ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron and Dakari's first summer league game stats

I've always thought if Nazr Muhammed could make it in the league as long as he has, certainly there is a place for Dakari to do something similar.

Nazr, at whatever age he is now, would eat Dakari's lunch. Nazr is/was a skilled, physical(not overly so but tough enough) big man, with a high BB IQ. None of those words describe Dakari. Kid is a post player who plays below the rim, isn't skilled on either end of the floor, lacks physicality, and has, at best, an average BB IQ. Being 7 foot is the only bankable attribute he has as a BB player. Love the kid, but it's true.

Since when is speaking truthfully, or giving our opinions on them "negative" this would be quite the different thread if we were talking about KAT, or john wall, Eric Bledsoe.... Or any of the other huge complimentary threads we've had about our players.

Dakari and (both) Harrison's will struggle in the NBA. It's not "hating" to recognize and discuss that. They are marginal NBA talents. Apparently NBA GM's agree about the Harrison's, which is why one of as drafted in the 2nd round and the other went completely undrafted. That's just the way it is bud, point blank period lol.

I'm not disagreeing with the odds they are not clear-cut NBA talents, and will take work to have a long career.

What I find disgusting, is after 1 summer league game, everyone is piling on them as POS players who suck now and will forever suck. Both these guys gave their heart and soul to this program, I'd expect more from "fans"...a simple "decent first summer league game, really hope they make it" would suffice....I read more respectful feedback on the UL board.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBUK
I'm not disagreeing with the odds they are not clear-cut NBA talents, and will take work to have a long career.

What I find disgusting, is after 1 summer league game, everyone is piling on them as POS players who suck now and will forever suck. Both these guys gave their heart and soul to this program, I'd expect more from "fans"...a simple "decent first summer league game, really hope they make it" would suffice....I read more respectful feedback on the UL board.

Well, I don't see anyone saying they "suck" or "will forever suck" can you quote those posts for me? I can't seem to find them? Weird...

And its not just 1 summer league game, the same people have been saying this over the course of the past year. More respectful feedback on the UL board? that seems like a ridiculous thing to say. How often are you visiting the UL board? I am sure there is a UL fan or 2 sprinkled in that give our players credit but it is far from normal. IN fact, the UL board is filled with hate and jealousy of anything having to do with our program. Can you link the "more respectful feedback" that you are claiming? in regards to Dakari and the Harrisons? I would love to see it...or did you just say this stuff hoping no one would press you for the information? ;)

Reactions: CUT-NETS
Well, I don't see anyone saying they "suck" or "will forever suck" can you quote those posts for me? I can't seem to find them? Weird...

And its not just 1 summer league game, the same people have been saying this over the course of the past year. More respectful feedback on the UL board? that seems like a ridiculous thing to say. How often are you visiting the UL board? I am sure there is a UL fan or 2 sprinkled in that give our players credit but it is far from normal. IN fact, the UL board is filled with hate and jealousy of anything having to do with our program. Can you link the "more respectful feedback" that you are claiming? in regards to Dakari and the Harrisons? I would love to see it...or did you just say this stuff hoping no one would press you for the information? ;)

I wish you'd fight against the other teams fan base and other teams players as hard as you do UK fans and players on this board. jmo

Last edited:

Oh, so people bashing them for 2 years vs. 1 game...you are right it's much worse than I thought.

If you don't see it, you are part of the problem as are those "same people".

Funny, I don't see anyone posting about Aaron's 2nd game where he played great...or I guess you have your 1 game sample to make a judgement on it.

The fact is, and it's a sick fact...that a lot of people on here are hoping these guys fail so they can say "told you so, they should have stayed here so I could spend more time complaining about them." And it won't take much the questioning hasn't stopped since the minute they declared.

Nazr, at whatever age he is now, would eat Dakari's lunch. Nazr is/was a skilled, physical(not overly so but tough enough) big man, with a high BB IQ. None of those words describe Dakari. Kid is a post player who plays below the rim, isn't skilled on either end of the floor, lacks physicality, and has, at best, an average BB IQ. Being 7 foot is the only bankable attribute he has as a BB player. Love the kid, but it's true.
So Oklahoma City Thunder, an organization worth over a quarter billion dollars, drafts a 7'0 un-athletic, un-skilled, average b-ball IQ, below the rim player as their 2nd overall pick in the draft?

So Oklahoma City Thunder, an organization worth over a quarter billion dollars, drafts a 7'0 un-athletic, un-skilled, average b-ball IQ, below the rim player as their 2nd overall pick in the draft?

I mean, he is an unathletic, unskilled, below the rim big. Lol theres no denying that.

They used a 2nd round pick on him. Non-guaranteed deal. With their roster already being 15-man deep, they really don't have much use for him. They can drop him today & not even care tbh.

Jabbar he is not but I still am expecting Dakari to play in the nba and not be too shabby. Call it a hunch.

I mean, he is an unathletic, unskilled, below the rim big. Lol theres no denying that.

They used a 2nd round pick on him. Non-guaranteed deal. With their roster already being 15-man deep, they really don't have much use for him. They can drop him today & not even care tbh.
All draft picks are valuable regardless of the round. Do you think Billy Donovan wants to waste a pick on someone who he thinks won't be of any value to the team?

Oh, so people bashing them for 2 years vs. 1 game...you are right it's much worse than I thought.

Funny, I don't see anyone posting about Aaron's 2nd game where he played great...or I guess you have your 1 game sample to make a judgement on it.

The fact is, and it's a sick fact...that a lot of people on here are hoping these guys fail so they can say "told you so, they should have stayed here so I could spend more time complaining about them." And it won't take much the questioning hasn't stopped since the minute they declared.

So... Links or nah?

All draft picks are valuable regardless of the round. Do you think Billy Donovan wants to waste a pick on someone who he thinks won't be of any value to the team?

I don't want to devalue picks, but considering the the situation OKC is in with their roster already being deep + young, a player like Dakari won't give them much headache if he doesn't amount to anything. ( OKC front court : Kanter. Ibaka. Steven Adams. Mitch McGary. Nick Collision)

If you're watching him play right now, you'd see he looks terrible out there against NBA athletes.

Reactions: .S&C.

My God, you are sick if this is how you think of what people are saying. I've read post after post in many threads about the Twins. The only people who are the problem, are the ones that take 5 sentences from 3 people and assign it to the fan base. There aren't "lots of people" on this board who hope they fail. Some think they won't be successful NBA players, deal with it and get over it. One went undrafted and the other nearly went undrafted. It's not a stretch at all to think they won't make it.

I don't want to devalue picks, but considering the the situation OKC is in with their roster already being deep + young, a player like Dakari won't give them much headache if he doesn't amount to anything. ( OKC front court : Kanter. Ibaka. Steven Adams. Mitch McGary. Nick Collision)

If you're watching him play right now, you'd see he looks terrible out there against NBA athletes.
I watched him play. Looked pretty good on a pick and roll that resulted in an athletic move for a dunk. Greg Anthony praised him. The key to Dakari is potential. He has a nice upside. Probably will spend a lot of time in the D league but with OKC's roster, it will give Dakari time to develop his game. Donovan likes him.

I wish you'd fight against the other teams fan base and other teams players as hard as you do UK fans and players on this board. jmo

The problem there is you almost have to become a typing Zombie to agree on this board these days. There are literally about 5 posters who are daily attempting to deter and shut down conversations. It's like this current political climate, express an opinion about something UK related that doesn't toe a blue tinted line, and you're branded by these few as haters, trolls, etc. I don't lay down to it, but it does have an effect on the majority. It makes people shy from their own opinions.

I actually consider a few of them good people and friends but they really do try and set the table for all discussion. You can find them in any thread where it's not completely sunshine roses 24/7. Just question Calipari in any form and they will come in.

I fight other teams fans as hard as anyone. Find me in a Kansas discussion and you'll see that. But sometimes I'd like to have a rational conversation with my fellow UK fans and I get sick and tired of the handful of wanna be moderators and thought police attacking at will making conversations very difficult around here. They could just chose to stay out of the thread all together. I wonder why they don't?

I watched him play. Looked pretty good on a pick and roll that resulted in an athletic move for a dunk. Greg Anthony praised him. The key to Dakari is potential. He has a nice upside. Probably will spend a lot of time in the D league but with OKC's roster, it will give Dakari time to develop his game. Donovan likes him.

Guess we seeing two different things. Guy just looked overmatched out there.

Wheres the upside on a big that has zero athleticism & notable skills?

Guess we seeing two different things. Guy just looked overmatched out there.

Wheres the upside on a big that has zero athleticism & notable skills?
Yeah, we do see things differently. I see Dakari from the same lens that Donovan sees him:

Having previously coached at Florida, Oklahoma City Thunder head coach Billy Donovan is very familiar with former Kentucky Wildcat Dakari Johnson.

After watching him play numerous times, Donovan believes that Johnson still has a lot of untapped potential.

“Dakari is somebody who, still being young, still has a chance to grow and develop and get better,” Donovan said during an introductory press conference on Saturday. “I think a frontcourt player of his ability offensively, as he continues to grow on the defensive end, I think he’s got a very, very bright future.”

So, you'll have to forgive me for taking the word of an accomplished 2 time NCAA Championship and current NBA Head Coach over anonymous message board, self- anointed experts.

Yeah, we do see things differently. I see Dakari from the same lens that Donovan sees him:

Having previously coached at Florida, Oklahoma City Thunder head coach Billy Donovan is very familiar with former Kentucky Wildcat Dakari Johnson.

After watching him play numerous times, Donovan believes that Johnson still has a lot of untapped potential.

“Dakari is somebody who, still being young, still has a chance to grow and develop and get better,” Donovan said during an introductory press conference on Saturday. “I think a frontcourt player of his ability offensively, as he continues to grow on the defensive end, I think he’s got a very, very bright future.”

So, you'll have to forgive me for taking the word of an accomplished 2 time NCAA Championship and current NBA Head Coach over anonymous message board, self- anointed experts.

Lol Billy has no choice but to speak highly if him. The front office made the pick, not him.

This time, speak for yourself. Most of us have seen Dakari play for 2 seasons, and unless somebody is blind, his flaws are so glaring its become obvious he's not a NBA level player.

Lol Billy has no choice but to speak highly if him. The front office made the pick, not him.

This time, speak for yourself. Most of us have seen Dakari play for 2 seasons, and unless somebody is blind, his flaws are so glaring its become obvious he's not a NBA level player.
He just got drafted, Einstein. So clearly, no, it's not obvious to everyone, including some professionals who get paid to scout players for a living.

DUH

Reactions: anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y

Maybe not at the moment but that's the point. Dakari has plenty of room to develop into an NBA player. Stop projecting yourself as a super scout, talent evaluator. Leave that to the pros.

Yeah he has no shot, nobody NBA big has ever came in the league, have things to improve, and get better because they have 5 times more time to work at it because they are not in school anymore. Never. Dakari has his work cut out for him, some people take a little longer to improve, Nazi when I watched him on the JV team in Owensboro, he could not walk and chew gum at the same time, but he busted his ass, lost weight. Actually Dakari needs the same, he was labeled as a guy who wasn't fully motivated and put extra work in. He has to now.

What exactly do you guys think he can develop into?

-He can't finish around the cup because he's a stiff.
-Below average touch and zero range on his shot.
-Not a threat on the PnR because he can't move.
- Can't defend the PnR because he can't move

It doesn't take an NBA scout to notice this. OKC made a mistake selecting him and they probably don't even care. Like, Dakari will likely never see an NBA floor.

But yes, just label me a hater for pointing out the obvious.

What exactly do you guys think he can develop into?

-He can't finish around the cup because he's a stiff.
-Below average touch and zero range on his shot.
-Not a threat on the PnR because he can't move.
- Can't defend the PnR because he can't move

It doesn't take an NBA scout to notice this. OKC made a mistake selecting him and they probably don't even care. Like, Dakari will likely never see an NBA floor.

But yes, just label me a hater for pointing out the obvious.
Memphis Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace on Dakari Johnson: " He's gonna be in the NBA a long time".

http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/201...s-dakari-johnson-workout-gm-wallace-impressed

My God, you are sick if this is how you think of what people are saying. I've read post after post in many threads about the Twins. The only people who are the problem, are the ones that take 5 sentences from 3 people and assign it to the fan base. There aren't "lots of people" on this board who hope they fail. Some think they won't be successful NBA players, deal with it and get over it. One went undrafted and the other nearly went undrafted. It's not a stretch at all to think they won't make it.

THIS

I'd buy his comments if he actually drafted him. Pretty sure he passed on him twice on draft night.

So nobody wants to speak for themselves and say why they think Dakari will be an NBA player? Nobody has done that yet.

He's tall, and "like Nazr" lol.

Just like people say Booker is gonna be the next klay Thompson... Cause they are both light skinned African Americans.

That about sums it up.

He'd be the boards punching bag if he decided to attend Louisville.

This post is trash.

1. He went to UK.
2. Are you seriously inventing more ways to rip on our former players?

We get it. You don't like his pro chances. Just like you condescendingly mocked posters all year who dared to suggest that Andrew would be drafted.

Most of us here are just hoping he makes it.

You and a handful of others openly root against our players and former players because you want so desperately to be right about something.

What are your credentials, exactly? And I'm dead serious.

You hold yourself out as much more knowledgeable than the rest of this board. Did you scout for a pro team? Coach in college? Or are you just super smart at fantasy league?

I'd buy his comments if he actually drafted him. Pretty sure he passed on him twice on draft night.

