ADVERTISEMENT

As much as Cal means to KY, KY was KY before him and will be KY after him, if he leaves.

Last few posts I've seen the OP make, he's used the words "If Cal leaves"
Stop using those words. He isn't leaving yet. He still has a few years here.

All UK fans should be kissing Cal's ass(figuratively of course)..If we lose him UK takes a step back imo...

This is absolutely true - but UK is not always at the same level of quality.

I like to stay in that prime Cal/ prime Rick/ prime Rupp zone of UK dominance as long as possible, because as history as shown over and over again, not all the coaches we get will be that good.

Our worst may be better than many programs' best, but why wouldn't you want to see our best for as long as possible?

When Cal leaves UK will be a program at the top and will have their pick of coaches. When Billy G was hired we were at the bottom.

Wrong', it has been shown of you get the wrong guy here bad things can happen.

To continue the current level of performance we need Cal, there is not a single coach out there right now (who would legit take this job) who could walk right in and keep us at this elite level. Enjoy it

To continue the current level of performance we need Cal, there is not a single coach out there right now (who would legit take this job) who could walk right in and keep us at this elite level. Enjoy it

You get it!!

Maybe Sean Miller or Gregg Marshall - though neither is nearly as proven as Cal, and the latter has some of the same personality idiosyncrasies as BCG, which might be a red flag for taking this job.

And beyond those two - I don't know if there's another realistic candidate at the moment who is even in the same universe.

Good to know now we don't have to worry about the next coach for awhile. Man, is he makin bank!!!!!!

All UK fans should be kissing Cal's ass(figuratively of course)..If we lose him UK takes a step back imo...
If it were to actually make the difference, I would literally plant my lips on his white, Italian butt cheeks and kiss as long and hard as he wanted me to. I'd never look at him the same as a person again, but at least we'd keep making final fours.

The same thing can be said of other top programs, North Carolina took a hit when Guthridge had the job, UCLA has struggled since Wooden left, Indiana slipped when Davis now Crean took the job and there are more. One big reason Kentucky slipped was going through a hiring firm when Gillespie was hired, a program like UK should never let someone else look for their coach. When former players and coaches got involved Calipari was given the job, we rebounded quickly, hopefully we learned from the mistake, I don't think that will ever happen again. We will always have a good coach in the future.

Reactions: W2R
Well we have beat the living crap out of this topic but I'll toss my opinion in the ring.
We don't NEED Cal, yes he's great but he does have holes in his game. If I had my choice I would take Cal ten times out of 10 but one day we will have to replace this guy and we are going to end up with a really good coach. You can thank Billy G for that. UK brass learned a huge lesson by hiring that failure and you can bet that when it comes time to replace Cal ten years from now (hopefully) whoever the AD is will be well informed about what happened in 08 and 09. We need a guy that can recruit (he won't be at Cal's level through), has a good X and O game and has personality. That guy exists, our AD just needs to find him.

If we go back to the KY of the Billy G. era no thanks pay Coach Cal 12 million to stay
Kentucky wasn't Kentucky for several years. I like things the way they are and if anyone thinks the recruits Cal has brought to Kentucky is more the effect of the Kentucky tradition than the Calipari effect, they are dead wrong IMO.

Reactions: michaeluk26
But I don't want to lose him just yet.
Hello! Calipari just signed a contract extension at Kentucky for more money than most NBA teams could afford to pay him. He tweeted that he is not interested in other jobs. He isn't going anywhere. You seem to enjoy posting provocative threads that are removed from reality.

The same thing can be said of other top programs, North Carolina took a hit when Guthridge had the job, UCLA has struggled since Wooden left, Indiana slipped when Davis now Crean took the job and there are more. One big reason Kentucky slipped was going through a hiring firm when Gillespie was hired, a program like UK should never let someone else look for their coach. When former players and coaches got involved Calipari was given the job, we rebounded quickly, hopefully we learned from the mistake, I don't think that will ever happen again. We will always have a good coach in the future.
Guth took UNC to the Final Four, and was only there 2-3 seasons.

Guth took UNC to the Final Four, and was only there 2-3 seasons.
That's right, I could say he did it with Deans players, he inherited some very good talent, anyway, he wanted out and the fan base wanted him out too, his last season was the worst in 11 years for Carolina, not bashing Bill, just saying.

Maybe Sean Miller or Gregg Marshall - though neither is nearly as proven as Cal, and the latter has some of the same personality idiosyncrasies as BCG, which might be a red flag for taking this job.

And beyond those two - I don't know if there's another realistic candidate at the moment who is even in the same universe.

Exactly...Miller would be the best option, but he will not take this job if open/offered.

Exactly...Miller would be the best option, but he will not take this job if open/offered.
Yeah - he would be a tough get, and even if we lucked out and got him - that's best case scenario and we're still talking about a bit of a dropoff. He hasn't been nearly as successful as Cal with a crazy amount of talent, and he's done it out west while UCLA is in shambles - his biggest competition out there is Gonzaga, fergoodnessake. He'd be great, don't get me wrong, but the standard now is just gonna be so high going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT