ADVERTISEMENT

All 50 states -- ranked 1-50

Jul 22, 2012
So I saw the article on yahoo... They ranked all 50 states on "their contributions to America, so think inventions, food/drink, somewhat productive famous people, unique physical beauty, etc." I figured they'd go the popular route... California, New York, Texas, Florida, etc. I opened it up to find, as a surprise that I don't agree with... FL is #50.

OK... taking a different path. I like it... started scrolling to find Kentucky all the way down at #3. Damn straight. Yet here's the write up, though:

"Things that are really important to Kentucky: making all the good bourbon, drinking all the good bourbon, drinking all of said good bourbon while wagering on horse races, eating open-faced sandwiches that are covered in an irresponsible amount of liquid cheese, making peace with sleazy basketball coaches you’d otherwise dislike because Ashley Judd needs something to root for, dammit. All things considered, Kentucky has it pretty figured out."

I bet Pat Forde strolled into that meeting. Turd.

All these dumb ass hipster, cultured, know it all's hate Florida. They're idiots. Florida freaking rocks in every way imaginable.

Interesting take on Kentucky. Let's see the 3 states I've lived in were 23rd, 10th, and 3rd. I'll take that. Of course the whole thing is just a couple of people's take. That leaves about 300 million other opinions.

What the hell's an open faced sandwich?

Hot Brown junior

Hot_Brown_Kurtz.jpg

35. KansasYou don’t become the largest producer of sunflowers by sitting on your butt. Or do you? Agriculture seems complicated.

[roll]

Reactions: jamo0001
All these dumb ass hipster, cultured, know it all's hate Florida. They're idiots. Florida freaking rocks in every way imaginable.

I lived there fifteen years and Florida sucks. If you love your house mildewing, bugs out the as$, high property tax and bad medical treatment; then Florida is your place.

Aside from being warm and having awesome Cuban food, Florida is pretty terrible, but it's absolutely better than Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi, which are terrible for the same reasons Florida is except without the food and coastline.

Indiana is the worst state I've ever been to though. It's not beautiful, there are no attractions, the weather is meh, it's just there.

Florida might not be #50 (North Dakota gets that prize), but it is certainly awful in many many ways. The rural areas are as bad if not worse than most of the South, the major cities not named "Tampa" are spectacularly awful, it's full of transient visitors and tourist traps and thus doesn't have a unique culture, and the weather plain sucks compared to most states with extensive shorelines.

I'd put it in the middle of the pack, if not the bottom quartile.

I lived there fifteen years and Florida sucks. If you love your house mildewing, bugs out the as$, high property tax and bad medical treatment; then Florida is your place.
Except from December through March when northerners -- especially those from Ohio, Michigan and New York -- can't drive their asses down there quickly enough. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Willy4UK
I live in Florida. Weather is great if you aren't a landscaper or outside grunt worker. No way I'd move out of this state. Orlando is a blast. 1 hour from two sides of the beach. Lots of different cities to visit that are drivable. Lots of stuff to do. But hey, the Jimmy Buffett white trash tropical lifestyle isn't for everyone.

Kentucky is a great state. I think it's funny that hipsters will pay thousands of extra $'s to go fly to Carrie an beaches that have the exact same climate as Florida and act like they are cooler for having done so. It's ridiculous. The only difference is the poor service workers are Hispanic instead of white.

Hipsters are all about doing things, going places, and eating things they believe no one else has ever done before. You could serve them a boiled asshole at a pristine waterfront bistro of Carrie an, and they would have a snapchat of them savoring that delicacy faster than you could say, "artisan."

Aside from being warm and having awesome Cuban food, Florida is pretty terrible, but it's absolutely better than Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi, which are terrible for the same reasons Florida is except without the food and coastline.

Indiana is the worst state I've ever been to though. It's not beautiful, there are no attractions, the weather is meh, it's just there.

And yet despite its awfulness Florida remains the most popular American vacation destination and retirement destination. Must not be too awful if the rest of America flocks there. The fact that the Disney theme parks are there along with a bunch of other major amusement parks right there around Orlando makes their contribution significant just based on that.

In that article, it seems heavy weight was given to availability of craft beers. So yes, it is apparent that this was a hipster driven ranking.

And yet despite its awfulness Florida remains the most popular American vacation destination and retirement destination. Must not be too awful if the rest of America flocks there. The fact that the Disney theme parks are there along with a bunch of other major amusement parks right there around Orlando makes their contribution significant just based on that.

In that article, it seems heavy weight was given to availability of craft beers. So yes, it is apparent that this was a hipster driven ranking.
+1

I'm also unsure how FL ranks so low on this list even when taking beer into account. Cigar City Brewing, based in Tampa, produces some highly rated beers. Bold City (Jacksonville) and Funky Buddha (Fort Lauderdale) hold their own.

Aside from the points you covered, North FL -- area between Gainesville on up to the Suwanee River -- is a semi-tropical paradise offering an incredible system of freshwater springs. St. Augustine, the oldest continuously occupied European-established settlement in the continental United States, screams history all over town.

No, just some idiot writer has it out for Florida, nothing more.

Reactions: Willy4UK
ADVERTISEMENT