So nobody wants to speak for themselves and say why they think Dakari will be an NBA player? Nobody has done that yet.
He was drafted. Ergo, somebody thinks he has a shot to make it in the NBA.

Everything beyond that is you proving what a jackass idiot you are.

Reactions: brianpoe
The problem there is you almost have to become a typing Zombie to agree on this board these days. There are literally about 5 posters who are daily attempting to deter and shut down conversations. It's like this current political climate, express an opinion about something UK related that doesn't toe a blue tinted line, and you're branded by these few as haters, trolls, etc. I don't lay down to it, but it does have an effect on the majority. It makes people shy from their own opinions.

I actually consider a few of them good people and friends but they really do try and set the table for all discussion. You can find them in any thread where it's not completely sunshine roses 24/7. Just question Calipari in any form and they will come in.

I fight other teams fans as hard as anyone. Find me in a Kansas discussion and you'll see that. But sometimes I'd like to have a rational conversation with my fellow UK fans and I get sick and tired of the handful of wanna be moderators and thought police attacking at will making conversations very difficult around here. They could just chose to stay out of the thread all together. I wonder why they don't?

I have no issue with you (Not that it matters.) You seem to go both ways (Just messing with you.) I can take that type poster. I don't have issue with discussing the good and bad about UK players.

Your counter part has about 80 posts or so. Everyone I've read has trashed UK players. (Yes he has; when you take the negatives out on any UK player and don't add the good things, it is trashing the player.

I also have an issue about something as little as an inch. Yep, I stated 7'1" the other guy or two or three stated 6'11" but I was the dumb one that was pulling stats out of thin air. Oh, then I posted not one but four or five links where Dakari was listed as 7' 0" (In this thread). As I see it that is an inch either way. Of course I never expected an apology but a little begging of pardons was in order but I never expected that either. I had already read the sources posts. This poster has a bad motive or the good would show sometimes.

You call him what you want but I do not call him a UK supporter, maybe just an athletic supporter.... Be Good

He just got drafted, Einstein. So clearly, no, it's not obvious to everyone, including some professionals who get paid to scout players for a living.

DUH

Being a 7 footer is that damn important. It's the most important trait a player could possess, really. Being that it is the only personal trait that actually increases your chances of playing in the NBA. Some players are drafted based hardly on anything else.

... while the probability of, say, an American between 6’6″ and 6’8″ being an NBA player today stands at a mere 0.07%, it’s a staggering 17% for someone 7 feet or taller - See more at: http://marginalrevolution.com/margi...ters-are-in-the-nba.html#sthash.fL7UqZxw.dpuf...

Last edited:
This post is trash.

1. He went to UK.

We get it. You don't like his pro chances. Just like you condescendingly mocked posters all year who dared to suggest that Andrew would be drafted.

You and a handful of others openly root against our players and former players because you want so desperately to be right about something.

You hold yourself out as much more knowledgeable than the rest of this board. Did you scout for a pro team? Coach in college? Or are you just super smart at fantasy league?

Lol no, I'm not " inventing" ways. Just pointing out the blue tinted glasses people here post with. People here rip our rivals prospects all the time, they would have a field day with Dakari & his embarrassing flaws.

Only time i went after people regarding Andrew was when they suggested he was a 1st round talent. He's another guy who's not an NBA talent in my eyes. Shame that Dakari & Andrew got drafted while Aaron didn't, when he's a better player than both.

Weird thing is, I root heavily for Andrew, Dakari and the rest of the former UK players i dislike as NBA prospects ( James Young for another example). I simply give my honest assessment on their games, NBA outlook, etc.

You know you're rustled when you start asking for credentials on a message board.

This post is trash.

1. He went to UK.

Oh hush. You are so dramatic lol.

He was drafted. Ergo, somebody thinks he has a shot to make it in the NBA.

Everything beyond that is you proving what a jackass idiot you are.

Look, another poster who can't breakdown Dakari's game and give me reasons why he'll make it or be a successful pro.

Lol no, I'm not " inventing" ways. Just pointing out the blue tinted glasses people here post with. People here rip our rivals prospects all the time, they would have a field day with Dakari & his embarrassing flaws.

Only time i went after people regarding Andrew was when they suggested he was a 1st round talent. He's another guy who's not an NBA talent in my eyes. Shame that Dakari & Andrew got drafted while Aaron didn't, when he's a better player than both.

Weird thing is, I root heavily for Andrew, Dakari and the rest of the former UK players i dislike as NBA prospects ( James Young for another example). I simply give my honest assessment on their games, NBA outlook, etc.

You know you're rustled when you start asking for credentials on a message board.

Pay him no attention. He's so dramatic and obviously very very rustled lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT