ADVERTISEMENT

Are the coaches allowed to work with/view players right now?

Didn't they change the rules last year that allows some limited contact by the coaching staff during the summer, or did I just dream that?

I think you are right. I believe they had postional meetings throughout the summer last year. I'm not sure what the rules are, I just remember hearing the coaches speak about how helpful it was for such a young team.

Reason for the post is that we hear Towles has a leg up in the competition. How would Stoops know without actually seeing the two qbs workout and throw the ball??

Reason for the post is that we hear Towles has a leg up in the competition. How would Stoops know without actually seeing the two qbs workout and throw the ball??

Didn't they have spring practice?

I think they have an old post from spring practice still up, not sure why.

Stoops has said Towles has a leg up and that we should "read between the lines" in regards to the QB competition..Dawson has said Towles has a leg up as well.

Now think about it for a second. Why do you think they would say those things without having observed the summer workouts? If the competition was semi-close do you think they'd continually be saying that one guy has a leg up, even without having watched the QB's workout over the summer?

The obvious answer (which they have stated over and over): Towles is the starter, but they don't want to name him the starter publicly because they want both QB's to continue to work like they're trying to earn the job. Why name the starter now when both players will work even harder if a starter isn't named?

After observing Stoops' coaching style, it's clear that he isn't the type of coach to name a starter in the offseason, no matter how much of an advantage of a player may have. He wouldn't even name Boom Williams the starter at running back, even though we all know he's going to be the guy. He's trying to create an environment of high-level competition on this team, and by not naming any player a starter during the spring and summer, he's doing that.

Do what he told us at the governor's cup luncheon: READ BETWEEN THE LINES. When he says Towles has a "leg up" he's saying: Towles is the starter, but I'm not going to name him the starter in June when both players will work even harder if I don't.

We have one of the best QB's in the nation according to the experts and my eyeballs. The only way he's being replaced by a freshman with no experience is if he's injured. I'm kind of anxious to see what he'll do myself.

Reactions: Brock28
Stoops has said Towles has a leg up and that we should "read between the lines" in regards to the QB competition..Dawson has said Towles has a leg up as well.

Now think about it for a second. Why do you think they would say those things without having observed the summer workouts? If the competition was semi-close do you think they'd continually be saying that one guy has a leg up, even without having watched the QB's workout over the summer?

The obvious answer (which they have stated over and over): Towles is the starter, but they don't want to name him the starter publicly because they want both QB's to continue to work like they're trying to earn the job. Why name the starter now when both players will work even harder if a starter isn't named?

After observing Stoops' coaching style, it's clear that he isn't the type of coach to name a starter in the offseason, no matter how much of an advantage of a player may have. He wouldn't even name Boom Williams the starter at running back, even though we all know he's going to be the guy. He's trying to create an environment of high-level competition on this team, and by not naming any player a starter during the spring and summer, he's doing that.

Do what he told us at the governor's cup luncheon: READ BETWEEN THE LINES. When he says Towles has a "leg up" he's saying: Towles is the starter, but I'm not going to name him the starter in June when both players will work even harder if I don't.

We have one of the best QB's in the nation according to the experts and my eyeballs. The only way he's being replaced by a freshman with no experience is if he's injured. I'm kind of anxious to see what he'll do myself.

Good insight that makes sense. Towles clearly was the better of the two in the scrimmages in the spring but your comments on how Stoops keeps high level competition is right on. Good info!!

I am less concerned about the coaches being allowed to coach them than I am about not ever getting any reports on the progress of the players, is there some ban on anyone watching them and saying who looks good, etc? Are they afraid they will give away some secret play drawn up in the sand for a touch football game? Or do they play flag football, a much much better game, IMO..

ADVERTISEMENT