ADVERTISEMENT

2015-16 Kentucky basketball

Blue Decade

All-American
May 3, 2013
Happy 4th of July to everyone. Our independence in this country is about having choices and building future successes. In that spirit, I dedicate my 3,000th post to future success of Kentucky basketball. Being honest, John Calipari and Mike Krzyzewski are the 2 best coaches in college basketball. Some of you hate Krzyzewski, but facts are facts. Year in and year out, no 1 else recruits and teaches basketball like Calipari and Krzyzewski do. But Calipari is the ultimate innovator. Our fans look back on last year's team with disappointment, because results did not meet people's expectations. But if expectations are sane, a 38-1 team that reaches the FF should not be a disappointment. This is a great time to be a Kentucky fan. Winning the national championship takes talent, great play, and luck too. Our 1998 team won the national championship, but we have had better teams than 1998 not lucky enough to close it out. With that, I am very optimistic about the team Calipari has built for 2015-16, another great Kentucky team and a worthy successor. Last year's team was built around Towns offensively and Cauley Stein defensively. Other teams tried to deny passing lanes to our post players, which was all they could do. So when Booker and the twins were hitting their perimeter shots, we were invincible. But when our perimeter shots did not fall, our offensive pace slowed and we became vulnerable. In the FF, it finally caught up. This year, Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray give us a different offensive dimension, because they are unstoppable with dribble penetration. Although our guards are the strength of our next team, it won't necessarily be about the perimeter. They will score from midrange, and Murray and Briscoe are elite finishers too. Our baseline is a little thin, but Labissiere and Poythress are elite players. Calipari has said this will be Lee's breakout year. I look for a completely different style this time, a better and more versatile offensive team. As long as Labissiere stays out of foul trouble, this team will go as far as its defensive learning curve takes it. Winning the national championship is difficult and complicated, but I like our chances this year. Would rather be us than them. Hope everyone has a great Independence Day!

Yeah we're stacked and its gonna be an awesome year. I like our chances to get 9 too. To quote Bart Scott. "Cant Wait"

I'm with you. It's going to be another fun season.

I wouldn't want any other team in the country, right now.

Our starting five has the potential to be be the best in the nation, if Poy is healthy. And Lee should be a great sixth man. Are there any other teams that can boast that their top six are all 5-star, top 20 players out of HS?

If Poy is healthy and can stay healthy (along with every one else) we should be in the hunt for a title.

We have had to deal with a season-ending injury to a starter in each of the last three seasons. Our luck has to change eventually. Hopefully it does this season.

Enjoy the ride BBN, it might not end with a title, but we have a great shot (as good as any and better than most).

Reactions: true blue1
I'm with you. It's going to be another fun season.

I wouldn't want any other team in the country, right now.

Our starting five has the potential to be be the best in the nation, if Poy is healthy. And Lee should be a great sixth man. Are there any other teams that can boast that their top six are all 5-star, top 20 players out of HS?

If Poy is healthy and can stay healthy (along with every one else) we should be in the hunt for a title.

We have had to deal with a season-ending injury to a starter in each of the last three seasons. Our luck has to change eventually. Hopefully it does this season.

Enjoy the ride BBN, it might not end with a title, but we have a great shot (as good as any and better than most).
Agree, I wouldn't trade rosters with any other team either. We have some questions. There will be a lot of pressure on Labissiere to play great interior defense without getting into foul trouble. Poythress will have to make a full physical recovery, which is not as guaranteed in such a short timeframe as a lot of people probably think. Lee must learn to shoot. But our upside is huge, while our floor is probably that of a top 5 team as long as there are no serious injuries to key players.

Reactions: true blue1
Happy 4th OP, although it may be after midnight where you live!

And I agree with your post...it was just hard for me to read for some reason today. That may be a sign I'm getting old and need reading glasses. I will disagree that UK lost in the Final Four because our guards were not hitting shots. UK actually shot 4/8 from three against ND (Let's be real, UK SHOULD have lost that game and not even made the Final Four) and I believe they were 3/3 from 3 the first 39 minutes against Wisconsin, and were making a lot higher percentage 2 point shots until the dreaded last 5 minutes of the game. I agree they were streaky at best from 3, but it was not why they lost. One can argue we should attempted more (not going to agree or disagree, but 38-1 was pretty great IMO).

I think our guards this year can drive in the lane and score, and hit the 3. I think we will be a very good shooting team and jack up more 3's this year overall. I think UK has a great shot at winning #9, but I'm not expecting it after this past season. I am just going to enjoy the journey and see what happens.

After three long months, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I feel after another month or two, I can actually be ready for next season. (Thank God that Cal has better recuperative powers than me)

ADVERTISEMENT