ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron and Dakari's first summer league game stats

Dakari looked pretty bad out there. Typical blown layups and whiffed on a lot of rebounds. ( even if he finished wit 11)

Aaron started strong but drifted near the end.

Reactions: .S&C.
People have to realize that these are not super competitive games. These guys have not played together for more than a few games. These summer league games are just for rookies and guys that haven't made the league.

Dakari did not look very good at all. Aaron looked good in spurts. Still think Aaron will make a team. Dakari needs to really improve or he will be toiling in Developmental League.

Let's be honest. Both of those guys will be in the D League most of this year and maybe next, too. James Young was drafted 14th (?) and he spent at least half the year there.

Andrew with 6 points 2/3 with 3 assists. But 4 PF (Not that it matters in summer). 16 minutes.

Sadly, if Aaron isn't a shooter, he has nothing to offer the NBA.

Not quite true. There's a place for his hustle and defense. But he needs to be able to spot up and hit the open three.

He doesn't have to be Kyle Korver to make it in the league. But he at least needs to be Keith Bogans.

Both need to transform their games to even be in the league. Dakari is just a really big dude and their are a lot of really big guys out their. He needs to do something to show them he is valuable. Missing bunnies and not grabbing boards in your area will not be looked on kindly.
Aaron... well he isn't no Keith Bogans that is for sure, Bogans is much quicker than Aaron, shot the ball better and finished better.
After watching both I was shocked to why they were ranked so high Andrew included, I have stated as much on here many times. All of em are wonderful kids and I hope they make millions but being drafted in the 2nd round just means they give ya spot but you have no guarenteed money. They can just cut you loose tomorrow if they want.

I've always thought if Nazr Muhammed could make it in the league as long as he has, certainly there is a place for Dakari to do something similar.

I've always thought if Nazr Muhammed could make it in the league as long as he has, certainly there is a place for Dakari to do something similar.
You know, I feel like their styles are similar in a way, but Nazr just executed it better. He was a below the rim, banging type center. But he had some post moves that actually worked from time to time. They weren't terribly fancy, but it was enough to keep him around awhile. Dakari hasn't really developed that yet. Not saying he won't, but he'd better get a move on if he wants to have a long role player type career like Nazr.

Reactions: brianpoe
Both need to transform their games to even be in the league. Dakari is just a really big dude and their are a lot of really big guys out their. He needs to do something to show them he is valuable. Missing bunnies and not grabbing boards in your area will not be looked on kindly.
Aaron... well he isn't no Keith Bogans that is for sure, Bogans is much quicker than Aaron, shot the ball better and finished better.
After watching both I was shocked to why they were ranked so high Andrew included, I have stated as much on here many times. All of em are wonderful kids and I hope they make millions but being drafted in the 2nd round just means they give ya spot but you have no guarenteed money. They can just cut you loose tomorrow if they want.

No 2 players are exactly alike, but Bogans is a valid comparison.

Did you know that Bogans only shot 31.7% from three his Junior year? He came back to shoot over 38% as a senior and found a place in the league.

For his career, Bogans shot the three around 35% in the NBA. Just respectable.

He stuck around because he played hard-nosed D and could shoot wide open. Which is the precise formula for Aaron to make it as well.

I'M actually not so sure I wanted him back. Too many missed layups and has no speed or athleticism

Yeah, he would not have played anymore than he did this past year. No way in hell he starts over Skal and a healthy Poy. DJ could have been valuable for depth and a great bench option IF he could learn to score again and be a bully down low like late frosh year.

I'M actually not so sure I wanted him back. Too many missed layups and has no speed or athleticism

Yeah I considered the same thing, but I think in his Junior year he would have really taken that next step and improved his game. And we would've had great depth again. But I'm happy with Lee as our backup big anyways. It would just have been in his best interest to come back.

Well he shot 31% from three at the college level this past year...very unlikely he can match or top that in the NBA.

From when I saw him shoot, he shot a LOT better behind the arc when he was at near the NBA range....just my observation...

Speak for yourself. DJ will make his mark in the NBA. It will happen...

Lol. What exactly do you see in him to make this statement?

He's so flawed, i honestly question if he'll ever make an NBA roster. OKC is already 15-man deep, so he;s headed right to the D-league once the season begins. I don't envision him playing well enough to warrant a call up in the future.

The but-hurt is always strong in these type threads..... I can remember way back in the 90's when we would simply root on former players to be successful in the league, rather than being a bunch of arm-chair coaches breaking down the many reasons they won't make it... or how stupid they where for leaving.

Whether they make it in the NBA or over seas, they will be doing what they want..... Getting paid good money to play a kids game.

I realize some of you don't mean to come across like sour old men, and you just "like to break down the players performance in an honest way", but it just kind of rubs me the wrong way, but whatever.... To each their own.

Go Big Blue, and I hope all our guys have long successful careers doing what they want..... and I'm sure all of you do too, sometimes its just honestly hard to tell.

Dakari, you got drafted by a team with Steven Adams and Enes Kanter. Good luck my dude.

Not quite true. There's a place for his hustle and defense. But he needs to be able to spot up and hit the open three.

He doesn't have to be Kyle Korver to make it in the league. But he at least needs to be Keith Bogans.

Obviously he doesn't need to be Kyle korver... But he's not even in the same atmosphere. So saying that is a moot point.

He isn't a good shooter. He's not God awful I suppose... But he's just not a good shooter.

The but-hurt is always strong in these type threads..... I can remember way back in the 90's when we would simply root on former players to be successful in the league, rather than being a bunch of arm-chair coaches breaking down the many reasons they won't make it... or how stupid they where for leaving.

Whether they make it in the NBA or over seas, they will be doing what they want..... Getting paid good money to play a kids game.

I realize some of you don't mean to come across like sour old men, and you just "like to break down the players performance in an honest way", but it just kind of rubs me the wrong way, but whatever.... To each their own.

Go Big Blue, and I hope all our guys have long successful careers doing what they want..... and I'm sure all of you do too, sometimes its just honestly hard to tell.

Oh hush. We are just giving our opinions on 2 marginally (NBA wise) talented UK guys . Just because we recognize it doesn't mean we don't love them as UK players. I will always remember those guys as Cats. But they are also not NBA material. That much is pretty certain

Would have been great to have Dakari back. He was probably hoping to be one and done. So the second year was a bit of a bonus for us. I guess he was thinking he could sit on the bench in the NBA, get paid and learn the game. Or sit on the bench at UK. As much as I love Dakari, no way he is starting over Skal next year. IMHO

Also a quick question how many travelling calls were made against Dakari in the last 10 games? After the first few times it happened it almost seemed like the refs were anticipating the shuffle before the dribble.

Obviously he doesn't need to be Kyle korver... But he's not even in the same atmosphere. So saying that is a moot point.

He isn't a good shooter. He's not God awful I suppose... But he's just not a good shooter.

I have no idea what the point of your response was. Would you rather I said that he doesn't have to be Wes Matthews? Maybe Danny Green?

I was saying he doesn't have to be the best shooter in the league (Korver) as long as he hustles and plays good D.

If he does those things then being an adequate shooter who can knock down the open look (Bogans) will suffice.

He isn't that yet. Hopefully he will be. Anything you want to pick apart with this post?

Probably comical that either will be on a NBA roster this year. Best hope is some team thinks enough to give some guaranteed money so that they can afford to stay in D-league and develop some skills. If not go overseas. At the end of the day, if you don't really like school, are not making progress towards a degree w/ a good income potential, your ego won't allow it, or you just got some bad advice, go ahead and start making some money. Kids drop out of college every day and get a job. Not a tragedy.

Reactions: TommyDevito
Pretty typical UK fans' responses in this thread. After one summer league game "They haven't improved any...they are finished."

After watching both I was shocked to why they were ranked so high Andrew included, I have stated as much on here many times.

THIS is why it's absolutely idiotic when people assume player X or player Y is a "1-and-done talent" just because he was ranked highly out of high school. Where a player is ranked doesn't mean jack squat.

THIS is why it's absolutely idiotic when people assume player X or player Y is a "1-and-done talent" just because he was ranked highly out of high school. Where a player is ranked doesn't mean jack squat.

Pretty much. The twins were over-rated coming out of HS. They were still really good college players, though. They went to two Final-4's, and a title game in 2 years. That's pretty impressive. If they don't make it in the NBA , they'll get paid good somewhere else.

James Michael McAdoo improved more in one year playing mostly D League with some spot duty in NBA than he did at 3 years in UNC so really I'm not worried about how they are performing yet

Reactions: Bkocats

I don't think message boards are for you. If all you want is rah rah rah all the time, you should find a board that caters to your needs.

I'm all for hearing dissenting opinions as long as their civil without the immature and childish name calling and personal attacks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT