ADVERTISEMENT

15-Year-Old Bol Bol's Latest Mix Tape

looks like his daddy, can they preemptively just go ahead and put titanium rods in his legs, those things are just one awkward landing away from snapping in about 5 places.

"Has a lot of AD in him"..... They both have toenails. The similarities stop there.

The kid is 15 if he keeps workin and adds weight he is going to be special---indy

Man, we are one generation away from basketball being a radically different game for the first time in several decades. There's a gene pool of superfreaks out there and we're about to see their offspring, plus extensive training and opportunity and focus and year round competition, burst onto the scene.

It's already starting, and we see bits and pieces, but it isn't pervasive enough to be an overhauling force. Yet.

Reactions: SosaUK
It was hard to follow his dribbling down the floor but his outside shot looked like he keeps his elbow down on his shooting hand which looked strange.

First of all, Bol Bol is a hell of a name. Second, old Manute must of had some real dominant genes. Third, every cruise has it's own Manute Bol!

I don't think he'd be shooting that weird set shot at UK, even if it does seem to go in. He'd be like a larger than life Marcus Lee... rebound, block, energy, lob and dunk. That alone could be worth the price of admission.

First of all, Bol Bol is a hell of a name

Even Ralph Hacker couldn't screw that up. On second thought....

The kid is 15 if he keeps workin and adds weight he is going to be special---indy
But that's the thing- we know what his father looked like, so there's little reason to think that those matchstick arms and legs are ever going to fill out substantially.

The kid is likely to be a high-level player, but he has the same issue as Thon Maker. It's great that you're 7'0" tall and able to display legit perimeter skills, but unless you're a Kevin Durant-level athlete, it's just not likely that you're going to be agile enough to really play a perimeter position at that height. And if you're also not strong enough to play in the lane, what does that make you, except possibly the best thing on the island of misfit toys?

Mehh.... I've heard that before. Many times before, in fact, and it never seems to play out as dramatically as people predicted. Hell, I remember as far back as 86 when Houston reached the NBA Finals with that "twin tower" combo of Hakeem of Ralph Sampson everybody started screaming about how this was supposedly the future of the game, and predicting how from now on everyone would be trotting out lineups with multiple 7 foot athletic superfreaks. But guess what? Did not happen. In fact, if anything, the NBA has gone the opposite direction in recent years with "small ball" becoming all the rage (hell, the warriors just won the NBA title starting 6'7" Draymond Green at center).

A more recent example is Thon Maker. A few years ago people were freaking out over his mixtapes, proclaiming him the greatest 14/15 year old prospect ever, saying there'd never been another prospect quite like him, claiming he'd revolutionize the game, etc. But what happened? His stock has dropped considerably since then, he's no longer seen as a game changer, no longer really seen as anything other than just another upper tier prospect whose stock has been dropping. Wouldn't be surprised if this Bol kid sees a similarly disappointing developmental arc.

I'm not saying Bol or Maker or any of those guys are going to revolutionize anything. I only posted that thought in this thread because he's the son of another genetic freak and we see that it translated, at least in a fairly large amount, to him.

All I meant was that I think we're about to see more and more of these type of stories, where dad was a gigantic human (even if that just means 6'8 "small ball" types) with NBA skills, and the kid has those genes, that teaching, that pedigree, and the opportunity that comes from that.

It's not really a "new" thing, and you already see guys like Steph Curry (where the teaching/opportunity essentially made him a success, not genes) or Klay Thompson or Austin Rivers.

It won't always work, of course, and I don't just mean 7 foot guards, I'm only saying that the more of these really big humans, with really impressive physical gifts, with considerable skill, and unlimited resources, we expose to this new world of year-round, highly competitive basketball training, and the larger that sample size of the population becomes, the more we're going to see incredible results.

And then, in another generation, you're looking at a much larger number of people that fit that criteria, and so the odds are, all other things even remaining equal, you're going to see a ridiculous influx of those type of specimens, at least compared to the relatively steady level we saw in the previous 30 years or so.

ADVERTISEMENT