ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron and Dakari's first summer league game stats

I have no idea what the point of your response was. Would you rather I said that he doesn't have to be Wes Matthews? Maybe Danny Green?

I was saying he doesn't have to be the best shooter in the league (Korver) as long as he hustles and plays good D.

If he does those things then being an adequate shooter who can knock down the open look (Bogans) will suffice.

He isn't that yet. Hopefully he will be. Anything you want to pick apart with this post?

It's just a silly thing to say "he doesn't have to be Kyle Korver" basically you are comparing one of the best shooters in the NBA and making it seem "well Harrison doesn't have to be HIM to be successful" like all of us are ridiculous in our stance that he isn't a good shooter. Which he isn't. He's not Danny Green either... So another moot point.
He can't really create his own shot, and he's not overly athletic.

But you're right. Maybe if he can up his "hustle game" he will be making millions in the NBA lol.

Hey guys, let's all respond to this thread with negative comments on our players!!! Awesome!!!

Since when is speaking truthfully, or giving our opinions on them "negative" this would be quite the different thread if we were talking about KAT, or john wall, Eric Bledsoe.... Or any of the other huge complimentary threads we've had about our players.

Dakari and (both) Harrison's will struggle in the NBA. It's not "hating" to recognize and discuss that. They are marginal NBA talents. Apparently NBA GM's agree about the Harrison's, which is why one of as drafted in the 2nd round and the other went completely undrafted. That's just the way it is bud, point blank period lol.

It's just a silly thing to say "he doesn't have to be Kyle Korver" basically you are comparing one of the best shooters in the NBA and making it seem "well Harrison doesn't have to be HIM to be successful" like all of us are ridiculous in our stance that he isn't a good shooter. Which he isn't. He's not Danny Green either... So another moot point.
He can't really create his own shot, and he's not overly athletic.

But you're right. Maybe if he can up his "hustle game" he will be making millions in the NBA lol.

Actually, I am right, and you are simply being argumentative for no good reason.

He doesn't have to be the best shooter in the league, just a decent shooter who hustles and plays D.

Not that hard to follow. Sorry for your struggles.

Reactions: TommyDevito
Actually, I am right, and you are simply being argumentative for no good reason.

He doesn't have to be the best shooter in the league, just a decent shooter who hustles and plays D.

Not that hard to follow. Sorry for your struggles.

Again buddy, just because I have a different view point doesn't mean I am "being argumentative for no good reason" if someone disagrees with you, do you just write them off as "being argumentative for no good reason?" Lol.

Look buddy, I love Harrison- 2 final fours and a title game speak for themselves.

Come back to me when he doesn't make an NBA roster, or is in the D league and out of the league totally in 2 years. K? I doubt you will.

And calm down. This is just a discussion? I don't judge you dude or think any less of you because you have an opinion on a matter which will most likely be proven wrong. Heck, everyone is wrong sometimes :)

I've always thought if Nazr Muhammed could make it in the league as long as he has, certainly there is a place for Dakari to do something similar.

I always find it hilarious that just because both are seven feet tall and black, Johnson and Nazr are "similar players". They're nothing alike besides bad vertical jumps. Nazr had soft hands, good feet, a nice touch. Johnson has hands of stone, is clumsy, bad touch.

I always find it hilarious that just because both are seven feet tall and black, Johnson and Nazr are "similar players". They're nothing alike besides bad vertical jumps. Nazr had soft hands, good feet, a nice touch. Johnson has hands of stone, is clumsy, bad touch.

lol this. "Hey! Their both black and tall!

Semi racist thing to say in fact.
When people say this it makes me roll my eyes

Come back to me when he doesn't make an NBA roster, or is in the D league and out of the league totally in 2 years. K? I doubt you will.

I never understood the point in these types of responses. It's almost like you would be glad if the twins were to fail in the NBA just so you could tell everyone you were right on an Internet message board.

Reactions: BengalWACO and Aike
No 2 players are exactly alike, but Bogans is a valid comparison.

Did you know that Bogans only shot 31.7% from three his Junior year? He came back to shoot over 38% as a senior and found a place in the league.

For his career, Bogans shot the three around 35% in the NBA. Just respectable.

He stuck around because he played hard-nosed D and could shoot wide open. Which is the precise formula for Aaron to make it as well.

Oh I know, I also know that his worst season here as a cat was his Junior year. He was the #2 ranked recruit out of HS and he played really well his freshmen year and outstanding his soph year. Everybody was expecting him to leave after his soph year but he come back and he just simply fell on his face his Junior year but came back strong his Senior season.
But I'm not going to pic and choose which years he was good in trying to validate for somebody else.
His soph stats were 17 ppg 5 rb 2 assist 1 steal 36% from 3 and 47% from the floor. Not bad. Granted he prob played more minutes but it was also a plodding style.

I never understood the point in these types of responses. It's almost like you would be glad if the twins were to fail in the NBA just so you could tell everyone you were right on an Internet message board.

Smh. No, of course I wouldn't be happy. It's my OPINION (a strong one) that I think they will be in the D-league and or out of the NBA soon.

How much nicer can I say it? I've already expressed my gratitude for them as UK players. That I will always love them for the 2 finals fours and title game. That I respect them for being cats... But I don't think they are NBA material. At all. Why does that mean I wish they fail?

I loved Jared polson as well (obviously Harrison's are 1000% better) but would I be a hater in saying polson will not be successful in the NBA?

My brother in law is an incredible guitar player. Really good. But am I a hater for thinking he won't make it in the music business and make millions?

So basically , what you are saying is that In order to not be a "hater" I have to think the Harrison's wll be good NBA players and make millions. Even if I don't think that.... Do I have it right?

Reactions: CUT-NETS
Again buddy, just because I have a different view point doesn't mean I am "being argumentative for no good reason" if someone disagrees with you, do you just write them off as "being argumentative for no good reason?" Lol.

Look buddy, I love Harrison- 2 final fours and a title game speak for themselves.

And calm down. This is just a discussion? I don't judge you dude or think any less of you because you have an opinion on a matter which will most likely be proven wrong. Heck, everyone is wrong sometimes :)

You are a piece of work.

We are actually arguing over the fact that I said Aaron doesn't have to be Kyle Korver. We actually agree that he doesn't need to be Kyle Korver. You just don't like that I typed it.

Beyond that, I don't really know what your issue is. I believe that if Aaron can shoot a respectable percentage from three (35% at minimum), then hustling and playing hard-nosed D can keep him in the league. Do you disagree?

I never said Aaron will do this. I said it is the recipe for him to stick in the league.

I have no clue if he will ever shoot well enough to stay in the league. I hope he does, because I'm a UK fan, and I like the kid.

Guys like Keith Bogans and Jodie Meeks carved out solid, if somewhat unexpected careers. Darius Miller and Doron Lamb have each gotten a cup of coffee at this point.

All four of those guys were roughly in the same spot when they left school. Aaron, being undrafted, is a little behind those guys, but I hope he can get it straightened out.

And yes, I'll be here in 2 years whether he makes it or not. If he's in the league 2 years from now, I'll be happy for him. If he fails and it gives you pleasure to say, "I told you so" - well, that's on you.

Oh I know, I also know that his worst season here as a cat was his Junior year. He was the #2 ranked recruit out of HS and he played really well his freshmen year and outstanding his soph year. Everybody was expecting him to leave after his soph year but he come back and he just simply fell on his face his Junior year but came back strong his Senior season.
But I'm not going to pic and choose which years he was good in trying to validate for somebody else.
His soph stats were 17 ppg 5 rb 2 assist 1 steal 36% from 3 and 47% from the floor. Not bad. Granted he prob played more minutes but it was also a plodding style.

Aaron shot 36% from three as a freshman and 32% as a sophomore. His minutes were also reduced by 7 per game.

Despite this reduction in minutes, he actually attempted more threes as a Sophomore than as a Freshman.

I think Aaron suffered from trying to squeeze in all of his shots last year, instead of just going with the flow. Bogans did the same thing his Junior year, as if he was always trying to prove himself.

I have no clue if Aaron can duplicate Bogans' success. Just think it's an interesting parallel and hope Aaron figures it all out.

Smh. No, of course I wouldn't be happy. It's my OPINION (a strong one) that I think they will be in the D-league and or out of the NBA soon.

How much nicer can I say it? I've already expressed my gratitude for them as UK players. That I will always love them for the 2 finals fours and title game. That I respect them for being cats... But I don't think they are NBA material. At all. Why does that mean I wish they fail?

I loved Jared polson as well (obviously Harrison's are 1000% better) but would I be a hater in saying polson will not be successful in the NBA?

My brother in law is an incredible guitar player. Really good. But am I a hater for thinking he won't make it in the music business and make millions?

So basically , what you are saying is that In order to not be a "hater" I have to think the Harrison's wll be good NBA players and make millions. Even if I don't think that.... Do I have it right?

Man, I could care less what you think. We all have a right to our own opinion, whether that opinion is stupid or not is another discussion.

What I had a small problem with, was the whole "come back in 2 years to congratulate me for being right after the twins fail." You may very well be right about the twins, but why do fans of differing opinions need to come back to you in 2 years? What's the purpose? Is this a pissing match?

Not quite true. There's a place for his hustle and defense. But he needs to be able to spot up and hit the open three.

He doesn't have to be Kyle Korver to make it in the league. But he at least needs to be Keith Bogans.

I actually love the Harrison's, but if he needs to at least be Keith Bogans we might as well shut it down. No way. Never.

The but-hurt is always strong in these type threads..... I can remember way back in the 90's when we would simply root on former players to be successful in the league, rather than being a bunch of arm-chair coaches breaking down the many reasons they won't make it... or how stupid they where for leaving.

Whether they make it in the NBA or over seas, they will be doing what they want..... Getting paid good money to play a kids game.

I realize some of you don't mean to come across like sour old men, and you just "like to break down the players performance in an honest way", but it just kind of rubs me the wrong way, but whatever.... To each their own.

Go Big Blue, and I hope all our guys have long successful careers doing what they want..... and I'm sure all of you do too, sometimes its just honestly hard to tell.
P

So no debate. No dialogue. No discussion.

Why don't you just watch some UK games or look at some nice photos. Sports teams message boards are absolutely not for you.

But I do love the "anything but sunshine and thread locked" crowd. Thank god some of you aren't mods. This would be worse than the unc board.

I actually love the Harrison's, but if he needs to at least be Keith Bogans we might as well shut it down. No way. Never.

Which part? 6.3 ppg, 39% shooting from the field, or 35% shooting behind the arc? Astronomical numbers, I know. It would clearly take a heroic effort to put up similar numbers over an NBA career. The twins don't stand a chance to have a Bogans type career.

Reactions: Aike
Lol. What exactly do you see in him to make this statement?

He's so flawed, i honestly question if he'll ever make an NBA roster. OKC is already 15-man deep, so he;s headed right to the D-league once the season begins. I don't envision him playing well enough to warrant a call up in the future.

You cannot teach 7' 1" along with his maturity he has a work ethic he doesn't seem to know how to use yet but people mature differently. I bet he comes through. Call it a hunch if you want to but I wouldn't bet against Dakari. BLUF: I am expecting a light to come on that hasn't yet.

From when I saw him shoot, he shot a LOT better behind the arc when he was at near the NBA range....just my observation...

I see no one touched this post. It must make some sense. (It can't be dissected as easy...) Dakari was easier in this thread...

Speak for yourself. DJ will make his mark in the NBA. It will happen...

When I use the words 'I think', that is very indicative that I am speaking for myself.

If I had used the terms 'we think', or 'folks think', or 'the board thinks', that would be the indication that I am speaking for others.

I think Dakari has a decent future in the league. If I were him I'd be working on finishing through contact as much as possible, not sure how someone that big can miss so many easy layups.

When I use the words 'I think', that is very indicative that I am speaking for myself.

If I had used the terms 'we think', or 'folks think', or 'the board thinks', that would be the indication that I am speaking for others.

I know exactly what you said. You do too. Think about it...

Which part? 6.3 ppg, 39% shooting from the field, or 35% shooting behind the arc? Astronomical numbers, I know. It would clearly take a heroic effort to put up similar numbers over an NBA career. The twins don't stand a chance to have a Bogans type career.

Haha, exactly. The hyperbole is strong around here.

Reactions: Mike-D
You cannot teach 7' 1" along with his maturity he has a work ethic he doesn't seem to know how to use yet but people mature differently. I bet he comes through. Call it a hunch if you want to but I wouldn't bet against Dakari. BLUF: I am expecting a light to come on that hasn't yet.

He's 6"11, not 7"1.

He no doubt has maturity and works his but off, but he lacks so much athleticism and skill i doubt it really matters.

Yeah I dont think anyone has ever listed/said that he was 7'1" until you, pretty silly to just throw that out there.

Can't wait for Skal next year, cant teach 7'4"!

He's 6'11 not 7'1.... lol

Aaron would play for 12+ years if he had a reliable 3 point shot

his form should allow for it, he needs to shoot 500 threes a day

Whether they make it in the NBA or over seas, they will be doing what they want..... Getting paid good money to play a kids game.

They are doing what they want to do and getting paid, but it is a job which means they have to work at it. There's a draft every year and if a 2nd, or heck even a 1st round pick doesn't show the ability to improve at what he can do an NBA team can quickly give up on them, and waive them. I think both Lamb and Teague were 1st round picks, at least one was, and they both got waived by the teams they were on last year, and wound up in the D league. Still, there's always playing overseas which can be a pretty good gig if you can get on one of the upper echelon teams, but I imagine that's plenty competitive to. I suspect that's where both DJ and Aaron will end up. Perhaps even Andrew. The other 4 are almost certain to wind up playing fairly long.

He's 6'11 not 7'1.... lol

"DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Dakari Johnson, Stats ...
Jun 22, 2015 ... Dakari Johnson is a 19 year old 7 foot 0 inch 265lb C. He is currently ranked #45 in our Top 100 Prospects Rankings. He is currently ranked ... Read More »"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakari_Johnson

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3064516/dakari-Johnson

http://www.coachcal.com/2014-15-university-kentucky-wildcats-roster/

Sorry, yeah, I've never heard of him being in the 7 foot range.....sorry about that for being so dumb. I think I saw someone's thread a time or two mentioning 7'1" on this site more than once but I am surely mistaken. I was very sure of him being in the 7 foot range versus the 6'11" range but I was wrong. Please forgive me..

I should have made sure to ask the guru's on this site as they will surely correct me whether I'm wrong or not but I do thank you for that, both of you...

Be Good

Yeah I dont think anyone has ever listed/said that he was 7'1" until you, pretty silly to just throw that out there.

Can't wait for Skal next year, cant teach 7'4"!
\\\

I am ashamed. I could have swore he was in the 7 foot range please forgive me.

At the NBA combine Dakari was measured at 6'11" barefoot. So he is 6'11" One thing that stands out in his measurements is his 22.5" verticle which was the worst by any tested in the pre draft measurements.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dakari-Johnson-6470/

As far as cannot teach 7'1" it doesn't matter if someone is big or not, If they don't have it they don't have it. Otherwise Mike Williams would of been playing college ball somewhere and in the pros. He is the same size as Dakari but Dakari is a far better player. Orton is probably 6'9 and had insanely long arms so he is a big boy and he isn't playing on a pro team but is playing overseas. So size doesn't matter that much.
How could I forget Jared Carter he was around 7'2" and he isn't playing anywhere.

