ADVERTISEMENT

201y jonathan isaac to florida state

tank2009

Sophomore
Feb 12, 2009
Scout reporting isaac comittment to fsu. Seems quick and early but i do t know what his ties are to fsu.

That's weird. It seems like top-10 recruits would care more about their future pro career.

I can't figure out why the SF position is so hard for Calipari. It's basically been MKG and then a bunch of misses.

Big loss for Cal and UK.

Incredible with all the success Cal has had the difficulty he has when it comes to getting SF's. Just crazy.

I was hoping Cal would land him. He's the perfect fit for us at the 3/4 spots.

Hopefully we can get Bridges for that spot. It will be difficult to pull him away from MSU, though.

These stupid kids need to hold off on committing for a while and get the Crazy out of their systems! I know, I'll commit to Alcorn State! Coach told me they'll have a good shot at the Championship next year!

Wash hoping Murray was going to stop the recruiting bleeding. Perhaps we are in better with Tatum or Bridges than we think?

Charles Matthews will be a damn good soph. Don't have to load up every year at every position.

Reactions: Jkwo
Well son of a b----. I wanted that kid.

Maybe FSU just told him what he wanted to hear. Cal shoots straight with kids and Jonathan flat out said "I want to play guard". If Cal told him "you're gonna have to put on some weight and learn some inside moves to go with your outside shot" he may not have liked it. I don't know. Just thinkin out loud online. Who knows? I'm sure we'll be fine.

Last edited:
Some on here get so torn up about positions.

It's got to say SF beside their names or they think they can't play the 3.

Meanwhile, Duke wins the title with a 6'5 SG starting at the 3.

UofL wins the 2013 title with 6'5 SG Blackshear at the 3.

UConn plays 6'5 SG Lamb at the 3 most of the time in 2011.

Looks to me that you have as good or better chance to win a title by playing a 6'5-ish SG.

Reactions: true blue1
Odd choice if he wants to play guard--since they'll have Beasley, Mann, and Bacon (who I know thinks he's a one and done). FSU has the talent--and are heavy favorites for Udona Azubuike too. If Hamilton can't win with the talent he'll have next couple of years--he should be fired.

Some on here get so torn up about positions.

It's got to say SF beside their names or they think they can't play the 3.

Meanwhile, Duke wins the title with a 6'5 SG starting at the 3.

UofL wins the 2013 title with 6'5 SG Blackshear at the 3.

UConn plays 6'5 SG Lamb at the 3 most of the time in 2011.

Looks to me that you have as good or better chance to win a title by playing a 6'5-ish SG.
I'm not sure anybody is "torn up" about positions. It is an odd recruiting quirk that Calipari has struck out on the elite small forwards. He still does fine with PGs, SGs, PFs, and Cs.... so I'm not complaining at all.

Obviously we will start 5 players, and every national champion that I am aware of had 5 players in their lineup. That's how the game is played. But, we have generally struggled landing the elite SF recruits outside of MKG.

Still early, let's see if that sticks. Really, really want to see that kid in Blue, but if not, might as well be at Florida State where he won't hurt us and can face some of our rivals and biggest national competitors.

Good point about Matthews, by the way. Also with Monk, Simmons, Fox, Bridges, Alkins. Heron, Fultz and others, along with Ulis maybe being back, there are tons of options. I like Isaac as well as anyone not named Jackson, but something tells me we'll be just fine in 2016.

I'm not sure anybody is "torn up" about positions. It is an odd recruiting quirk that Calipari has struck out on the elite small forwards. He still does fine with PGs, SGs, PFs, and Cs.... so I'm not complaining at all.

Obviously we will start 5 players, and every national champion that I am aware of had 5 players in their lineup. That's how the game is played. But, we have generally struggled landing the elite SF recruits outside of MKG.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think it's like Shakespeare wrote, "much ado about nothing."

We get MKG at the 3 and he is labeled SF.

We get Young at the 3 and he is labeled SG.

We get Murray at the 3 and he is labeled PG or CG (depending on who you are talking to).

What does it matter as long as they can play?

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think it's like Shakespeare wrote, "much ado about nothing."

We get MKG at the 3 and he is labeled SF.

We get Young at the 3 and he is labeled SG.

We get Murray at the 3 and he is labeled PG or CG (depending on who you are talking to).

What does it matter as long as they can play?
It matters to the extent that UK wanted Isaac to play the 3 and he chose to go somewhere else. Just like they wanted Brown/Ingram or Stanley Johnson or Wiggins or Shabazz. There's nothing we can do about it obviously. But, it is something we can talk about.

Scout reporting isaac comittment to fsu. Seems quick and early but i do t know what his ties are to fsu.
One of my three favorites in this class. FSU takes one from UK yet again. smh

Matters too once Matthews blows up and goes to the draft lol. Man come on 16 recruits.

It matters to the extent that UK wanted Isaac to play the 3 and he chose to go somewhere else. Just like they wanted Brown/Ingram or Stanley Johnson or Wiggins or Shabazz. There's nothing we can do about it obviously. But, it is something we can talk about.

Yet we got MKG, Poythress, Young, and Murray at the 3.

Also missed on Irving and Mudiay at the 1.

Also missed on Harris and Newman at the 2.

Also missed on Bennett and Payne at the 4.

Also missed on Diallo and Zimmerman at the 5.

So what does position have to do with missing on recruits?

Maybe it's another Newman situation where the kid wants to play a different spot than Cal wants him to play. Maybe Cal told the kid he wanted him to play the 4 spot and that turned him off because he doesn't want to guard big guys. Maybe FSU promised to let him play the 1 or 2 spots.

You're right, though, it's something to talk about.

I just don't get why people even pay attention to PG, SG, SF, PF, and C so much anymore when guys listed as SGs play the 3 as much as guys listed as SFs and SFs play the 4 a lot these days.

Based on how they are classified by the recruiting services, we will start a PG, PG, PG, SF, C this year and we should be a national contender.

Duke started a PG, PG, SG, SF, C last year on a championship team.

Notre Dame almost beat us with a PG, SG, SG, SG, PF lineup.

Good discussion, like you said. I am enjoying it.

Brings back the time Coach Hamilton stole Darius Rice from Coach Smith. Players pick FSU and slide into obscurity.

Yep, and Chris Singleton. Hard to fight that lure of infamy for willowy 6'9" guys.

He won't win at FSU. Leonard Hamilton couldn't coach a whore to bed.
Cereal-Guy-Spitting.jpg

I know we are big on Isaacs, but Langford was the bigger loss because inroads with him.

Even still, presumably returning Ulis, Matthews, and Mulder is a good start to next season. Just land a decent big and a scoring wing and UK will be fine. Got to imagine Simmons is UK-bound.

I know we are big on Isaacs, but Langford was the bigger loss because inroads with him.

Even still, presumably returning Ulis, Matthews, and Mulder is a good start to next season. Just land a decent big and a scoring wing and UK will be fine. Got to imagine Simmons is UK-bound.

If Lee and Wynyard also return, we may not need much.

Ulis, Mulder, Matthews, Lee, and Wynyard make a great returning core.

Just two or three studs and we are good to go for 16-17.

Simmons, Monk, and Ayton would be great.

G Ulis/Hawkins
G Simmons/Mulder
G Monk/Matthews
F Lee/Willis
F Ayton/Wynyard

If Lee and Wynyard also return, we may not need much.

Ulis, Mulder, Matthews, Lee, and Wynyard make a great returning core.

Just two or three studs and we are good to go for 16-17.

Simmons, Monk, and Ayton would be great.

G Ulis/Hawkins
G Simmons/Mulder
G Monk/Matthews
F Lee/Willis
F Ayton/Wynyard

You think Monk will spurn Arkansas for the out-of-state school?

Leonard was always an excellent recruiter $temming from his days at UK. Him getting recruits should surprise no one.

You think Monk will spurn Arkansas for the out-of-state school?

Its going to be a battle to get him out of Arkansas, but if he is serious about his career in basketball, he will go to UK.

Anderson has not shown that he can get guys to the league on a consistent basis.

Monk could lose millions by staying home.

Alkins is another possibility at guard and he might be more realistic.

Still, I would love to see Monk in blue.

What do you guys think the chances of Ayton coming to UK ?

On our end, he is priority number one for whichever class he ultimately ends up in. Even if he moves up to 2016, he tops Giles, especially with Giles looking to be a Duke lock.

On his end, well three of the last six top overall picks were UK players and this kid wants to be and should the top pick in his draft class, so we have to get some serious consideration.

Someone said its UK or Duke. If so, I like our chances if Ayton moves to 2016 since Duke is likely to get Giles and they play the same position for Duke. I don't see K playing two bigs together. He has never had much success with two post players. K likes four perimeter guys around one dominant post.

ADVERTISEMENT