ADVERTISEMENT

A question for all UK basketball fans.

Jul 4, 2015
Kentucky
Which memory do you have no (matter your age) did you not witness in your own life, but feel as though you did because of the stories passed down by your elder UK basketball fans?

I would have to say mine is the Christian Laettner 92' game, when I see that shot I feel as though I was old enough to remember "the shot", but I was only 3 when it happened. There is no way I remember that shot but from stories passed down I feel as though I have.

The '66 game and Goose Givens going off against Duke. I was alive for the second but don't remember it.

Reactions: TheKentuckyKid
My Dad talked about the Runts a lot... how they were such a great passing team, and sometimes the ball didn't even hit the floor from one end of the court to the other. He was on a job at Memorial once, while the Baron was running a practice session. Dad said none of the players said a word... just the sound of sneakers squeaking as they ran drills, while Rupp sat at a table at midcourt.

I've heard that tale so many times... I can almost hear the rubber on the hardwood.

Reactions: TheKentuckyKid
My Dad talked about the Runts a lot... how they were such a great passing team, and sometimes the ball didn't even hit the floor from one end of the court to the other. He was on a job at Memorial once, while the Baron was running a practice session. Dad said none of the players said a word... just the sound of sneakers squeaking as they ran drills, while Rupp sat at a table at midcourt.

I've heard that tale so many times... I can almost hear the rubber on the hardwood.

The Runts were the best passing team that I have seen at UK in my lifetime and I am 70 years of age.

My freshman year at UK was in 1999. I, like most of the country, had no real interest in college bball. I was just at UK for the academics and it was close to where I was from (not Kentucky so even less people cared about college bball). I was a college football fan and would watch the NBA, but was only interested in college bball the first round of the tourney with the brackets and what-not. By my sophmore year in 2000 I got the "bug" and became a huge college bball fan and obviously a massive UK fan, to the point where now I have thousands of posts on a message board 11 years after graduating and I don't even follow any other sports at all - just college bball 24/7/365. So I missed all the Pitino years, the 98 comeback, the 1992 game, etc. etc. I was alive and saw a lot of the games, but at the time I didn't really care who won or lost and had no emotions invested in them at all, so I don't really remember them much. I actually watched the 1998 Duke tourney game about 3 years ago on YouTube for the first time and got chills.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT