ADVERTISEMENT

A time to reflect on UK basketball and what being a fan means to me

grousehunter66

Freshman
Gold Member
Mar 27, 2009
Been a UK fan for as long as I can remember and have seen my own level of fandom go from a fanatic to a casual observer over that time. Cried when Rupp passed and cried when Joe B won in '78 and there were always those games that tore my heart out. Lots of joy and wonderful memories as well over the years. Was a time my whole outlook and mood depended on how the Cats were doing. Took a lot of grief from rival fans over the years as well when my Cats lost. It was all in good fun fun though. Then the internet came along and forum message boards became the norm. I went into it full bore and spent countless hours celebrating and arguing with fellow fans. Never took any of it personally though. That was then and this is now.

Now it seems there are no limits to the levels of nastiness and bitterness that is unacceptable to other fans. I have read where others wished harm and death to others simply because of a difference of opinion and having the ability to post behind a screen name without any type of accountability has made it worse in my opinion.

Not a big fan of the current coach or where the program is right now, but that is just my own personal opinion. Over the years, I have found myself just losing interest. Still pull for the Cats and watch when I can, but just don't get to emotional about it anymore and if I did, this would not be the place to share it.lol Took me a lot of years to reach this point, but maybe wisdom comes with age. Lost my mom a few weeks ago and dealing with an aged father who has dementia so bad he has not called me by name in over a year has made me hard of heart lately. I have come to the sad realization of just how miserable or pitiful I was based on the outcome of a game that I really had no invested interest in. Point is, life is short and I hope each and everyone here can enjoy it.

It is okay to be a fan and be disappointed with a loss or with a coach, but we can still be nice or respectful to one another. Opinions are simply what they are and each and everyone here has the right to their own. We can disagree with out being nasty to one another. At the end of the day, we each have to make our decision on how we respond to one another here and what we post.

Know I sound preachy and judgmental and I don't intend to be. I am not the best at expressing myself through writing, but I just want to share with others about what it has taken me a lifetime to learn. Don't be me, be better.

Thanks and hope and pray everyone here has a blessed day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News