ADVERTISEMENT

24/7 Sports Crystal Ball for Jamal Murray...

rabidcatfan

All-SEC
Jan 25, 2003
It says UK - signed and then underneath, the crystal ball has Oregon 75% and UK 25%. Lol, I guess we shouldn't put so much stock in what those guys say anymore.

Reactions: Orange Soda King
Check out the Murray to UK thread. I'm sure their was several crystal ball discussions. Crystal ball was favoring us I'm sure on other targets that chose elsewhere. Just shows you kids pick school for their own reasons even if it defy's logic.

It's funny because the picks are like sheep.They know nothing but follow along because the majority says a certain school.

Reactions: kyups01
Jerry Meyer seemed so positive he was going to Oregon. That shows you how much he knows.

It's funny because the picks are like sheep.They know nothing but follow along because the majority says a certain school.
That's the absolute truth. Most people on here, myself included, had resigned themselves to the fact that Murray was going to Oregon. Except that he didn't. All of that was based on these "experts" who had no direct knowledge from either the player, family, or the schools. They all made guesses and followed the guess right before theirs.

Is there anywhere on their site where it tells their percentage correct for a recruiting period?

I have looked over it a little, but haven't done enough digging to see that.

Of course, it's skewed a little bit, Meyer is notorious for changing it at the last minute after its leaked

If a social scientist did a post-mortem on the Jamal Murray recruitment, it'd lead to a fascinating paper.

Most of us were fairly comfortable he was coming to Kentucky until roughly last Sunday, in part based on a Dave Kersey post. I was off the board for just one day, roughly, and when I came back, there was virtual complete acceptance that he was going to Oregon. When I tried to unravel why, it appeared that all the angst -- and the basis for national experts to change their predictions -- was a days old tweet linked to an Oregon player, who common sense would suggest couldn't know anything (Murray and his family weren't going to blurt out the decision to random players.) That totally baseless piece of information turned everything inside out -- even for those of us who felt it was spurious. It was just too difficult to swim against the perceptual tide for many.

Very true, but with all the other recruitments the destination leaked out in the days leading up to announcements. So even a tweet that normally would have been derisively dismissed, was enough to sway national perception because of what happened repeatedly in the spring.

It's been a fun and wild late recruiting season. I went from believing we'd land Zimm and Newman, to okay we'll get Diallo and Newman, to okay we'll get Newman, to well it makes total sense for Brown to come to UK. And one after another were just total head scratchers besides Diallo. So glad we got Murray. My faith never wavered in Coach Cal, and everyone committing elsewhere made me love the incoming players more. Landing Murray just made it another historical class and I really couldn't have been happier when I heard the news.

It says UK - signed and then underneath, the crystal ball has Oregon 75% and UK 25%. Lol, I guess we shouldn't put so much stock in what those guys say anymore.
Just before Murray committed to Kentucky earlier this week, there was a long column of Crystal Ball predictions saying he would pick Oregon. This has been a very bad year for the credibility of the Crystal Ball. The guys making those predictions don't know anymore than you or me. I can't believe anyone with sense takes it seriously anymore.

I knew Murray was coming here when he extended his trip to 4 days.

Never believe what someone says, but watch the behavior. The behavior tells everything.

I knew Murray was coming here when he extended his trip to 4 days.

Never believe what someone says, but watch the behavior. The behavior tells everything.
True. I had allowed the tweet and people on message boards to sway me to believe that he was going to Oregon. But the fact that he started following, I forget, 4...5 Kentucky players, and no one from Oregon was in the back of my head making me wonder.

Reactions: UKDUNK
True. I had allowed the tweet and people on message boards to sway me to believe that he was going to Oregon. But the fact that he started following, I forget, 4...5 Kentucky players, and no one from Oregon was in the back of my head making me wonder.

I know. Hey, the human voice can be compelling, especially when it gathers steam.

For me it didn't make sense that he would choose Oregon. Stayed 2 extra days. Following UK players like you said, and the reclassification. Those behaviors scream UK. But hey, ya know the deal around here. If more than 5 start their drama (self perceived rationalizations) it can be a freight train of negativity. No worries, It will happen again in the future. Just remember, watch the behavior next time.

Jerry Meyer seemed so positive he was going to Oregon. That shows you how much he knows.

Jerry never knows anything, and if by some chance he does, it's leaked information 5 minutes before a kid commits. The crystal ball is a joke. I mean Jerry took to Twitter telling people if they knew what he knew, they would know why Jerry switched his prediction back to Oregon. What did you know, Jerry? Sounds like he got some great info! [laughing]

Is there anywhere on their site where it tells their percentage correct for a recruiting period?

I have looked over it a little, but haven't done enough digging to see that.

Of course, it's skewed a little bit, Meyer is notorious for changing it at the last minute after its leaked

They should freeze all "predictions" at 12:00 a.m. on the day of the kids announcement so these guys who get paid to make "expert" picks get put on the spot, instead of letting them change their picks only moments before the kid announces his school to keep their averages high. If it were that way, then you could almost guarantee that their correct to incorrect ratios would be way more slanted to the incorrect side. Of course, some people may think this is unfair because a kid could be deadset on going to school A, and then the night before his announcement have a change of heart and opt to commit to school B, while leading the experts to believe he was still leaning towards school A, but then again, that's what these guys get paid for, to predict where these kids will end up.

all the angst -- and the basis for national experts to change their predictions -- was a days old tweet linked to an Oregon player, who common sense would suggest couldn't know anything (Murray and his family weren't going to blurt out the decision to random players.) That totally baseless piece of information turned everything inside out -- even for those of us who felt it was spurious.
I kept trying to point this out - that some random kid on the Oregon roster saying "welcome Jamal" was no different than what lots of kids said in many other recruitment, and was more likely wishful thinking than insider knowledge, but that the complete lack of info in this recruitment caused everyone to fixate on it.

Nobody listened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT