ADVERTISEMENT

Are you a reader?

kyaddict

Blue Chip Prospect
Feb 2, 2005
I read a lot in high school and college. Steven King by the bucketloads. John Grisham and Anne Rice. Civil War history too. Got married, kids came along - quit/forgot/didn't have time to read for almost a decade. Went to visit some friends a few states away and after breakfast, my friend sat down and picked up a book. 4 kids running around, loud, chaos in general... I don't think he heard a thing.

I started reading again that day, and forgot what an absolute pleasure/addiction it is to lose yourself in someone else's story. I have read all summer and I have enjoyed (almost felt) those parts of my brain firing up again.

Are you a reader? What do you like to read?

Reactions: LordEgg
In all seriousness, I've always been an avid reader. What I read depends on how much time I have or where I'm reading. Might read Grantland on my phone while waiting somewhere, or might pick up The Iliad again at home before bed.

I prefer the classics and American lit. Not a fan of very much that comes out now, although I was in the right age group to be a big Harry Potter nerd, which goes against my stereotypical English major snobbery.

i like to read about past history such as wars. I absolutely never would read books of fiction.

I like some non-fiction and I love fantasy stuff, I guess that came from how much I enjoyed reading The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings when I was in high school. Now I have read The Wheel Of Time and Game of Thrones. I love huge books where the story keeps going. For history fans who like a bit of fiction Ken Follett's historical fiction stuff is amazing. The recently completed Eternity Trilogy is awesome and his first 2 books Pillars of The Earth and World Without End are really good as well.

Like Grisham, but I can never remember titles of books I've read. I'll pick one up and forty pages into it realize I've already read it. Lady at church introduced me to Baldacci. He's pretty good. I've read some James Patterson, pretty good. Koontz is really good.

I read a lot in high school and college. Steven King by the bucketloads. John Grisham and Anne Rice. Civil War history too. Got married, kids came along - quit/forgot/didn't have time to read for almost a decade. Went to visit some friends a few states away and after breakfast, my friend sat down and picked up a book. 4 kids running around, loud, chaos in general... I don't think he heard a thing.

I started reading again that day, and forgot what an absolute pleasure/addiction it is to lose yourself in someone else's story. I have read all summer and I have enjoyed (almost felt) those parts of my brain firing up again.

Are you a reader? What do you like to read?

Vince Flynn was really good. Baldacci, Patterson and some Grisham. Having kids (one with autism) has crushed reading time.

Not a fan of most pop culture books like Grishom, Dan Brown, Patterson etc, they are books for house wives and people who want to be seen reading.

-A fan of classic literature.

-Love Bukowski, Hemmingway, Dostevsky- all real men.

- Love books on human behavior, physics (Michio Kaku is the best), and history.

-Will read older scifi as well, Asimov Foundation is still amazing (just reread last week)

-Big fan of short stories- A good man is hard to find, the short happy life of Frances Macomber, Steinbeck- Pastures of Heaven, Borges and Vonnegut make the list too.

I'm kind of a binge reader. I will stop for a while, then read 2 or 3 in a short period. I really prefer the classics, biographies, and nonfiction. When I read fiction, it has to be for a reason or something that's really good. An example is Vonnegut, I'm not an atheist or social rebel but I've read every book he published and a great deal of his short stories and articles.

I try to read a lot, prefer non-fiction...mainly military history, with some biographies sprinkled in, and the occasional sports' history book.

Right now I am reading Martin Gilbert's mammonth 1270 page book on Winston Churchill....from 1939-1941! (Yes, 2 years of his life...1270 pages lol), and then I have the next volume that is 1350 pages that covers the rest of WWII for Churchill from late 1941-1945. Suffice to say, I am a huge Churchill fan and an immense World War II fan.

I also recently read a book on the Spanish-American War, Mexican War, a book on the history of the Marine Corps, and a biography on Herr Hitler. I probably own 100+ books on WWII easily...I also love the American Civil War, but only have around a dozen on it so far. I am a bit of a book collector...like having my own little library, although sometimes I think about all the money I waste on buying books (albeit used) and shake my head.

I started reading a bunch again last year as my "New Years Resolution" after being sporadic the past few years. Realized my problem was trying to read too much stuff I felt like I should be reading rather than stuff I enjoyed. Since Last January I'm at like 22-25 books I think. Amazon is crazy good at matching me up with stuff I enjoy.

Been reading a lot of non-fiction with a few historical type novels.

Unbroken(got me started in this realm) - A+
All the Light We Cannot See(Novel) - A+
81 days Below Zero - A (about 60% done)
Boy in the Boat - Up next but looks promising
In the Kingdom of Ice - A(slow start but excellent final 100 pages.)

I enjoy rock and roll autobiographies. I've read The Dirt (Motley Crue), Nikki Sixx's "The Heroine Diaries", Slash, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, KISS' autobiography, and currently working through Ozzy Osbourne's.

I just love the insane stories of debauchery.
The Dirt is up there with To Kill A Mockingbird.

Crazy from the Heat is good too (David Lee Roth)

Check out Michel Azzared- He wrote Our band could be oyur life (which is amazing, 80s punk scene) and Nirvana - which is the definitive biography.

Because Kurt Cobain was a crybaby vagina who always talked about how much he hated life and being famous. Don't wanna be famous?... go work in a grocery store. That's not the rock star life. I prefer guys that lived the life... not queefs that took the easy way out because they couldn't handle it.

Foo Fighters > Nirvana.
Hahaha I'm assuming, since you don't like him or the band, that you probably know very little about him and his/their musical influences. Of course you would like Foo Fighters more haha. Kurt was full of contradictions. Most complicated people are. You didn't get Him or them. It's cool.

doesn't seem like there's much more to get other than he played music, got famous, got strung out, didn't wanna be famous, had a pretty shitty life in general outside music, couldn't handle it, and killed himself. Not really anything I wanna read about. I'd rather read about parties, the sex, the drugs, the travel, the smack talk about other bands, etc. Nothing about Cobain would interest me, I'd bet. If so, I'm not gonna give it the chance to find out. I do appreciate the recommendation from LEK, though.
Fair enough.

I read a lot. I have the luxury of a 40 minute subway ride twice a day, and that is the minimum time I read each day.

No real category; military history, literary fiction, science. Right now I'm reading a book by Jim Harrison called Brown Dog. I'm reading Erik Larson's The Devil in The White City. I just finished Armageddon, a history of the last nine months of the European War in 1945 by Max Hastings, and RIchard Ford's Let Me Be Frank, the coda to the Frank Bascombe books that began with The Sportswriter in the 1980s. I stalled on, but may go back to, They Marched Into Sunlight, by David Maraniss which sought to parallel the lives of draft dodgers and soldiers in Vietnam during the summer of 1967. Was riveted by the parts on Vietnam and what young draftees went through but couldn't muster the proper interest in the mewling middle class war protesters. That was a view of moral equivalency I didn't share with the author.

I almost always have a book nearby. I've read everything by Stephen King. I love to read books by Dan Simmons, James Rollins, John Sandford, etc. I also enjoy fantasy novels like The Wheel of Time series, LOTR trilogy and others.

Used to be a non-fiction snob. Would look down upon any fictional book, until I started reading good fiction. Given my druthers, a good non-fiction beats fiction most of the time, but a book my someone like Steinbeck is hard to beat as well.

Not a fan of most pop culture books like Grishom, Dan Brown, Patterson etc, they are books for house wives and people who want to be seen reading.

-A fan of classic literature.

-Love Bukowski, Hemmingway, Dostevsky- all real men.

- Love books on human behavior, physics (Michio Kaku is the best), and history.

-Will read older scifi as well, Asimov Foundation is still amazing (just reread last week)

-Big fan of short stories- A good man is hard to find, the short happy life of Frances Macomber, Steinbeck- Pastures of Heaven, Borges and Vonnegut make the list too.
Book snob?

I'm more of a math person. Reading is a chore to me so if I'm going to do it it's nonfiction so I can learn something. I would rather analyze a racing form than read a book.

Don't read much fiction.

I enjoy the hell out of rock n roll and sports biographies/autobiographies. I also enjoy books chronicling true crimes/crime syndicates.

Have been a prolific reader in the past - biographies, American history, historical fiction - but now mostly listen to best-selling books while traveling. Great way to pass the time on long drives and flights. Did read a hardcopy of Grisham's latest, Gray Mountain, and think it's his best ever.

ADVERTISEMENT