ADVERTISEMENT

A look at the incoming D-line players out of high school

Rhavicc

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2014
I'm extremely excited about getting these kids in the blue and white. Are they ranked very high? Nah, but that can be attributed to other things besides lack of skill, namely, simply not going to the recruiting service camps has the biggest impact on your ranking. Let's take a look at some of the players though.

I'll start with Joshua Allen. Nearly the lowest ranking recruit in UK's 2015 class, but definitely unjustifiably so. He was green as grass at the defensive end position, as it was his first year playing that position (he transferred in from Alabama, where he was a wide receiver), but still led the state of New Jersey in sacks with 22.5 (that's absolutely insane in one season, especially in a state fairly rich in talent).
The kid's coach is incredibly high on him. He's sent 3 defensive ends to D1 football, one to Ohio State, one to Rutgers, and one to Boston College, and the coach told anybody that would listen that Joshua Allen was the best out of all of them at the same stage of their careers.
He's not huge, but in a 3-4 defense, he doesn't need to be. He's about the same size as Ware whenever he came in. The kid is 6'4", 220#, and runs a 4.6 forty. The numbers suggest that he really knows how to disrupt plays in the backfield, and I look for this kid to wreak havoc in a couple of years. Potential to be an elite outside linebacker in the SEC with his speed, size, instincts, and ability to catch the ball (I read that he was an all-state WR in Alabama).

Here is a link to Joshua Allen's hudl highlights:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2037392/highlights/214930376/v2

Next, we'll take a look at Kengera Daniel. I mean, what can you say? The kid could have played football for Nick Saban in Alabama, and he could have because when you look past the 3 star rating like Saban did, you see a player with great size (6'6", 250# [or more, now]), speed for that size (4.79 forty), and strength (385 bench as listed on hudl, 465 on squat). Him signing and enrolling early with UK will only help him get bigger, faster, and stronger before the season gets into full swing. Kengera had an insane senior season in the state of North Carolina (another talent rich state), where he made 133 tackles, 65 tackles for loss, and 19 sacks (look, when roughly 49% of your tackles are in the backfield, you're damn good, no two ways about it). There are 5 star players that don't get those numbers, that's making a statement. I don't need to tell you all that this kid has some smooth moves that allow him to make plays and occasionally force fumbles in the backfield. That's a nice commodity to have.
Now raises the question, where will he play in a 3-4? Inside linebacker? Or will he pack on weight to be a defensive tackle in a 3-4? Time will tell, but his numbers, and offers, make me incredibly confident that whatever Stoops does with him defensively, we're going to be in very good shape.
P.S. Mr. Daniel, if your son has talked to you about what position he's looking at in a 3-4, get back to me, I would be very appreciative. :cool:

Here is a link to Kengera Daniel's hudl highlights:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1867435/highlights/167652377/v2

Finally, we'll look at Javon Provitt. I am shocked. Shocked. That this kid is ranked where he is. You look at his film, and he dominates the people put in front of him and lays down big hits. Very, very fast first step, very explosive off the line of scrimmage, very powerful player. In a couple of years, he has the potential to be one of the premier defensive tackles (likely the nose tackle in a 3-4, to be specific) in the SEC.
At 6'3", 305#, he's got size that can allow him to come in right away if needed.
Many Ohio State fans felt that Provitt was the best DT in the state of Ohio, which ranks as the 5th most talent rich state for D1 football players in the country. If you haven't seen him yet, I suggest that you do so. Tremendous pickup, in spite of the ranking.

Here is a link to Javon Provitt's hudl highlights:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2290857/highlights/182562377/v2

Last recruiting season may have hit a rough patch at the end, but the players that the staff recovered in such a short period of time is outstanding. Provitt and Allen are two of those players. KG was committed for quite some time, and stuck it out with us (which we are all very appreciative of).
A lot of people seemed upset when we made pickups like Sihiem King, Javon Provitt, and Joshua Allen based on rankings, but if you have eyes, and the ability to analyze (even on a minimal level), and read stats, you would know that these kids are sleepers. Let's be real here. An All-American running back, Georgia offensive player of the year in their highest division, scored 40 TD's in a season, and he's the 100th best RB in the class? Nope, try again.
What about a defensive end with freak athleticism, a nice frame, a ton of speed, and he led the state of New Jersey in sacks, that's the so-called "47th best player in New Jersey"? That's comical also.
And I'm really at a loss for words as far as Provitt goes. If there are really 77 defensive tackles better than him in the class, then we can really consider this an "way, way up-year".
A lot of terrific sleeper players in this class, and players that were unjustly ranked low considering their talent. Don't be surprised if in a couple of years, people are asking how these 3 listed above were ranked what they were.

Great writeup and analysis. I believe you are right on all 3 of these guys. These are nowhere near the old 'underrated' recruits we would get in past years. These are legit players who will make a huge difference to our defense in the coming years.

And Stoops & company's ability to find very, very good players are what will end up getting UK to the next level. Because our program has to be able to find kids like this. We are not going to win battles against OSU, Bama, etc very often. But some of the guys they are finding will have us competing against the top of the SEC in a few more years. If we are able to consistently find these kids who play above their star level, it means that a top 20 recruiting class may end up being closer to top 15.

Last years class could end up being one of our best classes we've had when all is said and done.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Hitting Ohio hard and retaining Marrow may be the biggest thing Stoops could have done for this program. Ohio is a big producer of D1 talent, many have dreams of going to Ohio State to play football, others don't. With Ohio being in Kentucky's backyard, and producing the talent that it does, it was an incredibly wise move to go in there with the likes of Ohio State and Michigan. Stoops, Marrow & co. have found very, very good recruits that were grossly underrated up there.
New Jersey has been very kind to us as well. New Jersey is a huge Penn State recruiting ground, and if we can split with teams like Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan on the recruiting trail, I'm confident in where this thing is going (which I already am, but I guess I'll be more-so).
It's not even that last year's class is raw talent, they have stats that prove otherwise, they're just grossly underrated, which is fine because we'll be more than happy to have them at UK.

Hopefully all can RS but that's contingent on getting something out of Miggins and Bell. Problem there is despite them having good size and experience by virtue of playing JUCO ball neither were highly recruited. We'll just have to wait and see what UK gets from Miggins and Bell.

Hopefully all can RS but that's contingent on getting something out of Miggins and Bell. Problem there is despite them having good size and experience by virtue of playing JUCO ball neither were highly recruited. We'll just have to wait and see what UK gets from Miggins and Bell.

In fairness to Miggins, he is pretty highly touted for a JUCO defensive tackle/defensive end. A point away from being a 4 star, but Mississippi State recruited him, and they've dipped into the JUCO ranks a lot, and been very successful in doing so.

In fairness to Miggins, he is pretty highly touted for a JUCO defensive tackle/defensive end. A point away from being a 4 star, but Mississippi State recruited him, and they've dipped into the JUCO ranks a lot, and been very successful in doing so.

Very true re Miss ST/JUCOs.. Bell is a head scratcher for me. He was highly recruited coming out of HS but did very little in JUCO. Everything I saw about him was UK was his only offer. I know there was some mention about FSU late but I never could confirm that. Regardless, UK needs big years from Miggins and Bell to climb the ladder.

If UK can lock down the state of KY and use OH, GA, and TN as the feeder states (I'd love to throw in FL as well), there is enough talent there to have consistent top 25 classes. If UK can pull off a few upsets and win a couple of bowl games, I think UK can become a SEC East threat. They are starting to get SEC depth now and that's not been there before.

True. I would say that Stoops has made smart Juco moves at UK.

I agree that I too am stoked about the incoming D-line class. It would be great to RS all the FR and get them a year in the system and a year in the nutrition program. I like Allen at the Jack/LB in a few years. Daniel can play wherever he wants in my opinion.

I'm extremely excited about getting these kids in the blue and white. Are they ranked very high? Nah, but that can be attributed to other things besides lack of skill, namely, simply not going to the recruiting service camps has the biggest impact on your ranking. Let's take a look at some of the players though.

I'll start with Joshua Allen. Nearly the lowest ranking recruit in UK's 2015 class, but definitely unjustifiably so. He was green as grass at the defensive end position, as it was his first year playing that position (he transferred in from Alabama, where he was a wide receiver), but still led the state of New Jersey in sacks with 22.5 (that's absolutely insane in one season, especially in a state fairly rich in talent).
The kid's coach is incredibly high on him. He's sent 3 defensive ends to D1 football, one to Ohio State, one to Rutgers, and one to Boston College, and the coach told anybody that would listen that Joshua Allen was the best out of all of them at the same stage of their careers.
He's not huge, but in a 3-4 defense, he doesn't need to be. He's about the same size as Ware whenever he came in. The kid is 6'4", 220#, and runs a 4.6 forty. The numbers suggest that he really knows how to disrupt plays in the backfield, and I look for this kid to wreak havoc in a couple of years. Potential to be an elite outside linebacker in the SEC with his speed, size, instincts, and ability to catch the ball (I read that he was an all-state WR in Alabama).

Here is a link to Joshua Allen's hudl highlights:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2037392/highlights/214930376/v2

Next, we'll take a look at Kengera Daniel. I mean, what can you say? The kid could have played football for Nick Saban in Alabama, and he could have because when you look past the 3 star rating like Saban did, you see a player with great size (6'6", 250# [or more, now]), speed for that size (4.79 forty), and strength (385 bench as listed on hudl, 465 on squat). Him signing and enrolling early with UK will only help him get bigger, faster, and stronger before the season gets into full swing. Kengera had an insane senior season in the state of North Carolina (another talent rich state), where he made 133 tackles, 65 tackles for loss, and 19 sacks (look, when roughly 49% of your tackles are in the backfield, you're damn good, no two ways about it). There are 5 star players that don't get those numbers, that's making a statement. I don't need to tell you all that this kid has some smooth moves that allow him to make plays and occasionally force fumbles in the backfield. That's a nice commodity to have.
Now raises the question, where will he play in a 3-4? Inside linebacker? Or will he pack on weight to be a defensive tackle in a 3-4? Time will tell, but his numbers, and offers, make me incredibly confident that whatever Stoops does with him defensively, we're going to be in very good shape.
P.S. Mr. Daniel, if your son has talked to you about what position he's looking at in a 3-4, get back to me, I would be very appreciative. :cool:

Here is a link to Kengera Daniel's hudl highlights:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1867435/highlights/167652377/v2

Finally, we'll look at Javon Provitt. I am shocked. Shocked. That this kid is ranked where he is. You look at his film, and he dominates the people put in front of him and lays down big hits. Very, very fast first step, very explosive off the line of scrimmage, very powerful player. In a couple of years, he has the potential to be one of the premier defensive tackles (likely the nose tackle in a 3-4, to be specific) in the SEC.
At 6'3", 305#, he's got size that can allow him to come in right away if needed.
Many Ohio State fans felt that Provitt was the best DT in the state of Ohio, which ranks as the 5th most talent rich state for D1 football players in the country. If you haven't seen him yet, I suggest that you do so. Tremendous pickup, in spite of the ranking.

Here is a link to Javon Provitt's hudl highlights:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2290857/highlights/182562377/v2

Last recruiting season may have hit a rough patch at the end, but the players that the staff recovered in such a short period of time is outstanding. Provitt and Allen are two of those players. KG was committed for quite some time, and stuck it out with us (which we are all very appreciative of).
A lot of people seemed upset when we made pickups like Sihiem King, Javon Provitt, and Joshua Allen based on rankings, but if you have eyes, and the ability to analyze (even on a minimal level), and read stats, you would know that these kids are sleepers. Let's be real here. An All-American running back, Georgia offensive player of the year in their highest division, scored 40 TD's in a season, and he's the 100th best RB in the class? Nope, try again.
What about a defensive end with freak athleticism, a nice frame, a ton of speed, and he led the state of New Jersey in sacks, that's the so-called "47th best player in New Jersey"? That's comical also.
And I'm really at a loss for words as far as Provitt goes. If there are really 77 defensive tackles better than him in the class, then we can really consider this an "way, way up-year".
A lot of terrific sleeper players in this class, and players that were unjustly ranked low considering their talent. Don't be surprised if in a couple of years, people are asking how these 3 listed above were ranked what they were.

Rhavicc, I felt the same way about Javon Provitt when watching his film, this kid is a monster and has the potential to be a game changer for us. He actually reminds me a lot of the # 1 player in the 2016 class according to the NEW HISTORICAL RIVALS RANKINGS, Dexter Lawrence. KG actually went head to head against Dexter in the playoffs the past two years. Dexter had to play OT to try and keep KG out of the backfield (didn't work) and KG had to play fullback to keep Dexter out of the backfield (didn't work), we all got our money's worth that game (KG-Kentucky, Dexter - # 1 recruit in nation now, Bryce Love - Stanford and James Smith Williams - NC State all one field). They are all good friends. Provitt reminds me a lot of Dexter with the explosion and hand movement.

KG was 262 when he left to go back to Lexington Sunday, CS asked him to carry a playing weight of 265 for the next two years at the Jack position and potentially 270 at Jack for year 3.

I'm excited about all three of these guys also. Is Provitt good to go for the fall? I thought I remember some scuttlebutt that the NCAA was double-checking some things related to his academics. In fact, I believe concerns about his academics may have caused some schools to back away from him.

JMO, but I believe Allen will RS. Of the three, KG probably is most likely to play as a true FR>

Last years class could end up being one of our best classes we've had when all is said and done.

I have always been of the opinion that football recruiting class rankings are about as useful as preseason polls. There are so many factors that a ranking cant account for. Id love to see a breakdown and re-rankings 4 years later. I think we will find that certain coaches consistently play above their recruiting class rankings which means either the coach is just that good or the rankings were flawed in the first place, or a little of both. For instance Missouri comes to mind. I don't remember them being recruiting machines but they have found themselves atop the East. They are just one of many that I'm certain did not have powerhouse recruiting classes. Sure when you're Bama or OSU etc you're getting the cream of the crop so that top 4 or 5 ranking may be legit but after that it comes down to identifying talent, developing talent and running a "program" which is different than simply coaching a "team". I'm guessing there are a lot of teams ranked in the teens that play well below that the Sr year of that recruiting class and there are just as many more that find themselves in the also rans between 20-60 that play well above those #'s their Sr year.

Recruit ranking services for football are nothing more than a way to pry $$$ from fanatics hands and at the end of the day most aren't worth the bandwidth they occupy. So many of these kids not at the top of the list aren't fully developed yet, some don't attend many camps,some are out of position in HS and many more are just subjected to terrible coaching at the HS level. Football is my sport of choice much more so than hoops and I've never spent a penny or more than 5 minutes researching a recruit or a class of recruits. Ill get excited when they are enrolled, their number is being called and all of the so called recruiting experts are far enough removed from that "ranking" that no one remember just how off base they were.

I believe I heard July before we know about Javon. If he makes it I believe we could have a really good D for the next 5 years. Enough talent everywhere but you need a dominant nose in the 3-4.

I think the reason maggard liked this class better than last year's is because of the D side of the ball. Almost everyone on that side of the ball looks like future starters. DBs and lbs look like the kind of guys LSU and bama usually have. But provitt was the only big.

I believe I heard July before we know about Javon. If he makes it I believe we could have a really good D for the next 5 years. Enough talent everywhere but you need a dominant nose in the 3-4.

I think the reason maggard liked this class better than last year's is because of the D side of the ball. Almost everyone on that side of the ball looks like future starters. DBs and lbs look like the kind of guys LSU and bama usually have. But provitt was the only big.

Many of them are incredibly athletic and explosive, and the stats show that they're really good already. I trust my eyes, and I trust Stoops' eyes when it comes to seeing talent. I'm excited about what this group can bring to the defensive side of the ball. Provitt is the kind of talent that could provide playing time immediately. Personally, I would be very happy with 3 defensive tackles in a 3-4 consisting of C.J. Johnson, Matt Elam, and Javon Provitt.
A 3-4 also provides more quality depth at the LB position next season, especially with many players coming off a redshirt. I could see the run defense being considerably better, and the defense in general. I have complete trust in at least 9 of the 11 defensive positions.

Provitt looks like D Robertson 10 years back. That bull rush is sick. Those are not small children he is embarrassing. Pretty tough when an OL has to discuss pancakes suffered, rather than dealt.

What's more, he looks relatively agile and quick.

Provitt looks like D Robertson 10 years back. That bull rush is sick. Those are not small children he is embarrassing. Pretty tough when an OL has to discuss pancakes suffered, rather than dealt.

What's more, he looks relatively agile and quick.
Good comparison if he is even close to that we struck gold.

IMO the main thing that kept many of the top teams from recruiting Provitt was doubt that he could qualify academically. If this kid qualifies IMO UK will have gotten a real gem. I have seen some things written that suggested that he might have been the best DT in Ohio this year.

IMO Danials and Provitt were real finds and will upgrade the Cats DL for the next several years. I also like Miggins. He seems to be very quick and agile for his size. There is no doubt that the best part of the recruited class is on the defensive side.

I do not disagree with that last comment, but Greenwood, by recruiting site standards, may be the best WR recruited to UK in sometime. There is also some talent in the OLine in this class. Big George is clearly unique for UK.

So far, Stoops and his staff turned both Dupree and Smith into NFL players who are now financially setup for life. Melvin Lewis will be next on the list plus he already has his degree. Then you see guys like Johnson who have potential and then younger guys like Meant, Elam, etc. There is no doubt Stoops knows how to develop Dlineman. He did it at FSU and is already doing it at KY.

Good observations/ comment... RSing players would be great and my guess the goal of a lot of Staff... Means you have reached a point in the plan where depth allows for the RS to be possible... In our situation too many guys are having to go against teams that have had their plan working for some time... A true Frosh. playing against a 5th year Senior at the LOS isn't going to produce good results but rarely... Too much comment is made about year #3 being monumental for UK.... I say focus on improvement in every area of the game and good things will happen... Could be year #3 or could be #5... We are headed in the right direction. Need to keep swinging the hammer.

Just took another look at that Provitt reel. He really does impress. He plays with a pretty good pad level, and is even quicker than I first perceived. It is the combination of his get-off, strength, and pretty good technique for his age and size that is killing kids on the video. Frankly, I'd say he is ahead of D Robertson at the same stage, and probably has a higher ceiling.

NT from all accounts. Probably get to 320+ by rs freshman year.

Thanks. Looking at him and Elam as the main 2 in the rotation at NT in a couple of years then. The other teams C and Gs won't know what hit them.

The defense has the potential to be very, very good in a hurry. I'm very excited, really.

Just took another look at that Provitt reel. He really does impress. He plays with a pretty good pad level, and is even quicker than I first perceived. It is the combination of his get-off, strength, and pretty good technique for his age and size that is killing kids on the video. Frankly, I'd say he is ahead of D Robertson at the same stage, and probably has a higher ceiling.

Come on Dude! DR was a beast and his ceiling was through the roof, which is why is went 4th overall. People forget how great he really was. Guy Moriss couldn't believe he could run 4.7s at 320 and bench 500. He got double teamed every play and was still always around the ball

Come on Dude! DR was a beast and his ceiling was through the roof, which is why is went 4th overall. People forget how great he really was. Guy Moriss couldn't believe he could run 4.7s at 320 and bench 500. He got double teamed every play and was still always around the ball

I didn't realize he had that kind of speed at that size. He was a force on D, just tying up two blockers is a great help to a D.

I always wondered what Peters could have done his senior year at UK if the stupid NCAA hadn't robbed Jarmon of his eligibility for innocently taking an over the counter non prescription diet pill. He had a great season even being double teamed every play, would have loved to see what he would have done if teams had to split them with Jarmon.

Very nice OP and comments, worthy of bringing back up.

Agreed Jauk! The News in May of june of 2009 killed me about Jarmon. That line was gonna be awesome with Peters and Jarmon and our great lbers.

Dewayne was pissed that he only ran a 4.82 at UKs Pro Day. Coach Moriss said he had Run 4.7s plenty at 320lb. Dude was a Bull. When he was in the game we stopped the Run. Even though we were thin depthwise, 2002 was our best team in 30 years. Should have been 9-3.

If UK can lock down the state of KY and use OH, GA, and TN as the feeder states

You didn't mention Florida, actually the 2nd most important state for our program. Ohio is the most important, not Kentucky. We currently have 12 verbals from Ohio (counting Ross and McKinniss) and 4 from Kentucky in our 2016 class. In our 2015 class, we signed 5 players from Ohio, 5 from Florida, and 2 from Kentucky. On our 2015 roster, we have 22 players on scholarship from Ohio (not counting Krok, who is gone now), 16 from Florida (counting Bell), and 13 from Kentucky (counting Mosier, who originally walked on). Ohio and Florida are much more than feeder states for our program. Ohio has been our primary recruiting territory since Stoops got here, and Florida is almost as important as Ohio.

Last edited:
Live close to Millbrook High School in North Raleigh and have been to a few games the last couple of seasons. Daniel very much stood out and I was really happy when he pulled the trigger for the Cats.

Good write-up. Enjoy these kinds of posts always but especially this time of year.

Gonna be 3 solid players for us down the road.
Javon Provitt in that video was holding down the line by himself 3/4 of the plays in that film, and not only did he hold it down, he was the one making the tackles..... Just impressive... I've not watched much tape on him, but I can see that his low ranking is a joke... One of the best nose tackles that I've seen.... Those other two guys were good too... I'm really impressed.... OP, thanks for this thread....

ADVERTISEMENT