ADVERTISEMENT

Alone TV show on History Channel

Lord_Crow

Blue Chip Prospect
Mar 25, 2015
I love this show. Anyone else watching it and who do you think is going to be the winner? I think it will be Alan unless missing his family messes up his head. He appears to be the best of the bunch IMO with already having a solid shelter, fire, water, and food. He has a nice routine going while most of the others are struggling and freaking out over the bears, wolves, and mountain lions.

All three episodes are available on The History Channel website along with the bios and background info:

http://www.history.com/shows/alone

I've been watching it too, Alan and the guy from Georgia seem to be the best suited to make it.
I think once the people start narrowing down it'll get even better.
I'd like to think I could scare off a Black bear and not panic, but the ones I've seen haven't been too big, plus I wasn't sure if he could see it or just hear it.

There have already been two black bear encounters that could very easily have been fatal. In both instances I think the black bears were exhibiting predatory behavior particularly the last instance where the black bear was stalking around the dude's tent in the dead of night. Very dangerous.

I wouldn't be afraid of the wolves or lions as the odds of a fatal attack by wolves is virtually zero and if you are a man over 6 ft 200 lbs then a mountain lion attack is also near zero... but the black bears particularly the size that they have been encountering would be very alarming.

When the guy saw the black bear across the river and hollered at it and it took a couple steps toward him, then looked to circle off to the side.... that also could very easily ended badly. When a black bear slings its head low and saunters towards you that is clear predatory behavior. Head and ears up and you are okay but once the head drops down you had better be ready to fight and not back down or especially not run away. The one guy that got rescued actually looked like he ran away in the dark which was to me an insane thing to do.

I forgot about the river, yea that one was definitely large and coming across the river toward him. I guess since apparently those bears don't have contact with humans they aren't scared. But generally black bears are too aggressive around people, I know that's gone up a little lately.
The Cougars would be what I worried about, not killing you but they could easily slip up on you.
I guess the biggest threat is staying dry, I know it's not real cold where they are, but 45-50 degrees and wet is miserable.

My girlfriend and I love the wilderness survivor shows. This is a good one. Was really awful that the kid that lost his flint had to tap out last show.

Surprised the show producers didn't allow the 10 guys at least a hand gun to defend themselves against the bears. Telling them to say "Hey Bear!" to make the bear go away isn't working too well.

My girlfriend and I love the wilderness survivor shows. This is a good one. Was really awful that the kid that lost his flint had to tap out last show.

Surprised the show producers didn't allow the 10 guys at least a hand gun to defend themselves against the bears. Telling them to say "Hey Bear!" to make the bear go away isn't working too well.

If not a gun possibly bear repellant, I guess they were trying to be as realistic as possible.

They all have bear repellent but none have been carrying it. I would feel pretty safe with an ax, a knife, and bear repellent (which they all have been equipped with) but if you are out and about and run into one and you aren't carrying anything (which seems to keep happening to them) then it does you no good.

That said, my respect for the contestants on Naked and Afraid has went up a little. They don't get anywhere near the equipment these guys get but manage to do 21 days in some pretty damned tough spots.

As for Terminator, the previews look lame but we actually set out to go see it yesterday but the place was overwhelmed. Probably see it tomorrow and I'll do my usual review of it in the Paddock.

Reactions: Bill Derington
I didn't know they had repellant. Seems like packing that at all times would be a no brainer to me, of course I'm only catching minutes in their whole day.

I haven't watched the naked in Africa may have to check it out.
I enjoyed the last Alaskans too.

Oh yes, The Last Alaskans is fantastic. Beautifully shot. ANWR is certainly stunning in its raw beauty and those folks are so lucky to be the last that will be allowed to own a cabin and live there. That refuge is actually the size of South Carolina:

ANWR-Alaska.gif

I didn't realize those were the last 7 homesteads there until the last episode, that's amazing.

It is beautiful, I was surprised there were as many trees. I just always assumed it was an arctic vast land.

Yep, the last 7. And when their children are gone no cabins will remain. That beauty is pristine. I am very jealous of those folks. It seems like such a clean and beautiful way to live.

I would like to go up there, not sure I'd want to live there. I guess some go back to town in the summer to work.

Alaska is a young man's state. If you are not already skilled in hunting, trapping, carpentry, and small engine repair I don't think it would be easy to make it. Probably get killed. Apparently a whole lot of folks go up there and get themselves killed. I think I'll just continue to be jealous from afar as I am too old now. I think I could manage a cruise ship trip to Denali, though..

I've been watching it too, Alan and the guy from Georgia seem to be the best suited to make it.
I think once the people start narrowing down it'll get even better.
I'd like to think I could scare off a Black bear and not panic, but the ones I've seen haven't been too big, plus I wasn't sure if he could see it or just hear it.
I agree, this is the guy who will win.
The guy that tapped out this week who lost his fire steel...IMHO he was looking for a way out. If he wanted to stay he would have spent much more time searching for something that he claimed to lose in a pretty well defined area. Would not be the least surprised if that wasn't staged.

I wouldn't be afraid of the wolves or lions as the odds of a fatal attack by wolves is virtually zero and if you are a man over 6 ft 200 lbs then a mountain lion attack is also near zero...
I'd have to disagree with this take pretty strongly. More than likely you're not going to hear or see an attacking mountain lion/cougar until it's on your back. Bears don't stalk their prey...you're going to know it's there and at least have a fighting chance by either backing off or finding a weapon even if it is just a stick.

What's with the guy who cut all the timber and then is giving up on the site because of the clay??? Good gawd...build your shelter and either find clay elsewhere or form a new plan. No way I'd let all that work go to waste.

I love this show and Naked and Afraid...my wife keeps telling me I should try to get on...lol. My biggest issue would be going barefoot. My feet are as tender as a baby's bottom. Can't wait for Naked and Afraid XL!

I agree, this is the guy who will win.
The guy that tapped out this week who lost his fire steel...IMHO he was looking for a way out. If he wanted to stay he would have spent much more time searching for something that he claimed to lose in a pretty well defined area. Would not be the least surprised if that wasn't staged.

I'd have to disagree with this take pretty strongly. More than likely you're not going to hear or see an attacking mountain lion/cougar until it's on your back. Bears don't stalk their prey...you're going to know it's there and at least have a fighting chance by either backing off or finding a weapon even if it is just a stick.

What's with the guy who cut all the timber and then is giving up on the site because of the clay??? Good gawd...build your shelter and either find clay elsewhere or form a new plan. No way I'd let all that work go to waste.

I love this show and Naked and Afraid...my wife keeps telling me I should try to get on...lol. My biggest issue would be going barefoot. My feet are as tender as a baby's bottom. Can't wait for Naked and Afraid XL!

Love that show as well. Do you know what the deal is with the new season? Judging by the advertisements, it seems different maybe?

Love that show as well. Do you know what the deal is with the new season? Judging by the advertisements, it seems different maybe?
If you are referring to NaA XL....it will be 40 days and there are I think 12 people...all or most are prior contestants.

Oh no, wasn't calling out spelling or anything, serious question. What exactly is it?

I think it's like pepper spray. Bears have a very strong nose, better than the best hounds. It may just be something that shocks their sense of smell.

I think it's like pepper spray. Bears have a very strong nose, better than the best hounds. It may just be something that shocks their sense of smell.

Thank you. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Did not know about bear's sense of smell though. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks again.

There have already been two black bear encounters that could very easily have been fatal. In both instances I think the black bears were exhibiting predatory behavior particularly the last instance where the black bear was stalking around the dude's tent in the dead of night. Very dangerous.

I wouldn't be afraid of the wolves or lions as the odds of a fatal attack by wolves is virtually zero and if you are a man over 6 ft 200 lbs then a mountain lion attack is also near zero... but the black bears particularly the size that they have been encountering would be very alarming.

When the guy saw the black bear across the river and hollered at it and it took a couple steps toward him, then looked to circle off to the side.... that also could very easily ended badly. When a black bear slings its head low and saunters towards you that is clear predatory behavior. Head and ears up and you are okay but once the head drops down you had better be ready to fight and not back down or especially not run away. The one guy that got rescued actually looked like he ran away in the dark which was to me an insane thing to do.

if you are a man over 6 ft 200 lbs then a mountain lion attack is also near zero.

Uh no....

if you are a man over 6 ft 200 lbs then a mountain lion attack is also near zero.

Uh no....
Yeah, they've been known to take down 700lb Elk...
The cats in that area have been known to get up to 200lbs themselves.

I think what they have is pepper spray.
Wouldn't be the smell that shocks them...it would be the effect it would have on their eyes and nasal passages.

I have hiked all over Southern California solo in prime mountain lion territory. I am 6'2 and 230lbs. You are more likely to drown in your bathtub than be attacked by a mountain lion. If you are male over 6ft tall and 200lbs it would be unprecedented for you to be attacked and killed by a mountain lion. They are very wary of humans and only small children and women might tempt them into attacking unless you are a small male or bending over making yourself look small and inviting like an easy kill. You are better off worrying about tripping over your own shoe laces and breaking your neck than probably even seeing one when you are hiking. If a mountain lion does attack then it is going to probably be a a young one only around 110 lbs or so. Much too small to think about attacking a large male human. They will attack and kill even the largest dogs without hesitation. Leave your husky at home as lions love to kill dogs.

Uh no....
Oh Really... please produce a list of all fatalities in North America involving a man over 6' 200lbs being attacked and killed by a mountain lion? Or, even attacked by a mountain lion.

Then compare that to women and children then report back your results. Thanks.

They all are issued a hard camera suitcase with trail cams to film their campsite and multiple hand held cameras. Basically the same setup as Survivorman.

They all have a sat-phone to tap out which 4 of 10 have done already within the first 4 days. Mostly due to bears, wolves, and lions.

I love the show. Anyone that wants to get caught up and watch the first 3 episodes can do so at the History Channel link I posted up at the top. After that the new episodes come on Thursday night at 10pm then are put on the website shortly after that.

Last edited:
Thank you. That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Did not know about bear's sense of smell though. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks again.

Here are some tidbits on a bear's sense of smell:

Although the region of the brain devoted to the sense of smell is average in size, the area of nasal mucous membrane in a bear's head is one hundred times larger than in a human's. This gives a bear a sense of smell that is 7 times greater than a bloodhound's. In addition, they have an organ called a Jacobson's organ, in the roof of the mouth, that further enhances their sense of smell.
Here are some accounts of how truly well a bear can smell:

"A black bear in California was once seen to travel upwind three miles in a straight line to
reach the carcass of a dead deer."

". . . male polar bears march in a straight line, over the tops of pressure ridges of uplifted ice . . .
up to 40 miles to reach a prey animal they have detected."

"A bear has been known to detect a human scent more than fourteen hours after the person passed along the trail."

"A male can detect which way a breeding female is traveling just by sniffing her tracks."

Quotes are from The Great Bear Almanac by Gary Brown

Reactions: SosaUK
The guy that lost his fire starter did it on purpose for a reason to get out. He chucked that basted into the ocean when he turned his camera off so he could get the hell out of there.

The last guy that tapped out after being charged by a bear was legit. He was rightfully scared. Still not sure why they didn't give them a small firearm?

Being in middle of the woods alone at night can be unnerving. I've done a lot of solo backpacking and even in established areas (nothing as remote as what they are in) there can be some long nights.

I agree, he lost the starter on purpose hoping to save face for quitting.
No wonder he did it. I think that bear that didn't back down from across the river would have been terrifying. Not only that, but of all the bears that have been encountered so far that was the only one I saw exhibit clear predatory behavior in slinging its head low then circling the guy. The others may have been curios but that one had him on the dinner menu. So he walked back to his camp, slung that fire starter into the ocean, then tapped out.

The Last Alaskans was great last night. Not sure if Animal Planet has those available online but that is a fantastic show as well.

The guy that lost his fire starter did it on purpose for a reason to get out. He chucked that basted into the ocean when he turned his camera off so he could get the hell out of there.

The last guy that tapped out after being charged by a bear was legit. He was rightfully scared. Still not sure why they didn't give them a small firearm?

Being in middle of the woods alone at night can be unnerving. I've done a lot of solo backpacking and even in established areas (nothing as remote as what they are in) there can be some long nights.

They all had the option to bring a bow and 6 arrows... half of the contestants made that decision. Not a firearm but the next best thing.

Below are the items taken followed by the # of contestants who took that item.
300 yards of single filament line with 25 assorted hooks - 10
Ferro rod - 10
Large 2 quart pot - 10
Sleeping bag - 10
Axe - 10
Knife - 8
12×12 ground sheet - 6
550 paracord – 20m - 5
Saw - 5
Bow and 6 arrows - 5
Extra emergency rations - 4
Small gauge gill net - 4
Water bottle/canteen - 3
Bivi bag (gortex sleeping cover) - 2
Sharpening stone - 2
Slingshot - 2
3.5lb wire - 1
Extra Tarp - 1
Large knife - 1
Leatherman multi tool - 1

Nevermind. I missed your answer above.

Also, they clearly show bear spray and reference it in the show so everyone must have gotten it along with the cameras.

Last edited:
Here's what each contestant elected to carry from the choices above.

Josh
1. 12?12 ground sheet
2. 550 paracord ? 20m
3. Saw
4. Axe
5. Sleeping bag
6. Bivi bag (gortex sleeping bag cover)
7. Large 2-quart pot
8. Ferro rod
9. 300 yards of single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
10. Bow and 6 arrows

Dustin
1. 550 paracord ? 20m
2. Axe
3. Sleeping bag
4. Large 2-quart pot
5. Ferro rod
6. Water bottle/canteen
7. 300 yards of single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
8. Small gauge gill net
9. Slingshot
10. Knife

Alan
1. Saw
2. Axe
3. Sleeping bag
4. Large 2-quart pot
5. Ferro rod
6. Water bottle/canteen
7. 300 yards single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
8. Small gauge gill net
9. 3.5lb wire
10. Knife

Sam
1. 12?12 ground sheet tarp
2. Axe
3. Sleeping bag
4. Large 2-quart pot
5. Ferro rod
6. 300 yards of single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
7. Bow and 6 arrows
8. Slingshot
9. Extra emergency rations
10. Knife

Brant
2. 550 paracord ? 20m
3. Axe
4. Sleeping bag
5. Large 2-quart pot
6. Ferro rod
8. Bow and 6 arrows
10. Knife

Lucas
2. Saw
3. Axe
4. Sleeping bag
5. Large 2-quart pot
6. Ferro rod
8. Extra Tarp
10. Knife

Mitch
1. Axe
2. Sleeping bag
3. Bivi bag (gortex sleeping cover)
4. Large 2-quart pot
5. Ferro rod
6. 300 yards of single filament fishing line with 25 assorted hooks
7. Small gauge gill net
8. Bow and 6 arrows
9. Knife
10. Sharpening stone

Joe
1. 12x 12 tarp
2. 550 paracord ? 20m
3. Axe
4. Sleeping bag
5. Large 2-quart pot
6. Ferro rod
8. Small gauge gill net
10. Large knife

Wayne
1) 12?12 ground sheet
2)*550 paracord ? 20m
3) Saw
4) Axe
5) Sleeping bag
6) large 2 quart pot
7) Ferro rod
8 300 yards of single filament fishing line and 25 assorted hooks
9) knife
10) Leatherman multi tool

Chris
1. Saw
2. Axe
3. Sleeping bag
4. Ferro rod
5. Large 2 quart pot
6. Water bottle canteen
7. 300 yards of single filament fishing line with 25 assorted hooks
8. Bow and 6 arrows
9. Knife
10. Sharpening stone

My choices would have been:
  • Ferro rod
  • Large 2 quart pot
  • Sleeping bag
  • Axe
  • Knife
  • 12×12 ground sheet
  • 550 paracord – 20m
  • Small gauge gill net
  • Water bottle/canteen
  • Leatherman multi tool
Gill net or fishing equipment is the hardest choice to me.

Apparently the contestant named Dustin confirmed that in addition to the 10 items they were given another 12x12 tarp and bear spray.

ADVERTISEMENT