• Sleeping bag
  • Axe
  • Knife
  • 12×12 ground sheet
  • 550 paracord – 20m
  • Small gauge gill net
  • Water bottle/canteen
  • Leatherman multi tool
Gill net or fishing equipment is the hardest choice to me.

Apparently the contestant named Dustin confirmed that in addition to the 10 items they were given another 12x12 tarp and bear spray.
They have referenced a few times that they were able to select from a list of 40 items...wish I could see that list. If I counted correctly there were 20 different items chosen.
I think I'd choose...
  • Ferro rod
  • Large 2 quart pot
  • sleeping bag
  • Axe
  • Knife
  • 550 paracord - 20m
  • 12x12 ground sheet
  • 300 yards of single filament fishing line with 25 assorted hooks
  • Bow and 6 arrows
  • saw
I think you could find a bottle that was washed up on the shore line.
Whether to take an axe and saw or just one of the two and take the bivi bag would be my hardest choice. You don't want to get wet and you especially don't want your sleeping bag to get wet...and you're in a frickin rain forest!

With the amount of rain they are dealing with and having everything soaked I would take all the tarps I could pick as having a safe and comfortable camp is everything. If you can get food after that then you are set for the long haul. My first construction on the first day would have been a wooden lean to up against something solid and use tarps, moss, and leaves to make it as waterproof as I could. Then a wooden door of just a few logs tied together to close it off. No way from the very first day would I have accepted sleeping with just a tarp between me and bears/lions/wolves.

Apparently the emergency rations item was 5 lbs of food. That would have been a tempting choice.

Alright...next show is tonight. Who's your call for the next one to puss out?
I'm picking Lucas...what say you?

Alright...next show is tonight. Who's your call for the next one to puss out?
I'm picking Lucas...what say you?
Brant is my pick.

Lucas wasted a ton of energy in cutting those huge trees down but he should be insane enough to last a little longer than this.

Brant is my pick.

Lucas wasted a ton of energy in cutting those huge trees down but he should be insane enough to last a little longer than this.
Could be a good call. My next 3 are Lucas, Brant and Mitch in some order...last 2 will be Alan and Chris.

I'd choose:

1. Ferro Rod -obvious
2. Lg. 2qt. pot -boiling water, cooking food, etc.
3. Sleeping bag -as long as you can keep it dry, it should keep you plenty warm
4. 12x12 ground sheet -anything to help you stay dry
5. Extra tarp -See above, and to also help dry/keep dry firewood
6. Ax -multi-use tool, self defense
7. Knife -multi-use tool, self defense
8. Fishing line and hooks -It's probably easier to catch fish than kill animals there
9. 550 Paracord -shelter construction, tool construction, trap construction
10. Emergency rations -I get hungry

The only one I went back and forth on was the emergency rations v/s something else to secure food with. I figured if finding food proved to be a huge challenge, the rations would at least buy me some time to figure it out. The last things I'd take would be the sling shot, the multi-tool, or the bow.

If I had a do-over on my picks now that I know emergency rations are 5 lbs of food I would work in the rations plus add a saw. If you could use that food to get you by while you expended a lot of energy in making a solid structure to sleep safely in then you'd be way ahead of the game.

A good point is that everyone that has tapped out has done so after meeting a bear, wolf, or lion. All the guys we think are doing really well are the ones that haven't had the shit scared out of them yet so we don't know how they will react.

I really like Mitch but he had by far the worst location and had to spend like 2 days looking for water. He's way behind the others and I don't know if he will be able to get his act together. If he does I think he might be in the last group to tap. We'll see. I love this show.

Yeah, Brant didn't even have fire yet so he was an easy pick.

Next is going to be a lot tougher as I think everyone left can go 30 days unless a predator taps them out. Look for all the guys that are still in tent setups to go and then the 3 or so that have solid defensible structures to fight it out from there.

I still have Alan winning it all.

Also, I feel great about my picking a gill net over fishing gear. The fact that you can set the net and let it do work for you while you don't have to attend to it is a huge benefit over fishing hooks and lures. That gigantic salmon Mitch landed with his net was awesome but he was an idiot for going to check his net at night and an even bigger idiot for cooking in his tent. He was one of my finalist picks along with Alan but he's going to have every predator on the island in his camp after that dumb move. Already had a lion practically in his tent. I hope that doesn't tap him out in the next episode.

Last edited:
Yeah, Brant didn't even have fire yet so he was an easy pick.

Next is going to be a lot tougher as I think everyone left can go 30 days unless a predator taps them out. Look for all the guys that are still in tent setups to go and then the 3 or so that have solid defensible structures to fight it out from there.

I still have Alan winning it all.

Also, I feel great about my picking a gill net over fishing gear. The fact that you can set the net and let it do work for you while you don't have to attend to it is a huge benefit over fishing hooks and lures. That gigantic salmon Mitch landed with his net was awesome but he was an idiot for going to check his net at night and an even bigger idiot for cooking in his tent. He was one of my finalist picks along with Alan but he's going to have every predator on the island in his camp after that dumb move. Already had a lion practically in his tent. I hope that doesn't tap him out in the next episode.
I couldn't believe that Mitch went out and checked his net in the dark...but then to bring his catch back to camp, clean and cook it there...what a dumb thing to do. I'd have a spot no closer than 100 yards from camp to do those things.

The only issue I have with the net is I can see it being easily lost and/or destroyed. Have a bear come check your net and I can imagine several bad outcomes.

True, but I'd take the net over the fishing gear all day long. I can set the net and then go and work on things then come back and hopefully have dinner waiting. I would set it at low tide then come back the next low tide. I wouldn't leave it for the bears to rip up if I could help it.

If Mitch doesn't build a cooking camp he is not going to survive the bears and lions.

True, but I'd take the net over the fishing gear all day long. I can set the net and then go and work on things then come back and hopefully have dinner waiting. I would set it at low tide then come back the next low tide. I wouldn't leave it for the bears to rip up if I could help it.

If Mitch doesn't build a cooking camp he is not going to survive the bears and lions.
I grew up on the Mississippi River and as kids we would set out fishing lines...essentially throw lines that we would tie off to trees and bushes. Might string up and bait 5 or so hooks on a line. We'd come back hours later and more times than not we'd have a catch. Not sure if that method would work there or not...but that's what I'd try.

I grew up on the Mississippi River and as kids we would set out fishing lines...essentially throw lines that we would tie off to trees and bushes. Might string up and bait 5 or so hooks on a line. We'd come back hours later and more times than not we'd have a catch. Not sure if that method would work there or not...but that's what I'd try.

Yep, for my money, the fishing line and hooks would be more versatile. With 300 yards of fishing line, you could make your own net if you really felt you needed one. Would also allow you to tie off lines in multiple locations.

Well so far the only fish landed has been with the net and it was on the 1st try and it landed a gigantic salmon. We'll see how this plays out.

The net is less woek as well. Bad stuff going at night, but that was the only time the tide was going to be low enough.

The cougar outside the camp was a bit unnerving.

I like Mitch so I hope that cat prowling around his smelly fish doesn't tap him out in the next episode. His family looked really poor and I bet that 500gs would be sweet to bring home to his wife and kid.

I wish these dudes would stop with the crying and the muttering about how the possibility of winning money isn't worth risking their lives. They knew the conditions they were being sent to. They shoulda known that only badasses need apply for this challenge. What a collect of babies. In their packs of 10 items they should have been given some extra tampons!

Reactions: akers65
It has only been 7 days and 6 people have dropped out. I understand the animal encounters pushing guys out, but the other ones, give me a break. They are acting like they have been away from civilization for ten years.

It has only been 7 days and 6 people have dropped out. I understand the animal encounters pushing guys out, but the other ones, give me a break. They are acting like they have been away from civilization for ten years.
Isolation is a cruel bitch. Add the fear and discomfort of the environment... Plus, I believe having to film yourself daily, talking to the camera actually intensifies the isolation and home sickness. It serves as a constant reminder that you are "away" and doesn't allow you to ignore it.

Reactions: akers65
This thread is probably more interesting than the show...I'm not sure if that is a compliment or not.

Show took a disappointing turn last night. I hope it's not a sign of things to come. I have no interest in seeing a bunch of bearded dudes crying about being homesick after being alone in the woods for 7 days. I get that it may be a lonesome experience, but I really don't give a shit.

I tune in to see people make houses and weapons out of sticks and rocks.

I agree bluelifer. Last night was the first time I tuned in and was disappointed with all the crying around. I'm taking from your post that's not been the case in past episodes?

I agree bluelifer. Last night was the first time I tuned in and was disappointed with all the crying around. I'm taking from your post that's not been the case in past episodes?

There's been a bit of it in the previous episodes, but last night it just seemed to be the theme of the show. Not sure if the guys just aren't shooting enough quality/usable footage, or the producers are trying to make it like every other reality show (likely).

Just started watching this show last week. Went back and watched all episodes. Might try for the next season.

Started this show 2 nights ago because of this thread and in already caught up.

Alan seems to be cracking just a bit which surprises me because he seemed to the one most mentally prepared after the first few episodes.

I think Allen, Mitch or Sam will win... Idk tho... Lucas impressed me with building a touching BOAT with his bare hands and only a freaking ax.... That was impressive.

As far as my favorite character? I like Mitch a lot.

Reactions: akers65 and Svarog
Thank you. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Did not know about bear's sense of smell though. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks again.

lol why would you thank him twice? For explaining about bear repellant ? It's obvious you are trying to cozy up to Bill.

"Thanks again" ;)

No Wayne at all last night? Didn't even reference him and didn't show him in the previews for next week? Very strange...

Alan is my winner as I think everyone sees that. BUT, if this were a contest to the death where they had to stay out there until they died then my money would be on Lucas. He is a tough little wiry dude.

Mitch loses his net so this very well may come down to Alan vs Lucas. Sam is a little too flaky.

Anyone else going to watch that Lost in Alaska show that premiers tonight? That looked rather interesting. Nearly 4000 people a year go missing in Alaska. Definitely a place not to go screwing around in unless you know what you're doing and even then a lot of them just vanish.

Show took a disappointing turn last night. I hope it's not a sign of things to come. I have no interest in seeing a bunch of bearded dudes crying about being homesick after being alone in the woods for 7 days. I get that it may be a lonesome experience, but I really don't give a shit.

I tune in to see people make houses and weapons out of sticks and rocks.

I haven't watched this weeks episode yet but I was starting to get the same feeling...as soon as they start with the videos of home I just hit the fast forward button...

Of all the things that a person would have to go through during this, the rain would be the thing that would drive me nuts the most....but it's a rain forest so...it's going to rain.

No Wayne at all last night? Didn't even reference him and didn't show him in the previews for next week? Very strange...

Alan is my winner as I think everyone sees that. BUT, if this were a contest to the death where they had to stay out there until they died then my money would be on Lucas. He is a tough little wiry dude.

Mitch loses his net so this very well may come down to Alan vs Lucas. Sam is a little too flaky.

Anyone else going to watch that Lost in Alaska show that premiers tonight? That looked rather interesting. Nearly 4000 people a year go missing in Alaska. Definitely a place not to go screwing around in unless you know what you're doing and even then a lot of them just vanish.
Wayne is gone. Mitch, Alan, Sam and Lucas are the only 4 left.

ADVERTISEMENT