Inn, there is a podcast out there by Stuff You Missed In History Class about the history of the Inn, construction, etc. I listened to it while driving through Asheville the last time, but I wish I had listened to it before visiting the place. I'd suggest giving it a listen on your way.

Bottom line though is that the place awesome. The lobby alone to see fireplaces is worth a visit.

Love Asheville. We're only about an hour and 15 minutes away, and try to go over once a month. Lots of unique shops, great places to eat, music venues, and when the weather is warmer, there's usually some kind of small festival or art show going on. In addition, the Colorado Rockies Class A Sally League team plays in a stadium that's an easy downtown walk. As for restaurants, you can't go wrong with anything that's been mentioned so far. In addition, the Early Girl, the Noodle Shop, Chorizo (owned by the same chef as Salsa) , Jerusalem Garden, and a slew of others are great places to eat.

Have them get one of the behind-the-scenes tours at Biltmore. My mom loves the Butlers Tour.

Lots of cool waterfalls to see. Some are a little off the beaten path, but the trails are nice and the scenery is beautiful.

Sliding Rock is a must see IMO even if you don't slide. It's like God decided to make a water slide. Costs a dollar to slide (when we were there.)

Seems like a lot of people are traveling there these days as a nice getaway weekend.

...my parents are heading there, and trying to find somethings for them to do. They are computer illiterate, and I basically plan their trips for them.

Of course, The Biltmore House.

I'm also aware of the booming craft beer scene, etc...but they aren't big drinkers. They do enjoy a nice meal, though.

What other kinds of stuff would fill their time for a long weekend?

Thanks catpaw

ADVERTISEMENT