Bogans did things extremely well on the floor and found a roster for more Than a decade. Are you asking if I think Aaron can hit 36% from the three point line in the NBA? I hope so, but I highly doubt it.

Dakari coming back doesn't help his athleticism. But he could have added a lot to his offensive arsenal. He could have been more consistent on close shots. I think he's one that gains a bit by coming back.

At the NBA combine Dakari was measured at 6'11" barefoot. So he is 6'11" One thing that stands out in his measurements is his 22.5" verticle which was the worst by any tested in the pre draft measurements.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Dakari-Johnson-6470/

As far as cannot teach 7'1" it doesn't matter if someone is big or not, If they don't have it they don't have it. Otherwise Mike Williams would of been playing college ball somewhere and in the pros. He is the same size as Dakari but Dakari is a far better player. Orton is probably 6'9 and had insanely long arms so he is a big boy and he isn't playing on a pro team but is playing overseas. So size doesn't matter that much.
How could I forget Jared Carter he was around 7'2" and he isn't playing anywhere.
Pretty sure Billy Donovan knows a little bit more than you when it comes to evaluating players.

Having previously coached at Florida, Oklahoma City Thunder head coach Billy Donovan is very familiar with former Kentucky Wildcat Dakari Johnson.

After watching him play numerous times, Donovan believes that Johnson still has a lot of untapped potential.

“Dakari is somebody who, still being young, still has a chance to grow and develop and get better,” Donovan saidduring an introductory press conference on Saturday. “I think a frontcourt player of his ability offensively, as he continues to grow on the defensive end, I think he’s got a very, very bright future.”

General manager Sam Presti was equally impressed by Johnson and said that selecting him with the 48th pick was an easy decision.

“Where guys were projected for us, that was a really easy one,” Presti explained on Saturday. “He is a really, really great kid. He has a great disposition to him. He is a really smart guy. He is really efficient around the bucket and he rebounds the ball. His rebounding percentages were really good. He has played a role on a really good team and is a pretty tough-minded kid.”

Reactions: BBUK
Bogans did things extremely well on the floor and found a roster for more Than a decade. Are you asking if I think Aaron can hit 36% from the three point line in the NBA? I hope so, but I highly doubt it.

He didn't shoot well, we know that much. His 3 point percentage is decent though by NBA standards. I don't think we need a carbon copy of Bogans in order to come off the bench in the NBA. Aaron had 16 pts and 8 assists last night for Charlotte playing PG. Did you catch that? Not too shabby.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Pretty sure Billy Donovan knows a little bit more than you when it comes to evaluating players.

Having previously coached at Florida, Oklahoma City Thunder head coach Billy Donovan is very familiar with former Kentucky Wildcat Dakari Johnson.

After watching him play numerous times, Donovan believes that Johnson still has a lot of untapped potential.

“Dakari is somebody who, still being young, still has a chance to grow and develop and get better,” Donovan saidduring an introductory press conference on Saturday. “I think a frontcourt player of his ability offensively, as he continues to grow on the defensive end, I think he’s got a very, very bright future.”

General manager Sam Presti was equally impressed by Johnson and said that selecting him with the 48th pick was an easy decision.

“Where guys were projected for us, that was a really easy one,” Presti explained on Saturday. “He is a really, really great kid. He has a great disposition to him. He is a really smart guy. He is really efficient around the bucket and he rebounds the ball. His rebounding percentages were really good. He has played a role on a really good team and is a pretty tough-minded kid.”

Man, don't talk about a Cat in a good light. Geez, and Dakari was 6'11"...I messed up. I don't know basketball and can't read articles accurately because of it. Donovan couldn't make it in the NCAA and he will be washed up soon as an nba coach. Get your stories straight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT