ADVERTISEMENT

66, NA, 46, 97, and 75 — Mark Popes Last 5 Recruiting Class Ranks

While it’s not a requirement to be a Mormon to play for BYU, everyone has to adhere to the school’s code of conduct which includes, no coffee, no tea, no alcohol and no premarital intercourse. This would clearly have an impact on who’s even eligible to recruit. The low rankings aren’t surprising.

Reactions: warrior-cat
Zero tourney wins. Let me guess Mitch gives him 7mil+ per. Idiot!
UK was about to throw big money at a guy who prior to the last two years had a total of 2. Who still is kind of unproven in a way. UConn only seems to see success when kids want to stay close to home. Let’s get real Ollie won a title at UConn in year 2.

I would rather have a non ranked recruiting class that is well coached and seems like they know what they are doing, than have a #1 recruiting class that craps the bed every year.
What about a non ranked class that that is coached at an average level that ultimately puts us in the same position (or worse) as cal last 5 years?

It’s BYU. It’s a Mormon school. That is quite a bit of a factor in recruiting.

He’s recruiting Mormons there dude. If you think he will recruit the same players here I don’t know what to tell you. I get that people are upset it’s not this flashy amazing hire. It’s starting to sound like we are the entitled crazy fanbase that no successful coach wants anymore. Everyone wanted Cal gone. We were tired of Mercenary’s. We wanted someone to coach a team for the University of Kentucky again. We got an Alum who is a good coach to do that. We can all riot to fire Mitch and run him out of town if he doesn’t win. Then we can try this whole thing again when the National people say “this is why nobody went the first time, BBN is nuts and 12M a year isn’t worth it.” If you don’t win a title every year they want to sell your house. It’s been horrid on the radio and stories today. Just getting ripped apart and embarrassed.
This x 1000. His hands were tied on the type of kids he could recruit.

According to ON3. This has to not be real. I guess we’ll have 4 year players again.

GOOD!! We need players who will stick with us 3-4 years and give us the valuable NCAA Tournament experience we so desperately need. Trust, me our almost threepeat in 96/97/98 would NOT have been possible otherwise.

He’s not qualified and should have been about #50 on the list. I’m not waiting for shit, I’ll trash this hire everyday
Hurley has no longtime track record of UK level of success. Right now he’s a flash in the pan and UK almost threw the bank at him. That would be like hiring Ollie after the 2014 title. How would that have worked out?

But gee golly they’re just the nicest boys and we’ll start hanging banners for being nice.

Trying to imagine Mark Pope recruiting anyone that isn’t BYU caliber is just laughable. I cringe at imagining this guy try to recruit urban areas.

What about a non ranked class that that is coached at an average level that ultimately puts us in the same position (or worse) as cal last 5 years?
I've already stated that's not acceptable and shouldn't be acceptable at UK or really any blue blood school. I'm perfectly fine with taking a few lumps to start, because let's be honest our heads are already pretty lumpy right now. As long as we keep moving forward I'm good but starting off bad and remaining bad, see BCG, it's time to move on.

According to ON3. This has to not be real. I guess we’ll have 4 year players again.

You realize that is BYU and all the restriction BYU has. And no offense look at the final 4, those teams had 3 and 4 even 5 year players on the roster. Only two 5 stars in the entire final 4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT