ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing stat from coachcal.com

EvilMD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2003
Under Coach Cal, UK has now had players taken No. 1 (3x), No. 2, No. 3, No. 5, No. 6 (2x), No. 7, No. 8, No. 12, No. 13 & No. 14.

Would love to see Tubby's list in the 10 years he was here.

Just checked on Jon Scott's site....Tubby had Rondo (21st) and Prince (23rd). Those were his only two first rounders unless you count Patrick Patterson, who never played for him.

Just checked on Jon Scott's site....Tubby had Rondo (21st) and Prince (23rd). Those were his only two first rounders unless you count Patrick Patterson, who never played for him.
You could also count Padgett, Mohammed, and Magloire who were drafted in the first round and played under Tubby when they were drafted.

Still it's not a great resume compared to Cal.

Even the good players that tubby had, he still held them back. Only tubby could prevent Rondo from being a Top 5 pick.

Reactions: Uk1111
Why did this thread turn into a Tubby bashing thread? He hasn't coached here in 8 years, move on.

It's just an interesting contrast. I looked it up and even Pitino pales in comparison in this category.

Why did this thread turn into a Tubby bashing thread? He hasn't coached here in 8 years, move on.

I was thinking the same thing. People are obsessed. It's rather ridiculous and those bashing in tubby STILL in this thread are obviously not very intelligent.

8 years people...

As great as our teams were during the Pitino era, he didn't get many players drafted in the first round either. In his 8 seasons at UK he produced only 4 lottery picks, and only 6 total 1st rounders, despite winning 219 games, going to three Final Fours, and going 1-1 in National Championship games. I'm not counting Mohammed or Padgett because they developed into go-to guys during Tubby's head coaching tenure (just like Josh Harrellson developed into an NBA player under Cal, even though CBG recruited him)

1993 - Jamal Mashburn (#4)
1996 - Antoine Walker (#6), Tony Delk (#16), Walter McCarty (#19)
1997 - Ron Mercer (#6), Derek Anderson (#13)

In contrast, Tubby Smith coached here 10 seasons and produced five 1st rounders -

1998 - Nazr Mohammed (#29)
1999 - Scott Padgett (#28)
2000 - Jamal Magloire (#19)
2002 - Tayshaun Prince (#23)
2006 - Rajon Rondo (#21)

(in Tubby's defense Keith Bogans, Kelenna Azubuike, and Chuck Hayes SHOULD be on this list because they had decent NBA careers despite going 2nd round or undrafted)

Of course, neither hold a candle to Coach Cal's NINETEEN(!!!) 1st rounders in just 6 seasons (26 players drafted total, that is an average of 4.33 players drafted every season) . That number doesn't even seem possible when you consider what Pitino and Tubby produced in more time.

Reactions: oldfanofuk
It's not bashing. It's just an incredible contrast. Ten years here and his highest draft pick was Magloire at 19. That's amazing when you consider how many games he won.

What Cal is doing is unprecedented. We all need to absorb the moment because this streak can't last forever.

Reactions: Sithlyone
I think this thread is a testament to Cal's recruiting and his philosophy. Many here either criticize or at the very least wish he wouldn't say the things he does regarding getting kids to the league and what is most important. But the truth is, IT WORKS!

If there was one thing that we can say Cal is better at than his predecessors is that he knows how to recruit and sell. And getting better talent will always produce more lottery picks. I'm Not saying he can't coach. But when you have to coach players to do what others do naturally you don't always get the desired results. That is why Pitino and Tubby produced mediocre result.

If there was one thing that we can say Cal is better at than his predecessors is that he knows how to recruit and sell. And getting better talent will always produce more lottery picks. I'm Not saying he can't coach. But when you have to coach players to do what others do naturally you don't always get the desired results. That is why Pitino and Tubby produced mediocre result.

Sure hope you're talking about draft picks only because those 2 coaches have 3 National Title between them. Nothing mediocre about it. This is become a Tubby bash thread bc the OP made it one comparing draft picks. Not to rain on anyone's parade but Cal also makes any coach look silly in that dept over the past six years.

It's not bashing. It's just an incredible contrast. Ten years here and his highest draft pick was Magloire at 19. That's amazing when you consider how many games he won.
Its also amazing that Tubby had 5 players that were starters in NBA in the same year. But what is more amazing to me is the fact that he has as many championships as Calipari.

Sure hope you're talking about draft picks only because those 2 coaches have 3 National Title between them. Nothing mediocre about it. This is become a Tubby bash thread bc the OP made it one comparing draft picks. Not to rain on anyone's parade but Cal also makes any coach look silly in that dept over the past six years.
Of course I'm talking about draft picks. ..that's what this thread is discussing. I never bashed any coach.

Its also amazing that Tubby had 5 players that were starters in NBA in the same year. But what is more amazing to me is the fact that he has as many championships as Calipari.

Do you see my board name? I love Tubby. I loved having such a classy man going around the country representing my team. I loved hearing the stories from people who met him and him taking the time to say hi to them and take pictures, etc.

It's just mind boggling that we went 10 years with no one drafted higher than 18th. And Pitino's production was better, but not that much better than Tubby's.

The most amazing thing to me is that in those 10 years I never even thought about the fact that we had no one drafted higher than 18th. I didn't consider how hard it made it on Tubby in recruiting.

Having Tubby was like having oars in the water. We still got there, it just took hard work. Having Cal is like having an outboard motor.

ADVERTISEMENT