ADVERTISEMENT

Any interest in another NBA GM Scratch Draft?

GonzoCat90

All-American
Mar 30, 2009
We've done one for the last three summers I think, and it's been a good way to pass the time. Switched it up to include All-time players last year, which was a fun change, and I'm open to doing either or both again this year.

For those unfamiliar, the concept is simple. We take 10-15 "owners" (posters on this board) and set up a 10-12 round fantasy draft style format using threads on this board. We reverse the picks in each round (first picks last, etc.), and all owners try to draft the team "you would most want to be a fan of." I chose that distinction to give people multiple approaches to building a team (win now, built for the future, balance, etc) and to make things more interesting.

At the end, we randomize a bracket, start a thread for each matchup, let those two owners make their case, and let everyone else vote to decide the winner.

The format, style, etc. is open for discussion as well. It can definitely be improved and changed if anyone has any ideas, I'm just looking to see if anyone is interested in going forward with this again this year. Seems like we might finally have a year where you can't just play the LeBron trump card, so things will be more interesting.

If you want to go ahead and formally pledge your interest and claim a spot, we can use this thread to do so. I'd like to cap the teams at 12 or so to avoid things being too watered down and make sure it stays casual-fan friendly for voting purposes. We'll hash the rest out later.

Any idea what the 'topic' will be this year?

Sounds interesting.

I'm open to ideas. The first few we did was just a normal draft of all players who were either in the NBA or whose names were in the NBA draft. Last year we expanded it to include any player in NBA/ABA history as well.

This year I'd like to stick to the current players and draft prospects, and still give people the freedom to try and draft the team voters would most want to be a fan of. That can be a confusing standard, and there's a lot of gray room there on purpose.

Basically, you can load up on old guys who are great players and try to win it all now, you can stockpile young talent and argue you'll be the best for the next decade, or find a mix, which seems to be a common sense approach. As long as you can explain your plan and people think it's strong, you're good.

But again, we can scrap that entirely and go with something new if anyone has a good idea and it's what everyone wants. This is my baby but I'm far from married to it. Just what we've done in the past.

Reactions: bigc45157
I think best idea is draft from current pool of NBA players and players entering draft. But I'm up for whatever.

Reactions: bigc45157
I should also mention that this is a pretty big time commitment. If you don't post/read here every day, it's probably not for you.

I think last year we set an 8-hour clock that stops from midnight to 6 am eastern time so that no one is on the clock while they sleep and so that people can deal with work, family, life, etc. Your timer starts when the poster before you picks, unless they pick during a time when the clock is stopped (which you can still do).

If you time out, the draft continues without you. You can pick anyone who hasn't already been drafted when you show back up. If a full round passes before you pick, we either give your team to an alternate drafter or scrap it altogether and the draft continues with one less team and without the players that team has drafted.

Basically, if you're going to participate, be considerate of others and remember that we're doing this for fun and to kill time. No one wants to wait all day knowing they get to pick next. Check in, see if you might get to pick at some point that day, and make it a habit to stay around.

Several of us used twitter, email, etc. to stay in communication last year or to make picks by proxy if we couldn't be around, but every year we've had people vanish even in the first few rounds. Just try not to be a jerk and sign up if you know you won't finish or be around.

I'm in.

I will note that you can sign up to be emailed when a new post is made in specific threads, so if someone posts their pick you can be notified without having to manually check on your own.

I think best idea is draft from current pool of NBA players and players entering draft. But I'm up for whatever.
BudLightGirls.jpg

I'll help long as someone else shoulders most of the work. I think you cut off the people limit at 12 or 16 gonzo

So far we have

1. UKCats1988
2. Catsfan3523
3.Gossie21
4.BigC45157
5.Dream Team 13
6.CoolCat9Lives
7.UKNorse
8.Aike
9.WildcatsBoston1984
10. Hoskins91

and myself makes 11. We'll tentatively set the cap at 12 and look for one more person.

We could do a shared Google Spreadsheet where only the 12 drafting can edit the spreadsheet. Whenever you make a pick, just go into the spreadsheet and type in the name and save.

of course.

how about no nba/aba all-stars? long shots and underdogs. would need a cut off date date probably somewhere.

as defending champ i should be grandfathered in.

I can't argue with that logic. If no one has a problem with it, let's go to 14 and let Miracle defend his title and Lukasz join as the first to ask after we were at 12.

If there's enough interest and someone who's been in this before wanted to run it, we could do two 12 or 14 team drafts and let the winners of both brackets face off. Or even two drafts with 10 each. Might be confusing, but it would be better than leaving 6-7 people out or having a 20 team draft.

You're gonna have to set a limit. There's no way 20 people start this thing and go all the way. I already have doubts about some of the 14 names we have.

Reactions: UKcats1988
Agreed. We'll go forward with the 14 we have, and Hoteblue can be the first alternate if someone bails.

Let's talk rules, format, etc.

I want to do the All-Time Player draft again. As we have seen in the past most voters will automatically vote for any Lebron or Durant team I guess you can now throw in Steph Curry depending on the pieces around him.

Of course you want to do the draft Serpentine style 1-14... 14-1 I'd say 10 rounds is plenty.

I also could argue just for a fun twist. Make MJ ineligible for the draft. Which would remove votes that think MJ would win with any great team.

I agree that I would prefer the all time draft, but I'm up for whatever. Set it up like we usually do. Snake draft that lasts 10-15 rounds, however long you want this thing to last.

I like the current nba players and draft players better but either one is fine with me.

I'd prefer a current nba player and incoming draft class only and a snake draft of 12-15 rounds.

ADVERTISEMENT