ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Raised COA 34%...gotta keep up with Auburn and the rest of the SEC

Feb 19, 2003
It is Legal and I guess Coach Saban had a talk with the Alabama Financial Aid Office...

Alabama football coach Nick Saban has called cost of attendance a “nightmare” because of varying numbers by schools and concerns the figures could be fudged. He even suggested the NFL's salary cap could be a model to cap stipends for college players, missing the point that the Ed O'Bannon ruling won't allow such collusion and the NFL salary cap gets negotiated by a players union that doesn't exist in college sports.

Don't feel too bad for Saban, though. As it turns out, Alabama's cost of attendance stipends will rank among the leaders nationally at $5,386 for out-of-state players and $4,172 for in-state players, according to information the university provided to CBSSports.com.

This represents a 34-percent increase in Alabama's cost of attendance figure for out-of-state students from two years ago and a 14-percent increase for in-state students. In its 2013-14 NCAA financial report, Alabama listed the gap between its average scholarship and the full cost of attendance at $4,018 for out-of-state students and $3,664 for in-state students. Alabama did not provide its 2014-15 figures.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...nce-stipend-will-rank-among-highest-in-nation

The numbers aren't "set" by athletics but we've all seen how much influence athletics has on picking the number they want. This is gonna let a lot of non athletes get themselves into even bigger trouble with debt coming out of college. Hopefully the P5 will break the NCAA's back and we can get something better than this system put in place.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
The numbers aren't "set" by athletics but we've all seen how much influence athletics has on picking the number they want. This is gonna let a lot of non athletes get themselves into even bigger trouble with debt coming out of college. Hopefully the P5 will break the NCAA's back and we can get something better than this system put in place.

Oh I understand that...this is a HUGE can of worms...Seriously

It is Legal and I guess Coach Saban had a talk with the Alabama Financial Aid Office...

Alabama football coach Nick Saban has called cost of attendance a “nightmare” because of varying numbers by schools and concerns the figures could be fudged. He even suggested the NFL's salary cap could be a model to cap stipends for college players, missing the point that the Ed O'Bannon ruling won't allow such collusion and the NFL salary cap gets negotiated by a players union that doesn't exist in college sports.

Don't feel too bad for Saban, though. As it turns out, Alabama's cost of attendance stipends will rank among the leaders nationally at $5,386 for out-of-state players and $4,172 for in-state players, according to information the university provided to CBSSports.com.

This represents a 34-percent increase in Alabama's cost of attendance figure for out-of-state students from two years ago and a 14-percent increase for in-state students. In its 2013-14 NCAA financial report, Alabama listed the gap between its average scholarship and the full cost of attendance at $4,018 for out-of-state students and $3,664 for in-state students. Alabama did not provide its 2014-15 figures.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...nce-stipend-will-rank-among-highest-in-nation

This surprises you? The school that set the standard for cheating and the school who has been on probation more than any other school both residing in the same state, coincidence I guess. Programs who have fans who will actually shoot and kill each other over the outcome of their game? The guy who was responsible for getting Bama's last probation was found dead in a motel room with some much facial damage he couldn't be identified without fingerprints, was ruled an accident, tripped and hit his head, repeatly on a table it seemed. UT finished out the top 3 in the SEC, and I think they make up 3 of the top 5 in the country. AU used a flight to Atlanta and car rental back to Columbus in figuring their COA. Columbus is about 20 minute drive from AU, or less, turning a 5$ trip home into a 400$ trip home.

Not really just surprised they adjusted this quickly...my problem is student debt very well could rise-(yes Louisville is in the Top 5 Nationally in COA).

This surprises you? The school that set the standard for cheating and the school who has been on probation more than any other school both residing in the same state, coincidence I guess. Programs who have fans who will actually shoot and kill each other over the outcome of their game? The guy who was responsible for getting Bama's last probation was found dead in a motel room with some much facial damage he couldn't be identified without fingerprints, was ruled an accident, tripped and hit his head, repeatly on a table it seemed. UT finished out the top 3 in the SEC, and I think they make up 3 of the top 5 in the country. AU used a flight to Atlanta and car rental back to Columbus in figuring their COA. Columbus is about 20 minute drive from AU, or less, turning a 5$ trip home into a 400$ trip home.
Are all of your posts negative about Alabama? Holy overboard, Batman. Talk about beating a dead horse. No doubt that they're not 100% clean and have had problems, but geesh. It's interesting how you hardly post anything negative about UGA when their players/coaches make bad decisions and questionable statements. And I hate to break it to ya, UGA isn't clean either. Not even close. Literally lost count of the number of their players that have been arrested/suspended over the last few years, but yeah, let's sweep that under the rug. This will probably comes as a surprise to you, but their boosters offer money to recruits just like Auburn and Alabama's. Seriously, I'm a bit worried about your obsession with the Alabama program.

Maybe make another post about how it's "Christmas Day!" when Demetris Robertson, a former Alabama verbal, eventually winds up in Athens?

Last edited:
Reactions: footballfanatic77
Are all of your posts negative about Alabama? Holy overboard, Batman. Talk about beating a dead horse. No doubt that they're not 100% clean and have had problems, but geesh. It's interesting how you hardly post anything negative about UGA when their players/coaches make bad decisions and questionable statements. And I hate to break it to ya, UGA isn't clean either. Not even close. Literally lost count of the number of their players that have been arrested/suspended over the last few years, but yeah, let's sweep that under the rug. This will probably comes as a surprise to you, but their boosters offer money to recruits just like Auburn and Alabama's. Seriously, I'm a bit worried about your obsession with the Alabama program.

Maybe make another post about how it's "Christmas Day!" when Demetris Robertson, a former Alabama verbal, eventually winds up in Athens?

Yeah, Grumpy seems to be very grumpy about Alabama. I think he is probably just jealous of all the natty titles you guys win if it really is broken down.

Reactions: footballfanatic77

Where to start, lets start with arrest, how does zero sound to you, that's the number of arrest this off season, how many does Bama have? On to COA, UGA has one of the lowest COA in the SEC, in the beginning, Bama was at a reasonable amount, but after seeing what their fellow Alabama school was offering, alone with UT, what were your doubts of those 2 being at the top of the list were, Bama suddenly has a midstream adjustment to get more in line, not with the other 10 teams in the SEC, but the 2 offering the highest COA, who knew Alabama, one of the lowest income states per household in the country had the highest cost of living?

Now on to what our kid do, UGA kids smoke dope, get suspended and removed from school on 3rd failed drug test, of course a kid at Bama doesn't smoke dope right, they wait until that last game of eligibility runs our and celebrate right by smoking their first dope? The only sweeping under the rug is what kids do at Bama, funny thing is, I actually get inside info on Bama probably much more accurate than you, I am actually on first name basis with one of your current coaches who played for me, well actually he still calls me Coach. so there is nothing you can tell me about how Bama runs their program, that's true that is, I haven't already heard about.

While we are speaking of arrest, you were the one to bring up by the way, Bama brought a kid from JUCO who assaulted and robbed a Bama student, they also brought in a kid from JUCO who choked and punched his girlfriend while he was still under felony assault charges, one previously kicked out of Bama, the other out of UGA. So either all those DTs Bama has recruited over the last 3-4 years were bust, or Bama wants to enter the race for 2nd Chance U alone with their fellow state school for the title? I can name the last time Bama bought a player, it was in my lifetime, can you name a time UGA lost scholarships for buying a player, just because Bama was caught cheating doesn't mean everyone else is. What's really ironic about it Bama fans weren't upset with Bama for cheating, they were upset with Fulmer for turning them in?

As for where Robertson ends up, looks like Stanford is sitting pretty good, would be a good decision on his part to get a Stanford education in the process. Attending a school in his home state where his mother could visit him, you don't think that is something that might be attractive to him? Just because Bama has been CAUGHT buying players in recent years doesn't mean everyone is doing it like most Bama fans say, which I guess makes it ok in their eyes. But good to see you weren't one of those shot after a recent Bama loss and able to post on these message boards

Hard to argue with some of Grumpy's facts, I believe Georgia and UK are probably the two cleanest programs in the SEC at the present time, UK certainly since the latest probation fiasco. I was afraid Georgia was becoming a prep school for UL and Auburn for a while, but then they can afford to lose a lot of talent, like their two best RBs last year being replaced by an even better one.

Where to start, lets start with arrest, how does zero sound to you, that's the number of arrest this off season, how many does Bama have? On to COA, UGA has one of the lowest COA in the SEC, in the beginning, Bama was at a reasonable amount, but after seeing what their fellow Alabama school was offering, alone with UT, what were your doubts of those 2 being at the top of the list were, Bama suddenly has a midstream adjustment to get more in line, not with the other 10 teams in the SEC, but the 2 offering the highest COA, who knew Alabama, one of the lowest income states per household in the country had the highest cost of living?

Now on to what our kid do, UGA kids smoke dope, get suspended and removed from school on 3rd failed drug test, of course a kid at Bama doesn't smoke dope right, they wait until that last game of eligibility runs our and celebrate right by smoking their first dope? The only sweeping under the rug is what kids do at Bama, funny thing is, I actually get inside info on Bama probably much more accurate than you, I am actually on first name basis with one of your current coaches who played for me, well actually he still calls me Coach. so there is nothing you can tell me about how Bama runs their program, that's true that is, I haven't already heard about.

While we are speaking of arrest, you were the one to bring up by the way, Bama brought a kid from JUCO who assaulted and robbed a Bama student, they also brought in a kid from JUCO who choked and punched his girlfriend while he was still under felony assault charges, one previously kicked out of Bama, the other out of UGA. So either all those DTs Bama has recruited over the last 3-4 years were bust, or Bama wants to enter the race for 2nd Chance U alone with their fellow state school for the title? I can name the last time Bama bought a player, it was in my lifetime, can you name a time UGA lost scholarships for buying a player, just because Bama was caught cheating doesn't mean everyone else is. What's really ironic about it Bama fans weren't upset with Bama for cheating, they were upset with Fulmer for turning them in?

As for where Robertson ends up, looks like Stanford is sitting pretty good, would be a good decision on his part to get a Stanford education in the process. Attending a school in his home state where his mother could visit him, you don't think that is something that might be attractive to him? Just because Bama has been CAUGHT buying players in recent years doesn't mean everyone is doing it like most Bama fans say, which I guess makes it ok in their eyes. But good to see you weren't one of those shot after a recent Bama loss and able to post on these message boards

I said over the last few years, not just this offseason. I suggest you re-read my post, if you are able to. You act as if UGA is this program that can do no wrong. Hate to tell you, they're not clean. Their boosters offer money to recruits...in fact, for as often as you bring up Reuben Foster's mom being offered a job by Alabama's boosters (not disputing that), how about UGA's boosters doing the exact same thing? And not to mention the handout that they offered him to play alongside one of his best friend's and model-citizen, Tray Matthews. Remember Crowell? He shows up to UGA in 2011 and was all of a sudden driving a nice car. And those are just 2 examples. But nah, let's not mention that. It's UGA. Their boosters are squeaky clean compared to pretty much every other program in the country. I will admit that Richt is probably the classiest coach in the SEC. I like him. Think he's a great guy. But go read the dozens of articles that the AJC has published over the last few years detailing the number of players that have been arrested and suspended.

In no way have I said that Alabama's boosters are clean. They're not. Alabama's "bag men" probably rank 3rd or 4th in the SEC, behind Ole Miss, Auburn, and maybe Tennessee. I've also made no excuses about Saban giving Taylor and Pettway second chances. In fact, I was against both of those decisions, especially with Taylor, and I believe Saban should've been criticized...probably even more so than he was. And I never said I believe everyone else is cheating. Never. That's a flat out lie on your part. Please show me where I said that. And while we're talking about facts, it was one Alabama fan that shot another. Not fans. What happened was absolutely disgusting, but at least get the facts straight.

I'd venture to guess that about a quarter of your posts are about something related to Saban/Alabama. I mean, from afar, it feels like an unhealthy obsession. Whenever something questionable happens with a player in the Alabama program, you absolutely HAMMER them. And deservedly so. But more often than not, when it's a UGA player, or a controversial decision that Richt makes, you go easy on them, at least compared to someone from Alabama. Just be a little more objective, man. If you're a homer, that's fine. But just admit that you are.

When, not if Robertson commits to UGA, will you post another "It's Christmas Day!" thread like you did this past year?

I sort of defend bama on this one. If the NCAA doesn't fix this then every team will have to manipulate their numbers accordingly. It's up to the NCAA to act or expect everyone to start doing this.

I sort of defend bama on this one. If the NCAA doesn't fix this then every team will have to manipulate their numbers accordingly. It's up to the NCAA to act or expect everyone to start doing this.
Have to believe there will be so many complaints that the NCAA will have to do something.

Hard to argue with some of Grumpy's facts, I believe Georgia and UK are probably the two cleanest programs in the SEC at the present time, UK certainly since the latest probation fiasco. I was afraid Georgia was becoming a prep school for UL and Auburn for a while, but then they can afford to lose a lot of talent, like their two best RBs last year being replaced by an even better one.

Haven't Georgia players been arrested most in the SEC? I answer my own question: http://www.komu.com/news/mizzou-georgia-top-list-of-sec-student-athlete-arrests/

Actually there are more recent numbers available (they are still in the top 4 behind Tennessee, A&M, and Ole Miss):http://www.chatsports.com/ncaa/a/Ch...m-Had-The-Most-Players-Arrested-In-2014-18802

LOL

TU earned their new name of Thug U from me when the EIGHT football players assaulted the two individuals, kicking them while down into the hospital. NO ARRESTS for either case. And they STILL lead the SEC.

The difference is that Georgia's police do arrest them when warranted, AND the coaches kick them out----IF warranted.

Then UK goes a step further and kicks them out even if there are huge doubts about whether it is warranted or not, see Tubman's he say she say story where he wasn't indicted by the GJ.

A case that might not be over yet according to a story on TOS, although it references a story on TOS which I thouht was here, maybe it was Scout or????

LOL

TU earned their new name of Thug U from me when the EIGHT football players assaulted the two individuals, kicking them while down into the hospital. NO ARRESTS for either case. And they STILL lead the SEC.

The difference is that Georgia's police do arrest them when warranted, AND the coaches kick them out----IF warranted.

Then UK goes a step further and kicks them out even if there are huge doubts about whether it is warranted or not, see Tubman's he say she say story where he wasn't indicted by the GJ.

Looks like the same thing happens in Knoxville. Since, ya know, there were all those arrests and all...though I don't agree with kicking players out if there aren't actually charges filed against them or they are later acquitted/have charges dismissed.

Haven't Georgia players been arrested most in the SEC? I answer my own question: http://www.komu.com/news/mizzou-georgia-top-list-of-sec-student-athlete-arrests/

Actually there are more recent numbers available (they are still in the top 4 behind Tennessee, A&M, and Ole Miss):http://www.chatsports.com/ncaa/a/Ch...m-Had-The-Most-Players-Arrested-In-2014-18802

Kids get in to trouble everywhere. If you follow Georgia even passingly, you know the kids who get into the type of trouble at UGA that schools like UT hide and sweep under the rug get dismissed... and those who follow recruiting even passingly know those kids cycle back through at the likes of Bama, Louisville and that ilk. 105 guys a year, every school is gonna have discipline issues. Georgia handles theirs about as severely as anyone in the country.

Your link says Mizzou and UGA have 16 arrests. I'll let Grumpy fill in the info for UGA, but I'll tell you right now, it hasn't been that many years since a Mizzou RB raped a woman on campus who later committed suicide and Pinkel didn't even sit him for a half... UGA would probably dismiss a kid for doing 31 in a 25 haha!

Kids get in to trouble everywhere. If you follow Georgia even passingly, you know the kids who get into the type of trouble at UGA that schools like UT hide and sweep under the rug get dismissed... and those who follow recruiting even passingly know those kids cycle back through at the likes of Bama, Louisville and that ilk. 105 guys a year, every school is gonna have discipline issues. Georgia handles theirs about as severely as anyone in the country.

Your link says Mizzou and UGA have 16 arrests. I'll let Grumpy fill in the info for UGA, but I'll tell you right now, it hasn't been that many years since a Mizzou RB raped a woman on campus who later committed suicide and Pinkel didn't even sit him for a half... UGA would probably dismiss a kid for doing 31 in a 25 haha!

Since I know about it at UT and since you know about it at UT, I'm not sure I'm following on how they sweep it under the rug while Georgia does not. It happens all over the country. No school (including UK), SEC or otherwise, is immune from bad behavior. I think most of the coaches in the SEC currently handle misbehavior fairly well, especially in the East. Because it can happen anywhere all that I expect is that a coach suspend a player from all team activities until the situation is resolved, either through the courts or in whatever means is appropriate.

Since I know about it at UT and since you know about it at UT, I'm not sure I'm following on how they sweep it under the rug while Georgia does not. It happens all over the country. No school (including UK), SEC or otherwise, is immune from bad behavior. I think most of the coaches in the SEC currently handle misbehavior fairly well, especially in the East. Because it can happen anywhere all that I expect is that a coach suspend a player from all team activities until the situation is resolved, either through the courts or in whatever means is appropriate.

You got me, I don't know how they get away with it either, but you must have missed my post above, here is the pertinent part:

"TU earned their new name of Thug U from me when the EIGHT football players assaulted the two individuals, kicking them while down into the hospital. NO ARRESTS for either case. And they STILL lead the SEC."

What do they have to have, dead bodies? Maybe so, they had one in the dorm at UL and nothing came of it.

The surveillance tape wasn't picked up until the next morning by the OIC, and sonofagun, it was no good? Don't they teach you to do that the first thing in Cops 101? Noone saw anything, people are taken to the hospital after being kicked in the head WHILE DOWN and NO charges are filed? Dooley can't even figure out who was to blame? The two victims didn't sign any complaint, even the COP, when I was in our officials association doing football if someone struck you you were expelled from the association if you didn't press charges. and a cop says, oh that's ok, kick me again. No lawsuits, LOL. Nothing from the free admittance either.

Hard to believe that they can do it, but they did it and practically no one said a word. I still love to point it out at every occasion, probably the most disgusting incident of a coverup ever, thank you for bringing it up again.

You got me, I don't know how they get away with it either, but you must have missed my post above, here is the pertinent part:

"TU earned their new name of Thug U from me when the EIGHT football players assaulted the two individuals, kicking them while down into the hospital. NO ARRESTS for either case. And they STILL lead the SEC."

What do they have to have, dead bodies? Maybe so, they had one in the dorm at UL and nothing came of it.

The surveillance tape wasn't picked up until the next morning by the OIC, and sonofagun, it was no good? Don't they teach you to do that the first thing in Cops 101? Noone saw anything, people are taken to the hospital after being kicked in the head WHILE DOWN and NO charges are filed? Dooley can't even figure out who was to blame? The two victims didn't sign any complaint, even the COP, when I was in our officials association doing football if someone struck you you were expelled from the association if you didn't press charges. and a cop says, oh that's ok, kick me again. No lawsuits, LOL. Nothing from the free admittance either.

Hard to believe that they can do it, but they did it and practically no one said a word. I still love to point it out at every occasion, probably the most disgusting incident of a coverup ever, thank you for bringing it up again.

I've read basically the same exact post so many times from you that I could probably recite it from memory. At least you are consistent, that's more than I can say for some people on here. You always take the facts substantially out of context, but you do correctly point out that it was a terrible incident. I am absolutely not a Dooley fan in any way, shape or form, but I think he suspended everyone involved and then kicked the players off the team that he believed were responsible. I think Derek Dooley is the worst SEC coach of the last 30 years so if I'm wrong then that's just one more reason to hate him.

Wasn't that a former Alabama state trooper that poisoned the trees at Auburn? That should tell you the atmosphere in Alabama law enforcement concerning Alabama football players.

I've read basically the same exact post so many times from you that I could probably recite it from memory. At least you are consistent, that's more than I can say for some people on here. You always take the facts substantially out of context, but you do correctly point out that it was a terrible incident. I am absolutely not a Dooley fan in any way, shape or form, but I think he suspended everyone involved and then kicked the players off the team that he believed were responsible. I think Derek Dooley is the worst SEC coach of the last 30 years so if I'm wrong then that's just one more reason to hate him.

I read that there was ONE player suspended from the 50-0 cliffhanger against Tennessee Martin, the only player kicked off the team was Meyers (Myers?) that had been in trouble twice before and that didn't get in trouble for the brutal one sided assaults but for resisting arrest and striking an officer-----charges that I think were later dismissed.

Yeah, the only thing more brutal than the assaults was the punishment handed out to the players, LOL.

I read that there was ONE player suspended from the 50-0 cliffhanger against Tennessee Martin, the only player kicked off the team was Meyers (Myers?) that had been in trouble twice before and that didn't get in trouble for the brutal one sided assaults but for resisting arrest and striking an officer-----charges that I think were later dismissed.

Yeah, the only thing more brutal than the assaults was the punishment handed out to the players, LOL.

I think 4 players were suspended until the issue was resolved in one way or another with law enforcement and then one player was ultimately dismissed. But since that was 5 years ago with a coach no longer there, I can't remember all the details.

ADVERTISEMENT