ADVERTISEMENT

Are you satisfied with the way Steve Brown has recruited?

ukfit

All-American
Jul 10, 2001
I see some on the boards saying he is not recruiting many recruits.
Is this true?
question.gif

This post was edited on 9/13 3:34 PM by ukfit

No, not really. Like being a car salesman, some people have it and some don't. One thing for certain is that we need every member on the staff actively involved in recruiting in one form or another. Certain NCAA rules regulate the amount of coaches you can have away from campus actively recruiting at any given time but that doesn't mean you can't be fully involved in the process.

For Brown to be a SEC defensive coordinator with time in the pros, I just don't think he has the "it" factor for recruiting. Either that, or he just doesn't want to get heavily involved. Here's his recruiting profile for this year and you can scroll through years past to see who he has been involved with. This doesn't necessarily tell the whole tale as more than one coach is normally involved with a recruit, but it gives you some idea.

Brown's recruiting profile

Whoah! Looking back over the years of his recruiting......wow....he hasn't really brought in that many has he?

I am not a big fan of these arguments using the information from the recruiting profiles of a coach. There are typically a handful of people that commit to UK but no recruiting coach is listed. I just don't think that the coach or coaches listed on Rivals is a good indicator of recruiting success.

Personally I prefer to look at the fact that Joker kept Steve Brown around. Joker fired several coaches and went for ones with more success at recruiting. Why would he keep Steve Brown if he does not fit into Joker's philosophy?

I know everyone harps on his schemes and play calling but I think the lack of recruiting is much worse. Look at our talent and depth in the upperclassmen along the DL. It's scary bad. I believe he truly is an NFL guy and that's were he will end up. I think this is his last year regardless of how our defense does.

Originally posted by Comebakatz03:
I am not a big fan of these arguments using the information from the recruiting profiles of a coach. There are typically a handful of people that commit to UK but no recruiting coach is listed. I just don't think that the coach or coaches listed on Rivals is a good indicator of recruiting success.

Personally I prefer to look at the fact that Joker kept Steve Brown around. Joker fired several coaches and went for ones with more success at recruiting. Why would he keep Steve Brown if he does not fit into Joker's philosophy?

I think it probably has something to do with and understanding between Brooks and Joker on keeping Brown.

Brown can't recruit or doesn't try, I'm not sure which. Joker kept Brown because (a) he thinks he can be a decent DC and or (b) he did not want to make too many wholesale changes to the staff in his first year. We'll see how the rest of the season goes.

Brown is a mixed bag in my opinion, his critics love to point to the MSU give away last year as proof positive evidence of his ineptitude but seem to get amnesia when they are reminded of holding Auburn to 14 at their place. Auburn being the hottest offense in the SEC at the time we played them.

You can't have it both ways. Most of the people that are ragging on Brown's defense don't know jack-$hit about football, you can tell by their posts. That doesn't mean I'm a cheerleader for Brown. Like I said he is a mixed bag. He has great games, good games and not so good games and he ads little to nothing to the recruiting effort. I would like to see him make a big push as both a DC and a recruiter because he is a smart guy and a talented coach. Seems to be a very nice man as well.

Deeeefense I have always enjoyed your posts. You have a thoughtful and respectful style that is always worth my time.

About Browns defense, he improved our defense from a very,very bad defense to a respectable defense. This year we are a little shorthanded so we get to see just how much Brown can do with a limited roster of high caliber and experienced players. One question though---Isn't Brown a bit on the young side when compared to other great defensive cordinators?

Why would he keep Steve Brown if he does not fit into Joker's philosophy?

I think it probably has something to do with and understanding between Brooks and Joker on keeping Brown.

Read someplace it was a "contract" situation for this year. That's all I know

Actually I think his defense held Auburn to only one TD, isn't that the game where they returned the blocked FGA for a long TD?

If he been here 6 years and not brought in a single recruit,and his coaching is not that good ,how does he keep his job?

Originally posted by ukgolfcat:
If he been here 6 years and not brought in a single recruit,and his coaching is not that good ,how does he keep his job?

Don't know about the recruiting but do know there's probably not one poster who has the slightest idea of how good a coach he might or might not be.

Just alot of ignorant posts caused by frustration.

He doesn't recruit, and that's one of the Joker's big knocks on him. Look at the current commitment list, and see which of the committed kids he recruited......"0". Our defense has done "enough" over the past 4 years, but our offense has had a lot to do with that, i.e., time of possession.

Looks like he didnt recruit well enough for Joker.
And I guess he noticed afterall.

Kind of misleading since we haave another Brown on the staff now, and yeah, seems like he is a GREAT DEAL more sctive than the old one.

Besides, he gets us a ton of interest with his offense.

^^^ damn man, all the same posters. And it’s a mod. I wanna know which one.

And he posted they just like he does under herrosheroes.

Crazy man I wish our research wasn’t done away with. Start one on the radar recruiting forum or something maybe they won’t see it. I’ll delete this message.

Dude damn I was actually about to post something from him too. There’s a post where he brings up withers and smed and lead belly.
I'm gonna hurl. This is unreal. How many of these ''people'' we've been talking too are actually just the same mod? Also, the thread is back up. He's playing with us.

Reactions: Gromcat
@Gromcat feeling uneasy. Train Rollin and ruppsrunt come in and say oh no man its not me im just someone who sees the bs/a poster who has no affiliation with the site/im on everyday and ban a lot of trolls.

Reactions: Gromcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT