ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama and Louisville opening 2018 in Orlando

That's true. Winning is what it's all about. If you guys become a winning program, I have little doubt that you could get Alabama to schedule you for one of these neutral site games as well. You definitely have the fan base that TV networks would get behind.

This post is embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for you.

This isn't suppose to be a shot at Louisville, but Alabama didn't agree to this because they think there is a chance they will lose. They fully expect Louisville to be a good team, but not a great team.

That said, its a great opportunity for Louisville. They have nothing to lose with this game. Even if they are dominated like some of you predict(I doubt that, but who knows. Its a long time away) it will just be thought of as Bama was suppose to win.

UT, after 4 straight losing seasons and struggling to get to 7 Ws last year, even got one of these things in '18. I can see UK getting say FSU in Atlanta in the next 5 years....IF they can win some games.

Despite losing seasons UT has been playing these types of games: Oregon, Oklahoma, VA Tech and GA Tech in the next couple of years. Nevertheless, I don't expect UK to be playing those types of OOC games anytime soon, I'd just be happy to see the SEC ban scheduling FCS teams and would rather UK play teams from areas where it could help the recruiting advantage. That's not New Mexico. For UK there are plenty of respectable OOC games that UK could likely win: Cincinnati, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, maybe WVU, Toledo, Bowling Green, etc. All teams are guilty of scheduling FCS teams. I don't know of anybody that enjoys watching their team beat up on an FCS opponent.

Last edited:
Win some games and UK will get a shot at this type of game.

A shot? We could schedule that type of game anytime we wanted..it's not like we're out there attempting to schedule big OOC games and we're getting shot down..there are a whole lot of traditional powers that would love to play an OOC game against a Kentucky team that they feel like they could beat relatively easily..you don't have to win games to schedule a tough OOC opponent

Really hope so.

Big OOC games like that bring a lot of excitement to the fans and recruits.

It brings nothing if you get your butt handed to you. If we would have done an elite team like ND or Ohio State in the last five years it would have been an empty stadium after the first quarter and you would have had to listen to the TV commentators talk about how bad Kentucky is as a football school, very bad PR. Its time for some wins, not stupid losses by teams who are still out of our league. We are getting there, and if we can hang on I think we are in for a great ride but you can't run before you can crawl. Stoops and staff are going to make this happen.

WHAT WILL ALABAMA DO?

SOMEBODY STOP THE CARNAGE! ALABAMA IS GETTING BTFO!

No joke, the parents of Orlando better watchout for Zipp.

I think UL is about on the same level a program as West Virginia, so not exactly a stretch for Bama to schedule this. Don't need to check Google Maps, but Orlando is probably closer drive from the Gump's campus than UL's, so they expect to have a demonstrative home field advantage for this "neutral site" contest.

But hey, I'm going to enjoy UL fan today wrapping themselves in UK's conference as a reason to be excited and proud.

Distance means nothing to a Bama fans, they will show up by the 1000's and it could look like a Bama
home game in the stands, especially for a season opener. UL will be lucking if it isn't 3/4 Bama fans.

A shot? We could schedule that type of game anytime we wanted..it's not like we're out there attempting to schedule big OOC games and we're getting shot down..there are a whole lot of traditional powers that would love to play an OOC game against a Kentucky team that they feel like they could beat relatively easily..you don't have to win games to schedule a tough OOC opponent

You don't understand this type of game. These are a ONE TIME made for TV thing. Bama-WVU, LSU -Wisconsin, etc last year. But you have to be a pretty good team to get these, in other words you have to win games.

Reactions: im2fast4u06
You don't understand this type of game. These are a ONE TIME made for TV thing. Bama-WVU, LSU -Wisconsin, etc last year. But you have to be a pretty good team to get these, in other words you have to win games.

Teams jump at the chance to play a game in a fertile recruiting area, Atlanta can basically pick who they want to play. Bama has played there 2-3 times in season opener and feel they have established a presence there. Its a guarantee sell out with them and they play a team who has a little reputation but presents little danger. They are going to play one soon in Texas too. The committee likes to get Auburn in too, lots of AU grads in Georgia and the Campus about an hour away.

8 or 9 teams close behind 'Bama? No doubt the SEC is top to bottom the toughest conference around but 'Bama is uniquely elite. Over the past 5 years they are 36-7 (84%) vs SEC opponents outscoring them by an average of almost 20 points/game.

As for the Cards chances to beat them, well, maybe in Fantasyland. [laughing]

Peace
You really want to do the math on Bamas OOC results vs the SEC results?? They have only lost 2 OOC games the past 7 years or so.....I'm sure they are running higher than 84%...

Teams jump at the chance to play a game in a fertile recruiting area, Atlanta can basically pick who they want to play. Bama has played there 2-3 times in season opener and feel they have established a presence there. Its a guarantee sell out with them and they play a team who has a little reputation but presents little danger. They are going to play one soon in Texas too. The committee likes to get Auburn in too, lots of AU grads in Georgia and the Campus about an hour away.

Another caveat is it gives the participating schools exposure in that area...Atlanta, Orlando and Dallas has a lot of Good HS Football Players

Playing a pretty good schedule this year I think we will be fine.
We have the fifth toughest schedule this season. Our conference schedule alone puts us in the top ten toughest schedules bout evey season regardless of our out of conference schedule.

Fact is, the team's considered elite right now (looserville is not one of them) that are considered a final four playoff team (or maybe a final eight team by 2018) have to beef up their out of conference schedule for the selection committee. You do that with teams that you hope will be a top 30 team or better.

But, as with college basketball these games are gona be made for tv and early in the season. Lose them, especially big and your basically eliminated from the play offs one, two, three weeks into the season.

The top teams are all gona schedule a couple of these games a season instead of the cream puffs to strengthen their strength of schedule to help with their case to the selection committee. Of course it will be vs P5 teams they feel can get them a win.

Another caveat is it gives the participating schools exposure in that area...Atlanta, Orlando and Dallas has a lot of Good HS Football Players

Are you a fan of the "any publicity is good publicity" club, I think this exposure could very well turn out to be bad exposure, like it has for most Bama opening opponents recently. Starting off 0-1 is never a good thing IMO.

I used to travel to Bloomington every other year. It's an easy drive and good seats are always available. I wish that Kentucky would renew this contest. Didn't Billy Jack play a gutsy game to end losing streak under Curry? He was running Curry's ancient veer offense that day if I remember correctly.

Are you a fan of the "any publicity is good publicity" club, I think this exposure could very well turn out to be bad exposure, like it has for most Bama opening opponents recently. Starting off 0-1 is never a good thing IMO.

So getting to play the Bell Cow of the SEC and in the Recruiting Hot Spot of Orlando, FL on National TV in a Kickoff Classic is Bad Exposure...uh no...Look West Virginia played Alabama last year in Dallas to a Competitive Game.

If we lose so what...it was expected and Alabama beaten much more prestigious programs than Louisville

Oh the story of the Cards fan fairytale life...if we lose oh well it was expected..i wish i had a dollar for everytime i have heard that from Card fan

Oh the story of the Cards fan fairytale life...if we lose oh well it was expected..i wish i had a dollar for everytime i have heard that from Card fan

We will be a Double Digit Underdog when we play Alabama in Orlando ...but for the last 3 Years going with a Overall Record of 32-7...Sugar Bowl win...Russell Athletic Bowl Win and playing but losing to a 10 Plus Win Georgia Team it is a Good Life for the Louisville Football Fan

Reactions: im2fast4u06
I wouldnt care if UL fan were at all realistic about there success in football and put it in perspective but they can't do that. CARD fans actually think they are national title talk worthy...very delusional

I wouldnt care if UL fan were at all realistic about there success in football and put it in perspective but they can't do that. CARD fans actually think they are national title talk worthy...very delusional

Uh...no we don't...but if you feel that way oh well..as for myself enjoying the wins and success over the past few years

Trust me i work with a bunch of them. THEY think UL could win SEC and they aren' t kidding. You may be able to compete in a bowl game hete and there with big boys but play georgia or LSU after 6 straight weeks with no bye and you will look up and be 2-6 in SEC like us

Trust me i work with a bunch of them. THEY think UL could win SEC and they aren' t kidding. You may be able to compete in a bowl game hete and there with big boys but play georgia or LSU after 6 straight weeks with no bye and you will look up and be 2-6 in SEC like us

1. That is just the people you work around....most UofL Fans I know expect to go 7-5 to 9-3 this year

2. That is a hypothetical question in regards to what Louisville Record would be in the SEC...We don't get the $31 Million a Year in SEC Money and we don't have the SEC Label in Recruiting..also hasn't a newbie like Missouri won THE SEC East the past 2 years.

Here is the thing. The SEC West did not do very well in Bowl games last year. LSU lost to Notre Dame (who Louisville beat), Ole Miss lost 42-3 to TCU, Mississippi State lost by 2 TDs to Georgia Tech (an ACC team by the way), Alabama lost to Ohio State, Auburn lost to Wisconsin, only A&M and Arkansas won their Bowl games.

Mississippi State got to #1 in the country last year by virtue of beating A&M, Auburn and LSU. Those were shown to be average teams by the end of the season.

Like I said, the SEC is the best conference. But playing Louisville playing Bama is no different than Louisville playing FSU. Louisville playing Clemson or Georgia Tech would be no different than Louisville playing Georgia. Remember Georgia Tech beat Georgia last season in Athens. Of course Georgia won big against Louisville but Georgia lost to UF who was an average team.

What is my point? There really isn't a lot of room for Kentucky fans to say to Louisville fans,"You'll see what it is like to have to play 8 or 9 games like that in the SEC." FSU recruits as well as any SEC team and Clemson isn't far behind and Louisville will be playing those teams every year because they are in the same division.

Last edited:
You are Louisville , insignificant to the rest of the country with the exception of Jefferson county. UL is not a factor on national football scene...never has been never will be.

Here is the thing. The SEC West did not do very well in Bowl games last year. LSU lost to Notre Dame (who Louisville beat), Ole Miss lost 42-3 to TCU, Mississippi State lost by 2 TDs to Georgia Tech (an ACC team by the way), Alabama lost to Ohio State, Auburn lost to Wisconsin, only A&M and Arkansas won their Bowl games.

Mississippi State got to #1 in the country last year by virtue of beating A&M, Auburn and LSU. Those were shown to be average teams by the end of the season.

Like I said, the SEC is the best conference. But playing Louisville playing Bama is no different than Louisville playing FSU. Louisville playing Clemson or Georgia Tech would be no different than Louisville playing Georgia. Remember Georgia Tech beat Georgia last season in Athens. Of course Georgia won big against Louisville but Georgia lost to UF who was an average team.

What is my point? There really isn't a lot of room for Kentucky fans to say to Louisville fans,"You'll see what it is like to have to play 8 or 9 games like that in the SEC." FSU recruits as well as any SEC team and Clemson isn't far behind and Louisville will be playing those teams every year because they are in the same division.

So one year defines the SEC? Okay.

You are Louisville , insignificant to the rest of the country with the exception of Jefferson county. UL is not a factor on national football scene...never has been never will be.

We maybe be "insignificant" but there is a Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Orange Bowl Trophy in the Schnellenberger Complex all done in the last 25 Years and the last 3 Years Finished the Season in Every Top 25 Rankings...UofL may not be anything but I am still enjoying the wins...

Delusional. Lost in all of this "SEC was overrated" talk was that the SEC still went 7-5 in bowl games. It's not like they pulled a Big 10 and had a losing record. The ACC has sucked ass in bowl games (and specifically the BCS / Playoff era) for years and years. So, no, your premise is wrong. It's a lot different playing an SEC schedule vs. an ACC schedule. Your best team (FSU) is elite. No doubt about it. Your second-best team (Clemson) is supposed to be elite, but they've been the SEC's doormat for their entire existence. Otherwise, you've got nothing. UGA owns Ga tech, so one win last year doesn't prove your point. MSU was probably a bit overrated, but I would like my chances on them against any ACC team after your top 3 last year.

Outside of FSU and Clemson, the ACC does not recruit at an elite level, while about 8-9 of the SEC teams do (and another 3-4 are recruiting at a top 25 level).

Reactions: WildcatofNati
Delusional. Lost in all of this "SEC was overrated" talk was that the SEC still went 7-5 in bowl games. It's not like they pulled a Big 10 and had a losing record. The ACC has sucked ass in bowl games (and specifically the BCS / Playoff era) for years and years. So, no, your premise is wrong. It's a lot different playing an SEC schedule vs. an ACC schedule. Your best team (FSU) is elite. No doubt about it. Your second-best team (Clemson) is supposed to be elite, but they've been the SEC's doormat for their entire existence. Otherwise, you've got nothing. UGA owns Ga tech, so one win last year doesn't prove your point. MSU was probably a bit overrated, but I would like my chances on them against any ACC team after your top 3 last year.

Outside of FSU and Clemson, the ACC does not recruit at an elite level, while about 8-9 of the SEC teams do (and another 3-4 are recruiting at a top 25 level).
You lost me when you said Clemson has been the SEC's doormat their entire existence. Clemson in the past 4 years has beaten Auburn, Georgia, LSU (in the Peach Bowl) and South Carolina.

Clemson would generally be a mid-level SEC team, and that's pretty good. Florida State would generally be right up there with the higher SEC teams. Miami at one point would have been but no more; same can be said for Va. Tech, though, in their case, even when they were good, they would be more of a .500 SEC team. The rest of the ACC would, at best, be on the level of a typical Mississippi team and, more realistically, compete with UK and Vanderbilt to avoid the cellar.

I'll grant you that it's not going to easy for Louisville to play Florida St. and Clemson every year; as a matter of fact, they'll generally go 0-2 against those two teams. That's two really good opponents, and occasionally there will be another, against the six or seven monsters in the yearly gauntlet faced by UK.

You lost me when you said Clemson has been the SEC's doormat their entire existence. Clemson in the past 4 years has beaten Auburn, Georgia, LSU (in the Peach Bowl) and South Carolina.

Entire existence = entire existence, not the last four years. They have a losing record against every SEC team against South Carolina and now South Carolina mostly owns them (last year broke a 5-game losing streak).

That's true. Winning is what it's all about. If you guys become a winning program, I have little doubt that you could get Alabama to schedule you for one of these neutral site games as well. You definitely have the fan base that TV networks would get behind.
Look at this petcocks user name, how old do you think he is?

Clemson would generally be a mid-level SEC team, and that's pretty good. Florida State would generally be right up there with the higher SEC teams. Miami at one point would have been but no more; same can be said for Va. Tech, though, in their case, even when they were good, they would be more of a .500 SEC team. The rest of the ACC would, at best, be on the level of a typical Mississippi team and, more realistically, compete with UK and Vanderbilt to avoid the cellar.

I'll grant you that it's not going to easy for Louisville to play Florida St. and Clemson every year; as a matter of fact, they'll generally go 0-2 against those two teams. That's two really good opponents, and occasionally there will be another, against the six or seven monsters in the yearly gauntlet faced by UK.

Very True. Even FSU would suffer greatly. This is why Bobby Bowden didn't want to join, he knew he would have a very hard time ever winning a title coming out of the SEC. Va Tech was mostly a myth, as they've never really beaten many good teams. They made their reputation in the big east where they didn't play anyone.

Schwump is correct. These one off early games are sorta like a regular season bowl game (i.e., underwritten by a city and corporate sponsor). Basically the gate is divided with participants receiving a guarantee based on selling "X" number of tickets. Tickets are bowl game prices. So obviously you need fan bases that will travel and usually there is a regional "lean" to at least one participant (e.g., SEC team in Atlanta; BIG XII-II team in Dallas, etc.).

There is no TV revenue in play as the game is telecast under prevailing regular season contracts. A key is a big community sponsor (e.g., Chick-Fil-A) underwriting a nice sponsorship. This neutral site "model" allows you to play a big OOC game, collect a very decent payout AND not have to give up a home game in the future as you would in a H & H. It is at least revenue neutral with a H & H series.

Cards are doing a similar game with Purdue in Indy in 2017 (let's see how that one works; PU has been awful of late) and 'Bama in Orlando in 2018. 'Bama is in HUGE demand for these games and may never open at home again! [winking]

Peace

Schwump is correct. These one off early games are sorta like a regular season bowl game (i.e., underwritten by a city and corporate sponsor). Basically the gate is divided with participants receiving a guarantee based on selling "X" number of tickets. Tickets are bowl game prices. So obviously you need fan bases that will travel and usually there is a regional "lean" to at least one participant (e.g., SEC team in Atlanta; BIG XII-II team in Dallas, etc.).

There is no TV revenue in play as the game is telecast under prevailing regular season contracts. A key is a big community sponsor (e.g., Chick-Fil-A) underwriting a nice sponsorship. This neutral site "model" allows you to play a big OOC game, collect a very decent payout AND not have to give up a home game in the future as you would in a H & H. It is at least revenue neutral with a H & H series.

Cards are doing a similar game with Purdue in Indy in 2017 (let's see how that one works; PU has been awful of late) and 'Bama in Orlando in 2018. 'Bama is in HUGE demand for these games and may never open at home again! [winking]

Peace

Love the fact that from 2017 through 2019 Louisville is guaranteed to play 10 P5 Opponents during the Regular Season

Reactions: Turnerville

i do think the sec was overrated last year but i think it was because of overall bad qb play and not overall talent. lsu for example could of won the title if they'd of had a qb... but they didn't so they stunk it up every once in a while. bama was atrocious at qb and it led to teams just stacking the box to stop the run and dare dude to beat them.

cant remember the early games a lot but seems like lsu and wisc was close but lsu was killing those guys in the secondary. state played someone on the road and was laying big hits and penalized for hits that are common in the sec. there is a size and power difference. clemson had a couple teams that were physical enough to play with the sec but it seems like i remember dabo saying after that auburn game a few years back that it took his team a few weeks to recover physically... and auburn finished 3rd in the west that year.

bowl games are 1 off chances and anyone can sellout and win that 1 game... we beat #1 lsu in '07 and they looked dang near unbeatable after that. we beat fsu and clemson in bowl games this last decade too but we were still bottom 3 in the sec.... a bottom half team isn't gonna beat bama or uga or aub on most years but a bottom 3 team is beating upper tier acc teams every so often... see the difference?

i do think the sec was overrated last year but i think it was because of overall bad qb play and not overall talent. lsu for example could of won the title if they'd of had a qb... but they didn't so they stunk it up every once in a while. bama was atrocious at qb and it led to teams just stacking the box to stop the run and dare dude to beat them.

cant remember the early games a lot but seems like lsu and wisc was close but lsu was killing those guys in the secondary. state played someone on the road and was laying big hits and penalized for hits that are common in the sec. there is a size and power difference. clemson had a couple teams that were physical enough to play with the sec but it seems like i remember dabo saying after that auburn game a few years back that it took his team a few weeks to recover physically... and auburn finished 3rd in the west that year.

bowl games are 1 off chances and anyone can sellout and win that 1 game... we beat #1 lsu in '07 and they looked dang near unbeatable after that. we beat fsu and clemson in bowl games this last decade too but we were still bottom 3 in the sec.... a bottom half team isn't gonna beat bama or uga or aub on most years but a bottom 3 team is beating upper tier acc teams every so often... see the difference?
I'll give you that the SEC has better bottom to middle teams than the ACC has. What I am talking about are the top teams. Clemson, FSU and Georgia Tech would all be among the elite SEC teams this year. Georgia Tech had been down in previous years but last year they beat Georgia and Mississippi State. Where the SEC is better is I think teams like Arkansas and Tennessee are better than teams like NC State or Boston College. I also think teams like Kentucky and Vanderbilt are much better than Virginia or Wake Forest. But among the top teams of the SEC and the top teams in the ACC there really isn't much difference in my opinion. The NFL Draft is a testament to that. The SEC had 54 players drafted this year while the ACC had 47 players drafted.

ADVERTISEMENT