ADVERTISEMENT

Any interest in another NBA GM Scratch Draft?

My two cents on the type of players discussion: I think the all-time draft was fun last summer, and it's easier to build a great roster with all those guys available, BUT, nothing has changed with how any of those guys are viewed.

What I mean is, even those at the top of the draft every time we've done current players are different versions of themselves and compare differently to their peers than they did the year before. The legends won't really ever change.

Now, that doesn't mean the draft won't go differently and all that, there's just not the same level of newness. In the past, we've done coaches or franchises. Maybe drop those and do a mixture of the drafts, like each team can have 2 legends? I can already think of several interesting strategy implications from that.

I don't care try to hash out the details Gonzo. Lets start the draft tomorrow morning.

Meh, I'd rather not mix them. Current is fine, even though I think we need to do a better job of describing the goal this time. Otherwise whoever gets stuck at the end of the order is screwed.

We could go with players drafted or draft eligible from 1986 to today.

Eliminates most of the guys with "legend" status.

Still forces you to consider things like: who is better between Chris Webber and Chris Bosh?

We could go with players drafted or draft eligible from 1986 to today.

Eliminates most of the guys with "legend" status.

Still forces you to consider things like: who is better between Chris Webber and Chris Bosh?
if you want a more competitive draft you would do this.

for instance you take off shaq, mj, duncan, olajuwon, magic etc. you take of like 15 of the top hof-ers, add a cut off date, and it would make a more even playing field, and the individual picks would be more important. this way when people vote they will consider the entire roster and not see mj and just vote his team.

btw why is it 14? yeah it's a lottery but there are way more franchises than that. this year's draftees will likely not determine the winner or loser. just trying to understand that. anyway that it takes a while shouldn't bother people as it's may. what's frustrating is waiting a couple days to pick even though one guy already has mj and durant lmao. there's a difference here. having time to make a good pick is half the fun in the later rounds.

It's 14 because the standard fantasy league is 12 teams, and then it seemed lame to leave out the guy who won last year, then we needed an even number of teams.

We could do 30 teams since there are 30 franchises but that would take an eternity and wouldn't be any fun because most casual fans and voters wouldn't know half the guys taken. Even 12 has led to some guys clearly struggling to pick late in the draft.

It's 14 because the standard fantasy league is 12 teams, and then it seemed lame to leave out the guy who won last year, then we needed an even number of teams.

We could do 30 teams since there are 30 franchises but that would take an eternity and wouldn't be any fun because most casual fans and voters wouldn't know half the guys taken. Even 12 has led to some guys clearly struggling to pick late in the draft.

edit. that's fine. as for the second paragraph. i don't recall that last time. down to the last pick we were all saying "i was going to take him" to the guy picking before us. doesn't sound like uninformed people to me at all.

that it takes too long is your preference i respect it. i don't understand the typical group draft. last time was the first one i ever tried.

Lets just go with current and incoming players. 12 rounds and the goal is to create the best balance between winning now and setting yourself up for the future.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
i must have missed it cause i read through the thread a couple times and see no rules, draft order, start time, etc... maybe you could you quote the post for me
you're suppose to offer an opinion of the rules you want. they are going with 14 and that was finalized last night. not sure what else you're expecting as there is no dialogue for the rules besides a couple opinions that we're not acknowledged. so you have the op to go by, which was left open ended. already have a way you guys did it before. you probably will want to give an opinion. asking for the result shuts down the forum for the draft settings. so if you guys don't care the rules say so and i'm sure he'll start it ASAP.

I'm in no hurry to start, or we can start tomorrow or whenever. I just wanted to let it breathe a bit and not let all the talking be done by who happened to be online that day.

Agreed. We'll go forward with the 14 we have, and Hoteblue can be the first alternate if someone bails.

Let's talk rules, format, etc.

With Wildcatsboston out (is that serious?) Hotelblue is in. Let's spend tomorrow letting everyone discuss specifics and aim to start Thursday morning.

My vote is current players only and this draft class with 12 rounds of a snake draft.

Will people vote for the best team or which team they'd want to be a fan of?

I would like to be #12! I went to sign up last night but it would not allow me to sign in under my phone. I figured I missed the train...

Even though I liked this post at the time just realized I totally overlooked it. Sorry about that.

with a couple folks dropping, it looks like the Great Wall and East Lansing Cat are both in, right?

We seem split on the all-time vs current player draft.

I think we all agree serpentine style (I'll randomize the draft order), and we'll say 12 rounds with an 8 hour clock as described above. If we need to shorten or lengthen that, we can.

Even though I liked this post at the time just realized I totally overlooked it. Sorry about that.

with a couple folks dropping, it looks like the Great Wall and East Lansing Cat are both in, right?

We seem split on the all-time vs current player draft.

I think we all agree serpentine style (I'll randomize the draft order), and we'll say 12 rounds with an 8 hour clock as described above. If we need to shorten or lengthen that, we can.
I'll throw my vote in for current players/draft class.

Are trades allowed? I'd like to go all Danny Ainge and stock up future 1st round draft picks.

Haha, I'll say no on the trades, just because it would turn into a logistical nightmare for everyone involved (including me for keeping up with it).

Although it might be cool to keep these teams around instead (or in addition to) doing a new draft each year. Kind of look back and see whose team really turned out great three years later or whatever.

I'll vote current players/draft class as well. Can we maybe concoct a list of 5-10 guys that are off limits? I feel like the Lebron's and Durant's will skew the results. 5-10 players is not so many that we end up drafting obscure guys in the later rounds.

We need to make the voting criteria very clear this time. It should be who you feel has set up their franchise the best to succeed. You need to have a team capable of competing now, but also have a lot of valuable assets for the future. Way too many people went one extreme or the other.

We need to make the voting criteria very clear this time. It should be who you feel has set up their franchise the best to succeed. You need to have a team capable of competing now, but also have a lot of valuable assets for the future. Way too many people went one extreme or the other.

Agreed.

Is everyone still checking in and reading the thread? Should we use the @ feature?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT