ADVERTISEMENT

3 More Bowls

mrschwump

All-American
Nov 4, 2006
Saw where the NCAA has added 3 more bowls starting next year. Brings the total to 42. Don't have a link, sure it's out there somewhere. Surely UK can make one every now and then.

Pretty sure several 5-7 teams are going to have to be selected for 84 participants in exhibition bowl games

someone on twitter sent out the count of recent years, the teams who went 6-6 or better were only in the mid 70's

Great ! I love the period between around Dec 20 and the end of bowl season. IMO, it's the best time of year sports wise... I can watch college football no matter who's playing; no matter when they play. Personally, I 'd like to see them extend college Football season through January. They could wait and start college bball then....let them play a few exhibition games ( that's essentially what the regular season is anyway) and begin the tournament in March.

Reactions: JDHoss
Often times there are a few teams that go 8-4 in the Sunbelt, etc.

I sure hope that these are the teams that are selected over a .500 or below teams

I'm not wanting the NCAA to lower the bar so we can play bowl games, I want UK to raise the bar.
We're getting there, and any SEC team that wins 6 games will go to a bowl. Plain and simple.

Reactions: JPFisher
Saw where the NCAA has added 3 more bowls starting next year. Brings the total to 42. Don't have a link, sure it's out there somewhere. Surely UK can make one every now and then.
These bowls are unlikely to affect UK's bowl opportunities. The SEC will take care of a bowl eligible member. Read an article yesterday and don't have a link but these bowls were slated to be all non-P5 match-ups. There are usually some MAC, WAC, Sun Belt, et. al. teams that get bowl snubbed with 6, 7 even 8 win seasons.

Peace

Last edited:
I'm not wanting the NCAA to lower the bar so we can play bowl games, I want UK to raise the bar.
We're getting there, and any SEC team that wins 6 games will go to a bowl. Plain and simple.

Yep, agree with you 100%. There's too many bowl games as it is.

This is the dumbest thing ever. Why have 84 out of 127 teams make a bowl game? Teams with losing records should not be rewarded. It just make no sense to me. Maybe the NCAA should extend the NCAA college basketball tournament to 132 team now.

It is a plus one game and I think everyone should be allowed one it is not a playoff it is a commerical and fun game Who would it have hurt if say UK and Eastern or Vandy had play an extra game at one of there home fields..

This is the dumbest thing ever. Why have 84 out of 127 teams make a bowl game? Teams with losing records should not be rewarded. It just make no sense to me. Maybe the NCAA should extend the NCAA college basketball tournament to 132 team now.

I have to agree with this. We literally have twice as many bowls as any sane person is interested in watching. Thank the networks, particularly the WWL.

I have to agree with this. We literally have twice as many bowls as any sane person is interested in watching.
False

Bowl games are businesses boys, individual capitalist enterprises. And if they don't make money, from attendance and from TV advertising, they go out of business. Guess what, with the number of bowls increasing and not decreasing it can only mean that fans want to attend them, fans want to watch them.

Jezus, are you 2 football fans, why are you angry or displeased at more free football to watch in December? Don't like them, don't watch! Clearly you are in the minority though, these new ones are being created because the demand for more exhibition football after the regular season is increasing not decreasing.

Reactions: JDHoss and cat888
oh and news just came out, a bowl in Australia starting up for next year. So in 2016 it will be 43 bowls for 86 teams out of 127.

Reactions: cat888
False

Bowl games are businesses boys, individual capitalist enterprises. And if they don't make money, from attendance and from TV advertising, they go out of business. Guess what, with the number of bowls increasing and not decreasing it can only mean that fans want to attend them, fans want to watch them.

Jezus, are you 2 football fans, why are you angry or displeased at more free football to watch in December? Don't like them, don't watch! Clearly you are in the minority though, these new ones are being created because the demand for more exhibition football after the regular season is increasing not decreasing.
It seems that TV advertising etc has everything to do with it and attendance not much. Many of the bowl games you can almost count the people in the stands. I enjoyed the heck out of watching that game in the Bahamas last year but it didn't look like more than 500 people were there.

False

I'm not angry one bit. I love football and love to watch it. I do however think it is silly to reward teams with a losing record. No, I'm probably not going to watch a bowl game with two teams with losing records. Now if you have the time to watch all 43 bowl games, then I'm surprised your not some kind of analyst working for ESPN.

False

Neither true, nor false. There is no objective answer to the question, "Are their too many bowl games?" I see the product (bowl season excitement) as having been hopelessly diluted over my lifetime. Plenty of people share my opinion. If you get you jollies watching a 3rd place WAC squad tilt with a 4th place Sun Belt squad, more power to you. And to think I thought I really loved college football. Huh...

Ultimately, my statement did not overlook the possibility that most Americans are, in fact, insane, explaining the booming college bowl game industry and its appetite for crap football teams.

Reactions: Oak_Hill
New bowls become reality when investors in local communities do their due diligence and package financial backing and facility agreements. The NCAA endorses new bowl initiatives that are solidly financed by corporate backers at the local level, so more opportunities for television packages can be created during the holiday bowl season. Money and investment are driving this. It has nothing to do with the NCAA lowering any bars. Plain and simple, any bowl bid that gives our football team a chance for an additional month of practice in December is far better for our program than ending practice after Thanksgiving.

I see the product (bowl season excitement) as having been hopelessly diluted over my lifetime. Plenty of people share my opinion. If you get you jollies watching a 3rd place WAC squad tilt with a 4th place Sun Belt squad, more power to you.
you call it diluted, and you are entitled to your opinion. I think college football is the greatest product for viewing pleasure since the gladiators of Rome. And anyway that MORE of it is played for my viewing pleasure is a wonderful thing to celebrate.

Hell yeah I'll get my jollies watching 3rd from the WAC playing 4th from the SUN...as opposed to WHAT THE HELL ELSE IS THERE TO WATCH IN MID/LATE DECEMBER? Boring ass hack fest college basketball, with scores in the 40's & 50's? NBA games with disinterested players who only play up to their abilities on national TV & the playoffs? No thanks! And more bowls clearly shows people are voting in my favor with their eyes & tv ratings.

I don't really care that they add more bowls. I won't watch them all (never have), but not a big deal to me.

False

I'm angry because it rewards mediocrity. Bowl games should be for teams that have good records. You shouldn't get to a bowl with a 500 record. Thats the equivalent to a participation ribbon. Not surprising given the state of society, but sad none the less.

December is when some of the best matchups occur in college basketball. I'd rather watch a UK vs UL/UNC/Duke/Kansas (or even teams like those playing each other without UK being involved) over two middle of the pack mid major football teams playing. Once the regular season is over in football, I personally only catch a handful of bowl games. Usually it is some SEC teams or the higher rated bowls. I guess I am just not as big of a football junkie as some though. Judging by the attendance, most people won't pay to watch the lower tier bowls.

You're kidding, right? How can that help UK? It might help some of the lower tier teams and their conferences... If they added 20 more bowls, it will not help UK.... One reason that UK doesn't go to a bowl game every year is because we're in the SEC... Would you give up your SEC status to go to a bowl game in Chickasaw.....? Not me... I would rather play the elite teams of college football every week.... I want to watch UK vrs. Georgia, not UK vrs. Lipscomb U..... If we can't be a player in the SEC, I would just as soon our bowl game be against UT.....

The SEC takes around 10 teams a year now.... Anyone with a 6 win season is in....A 500 season will get you to a bowl game in the SEC..... Before long, we won't have to worry about going to bowls, but how high up ladder we go.... National Championship sounds good to me... Thats my goal... If you go target shooting, you aim for the bulls eye.. If you miss the bulls eye, then you take what you get, but you still aim for the bulls eye....

You're kidding, right? How can that help UK? It might help some of the lower tier teams and their conferences... If they added 20 more bowls, it will not help UK.... One reason that UK doesn't go to a bowl game every year is because we're in the SEC... Would you give up your SEC status to go to a bowl game in Chickasaw.....? Not me... I would rather play the elite teams of college football every week.... I want to watch UK vrs. Georgia, not UK vrs. Lipscomb U..... If we can't be a player in the SEC, I would just as soon our bowl game be against UT.....

The SEC takes around 10 teams a year now.... Anyone with a 6 win season is in....A 500 season will get you to a bowl game in the SEC..... Before long, we won't have to worry about going to bowls, but how high up ladder we go.... National Championship sounds good to me... Thats my goal... If you go target shooting, you aim for the bulls eye.. If you miss the bulls eye, then you take what you get, but you still aim for the bulls eye....

Good god, lighten up dude. It was meant as a joke.

you call it diluted, and you are entitled to your opinion. I think college football is the greatest product for viewing pleasure since the gladiators of Rome. And anyway that MORE of it is played for my viewing pleasure is a wonderful thing to celebrate.

Hell yeah I'll get my jollies watching 3rd from the WAC playing 4th from the SUN...as opposed to WHAT THE HELL ELSE IS THERE TO WATCH IN MID/LATE DECEMBER? Boring ass hack fest college basketball, with scores in the 40's & 50's? NBA games with disinterested players who only play up to their abilities on national TV & the playoffs? No thanks! And more bowls clearly shows people are voting in my favor with their eyes & tv ratings.

Attendance and TV ratings for many/most of the bowl games are not good. Very few games last year were even close to a sellout. I watch a ton of CFB during the season and keep up with it religiously but I can't bear to watch more than about 6-10 bowl games and even those I don't watch start to finish. Who could possibly care about a Sun Belt vs. MWC team? Not me.

As for your question re: what else is there to watch in mid/late December? Here's a novel idea: don't watch anything. Take a walk. Read a book. Interact with friends and family. Play a round of golf or an hour or two of tennis. Do yard work. Just because it's on TV doesn't mean you have to watch it. Personally, no TV is far superior to a completely meaningless CFB game between two teams I care nothing or know anything about. There's a bunch of more entertaining options to me than watching a mid-December bowl game. That's me. That doesn't mean I don't love CFB. That just means I want to watch meaningful games that people are excited about. When the stands are 1/3 full and the two teams are nobodies, I don't watch.

I agree with the poster(s) that said watching mediocre football teams play is better than watching bball. IMO, nothing in bball matters until the ncaa tournament begins. Two teams playing in December is no more important or entertaining for me than watching a mlb exhibition game in March. Bowl season, IMO is the best 3-4 weeks of the entire sports year. The more bowls the better. Someone mentioned the Bahamas bowl. For me, I'd rather watch a great game like that than watch anyone play any bball game that's not an ncaa tourn game involving Ky. Our goal should be to get someone to sponsor a bowl game for our "new" stadium. The "Bourbon" Bowl. Bobby Bouchet could be the m c.

I don't mind the bowls, I tune into watch a football game not people in the stands.

UK is in the SEC with a large fan base. All you have to do is win 6 games and you guys area lock for a bowl.

UK is in the SEC with a large fan base. All you have to do is win 6 games and you guys area lock for a bowl.

That's pretty much a given for any of the P5 teams don't you think? Maybe one of the P5 conferences had a 6-6 team left out I really didn't check on it but I would think any 6 win P5 team is more attractive to a bowl committee than an 8 win team from the MAC.

ADVERTISEMENT